Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Neverwinter Nights OC and it's making me suicidal.

I remember playing this the year it came out, though I had to put it down for a few months until I upgraded my video card. It was one of my first, if not the first 3D RPGs, I played. You could at least play evil, and it had one C&C that I'll always remember: when you're sent to retrieve a cherished ring from a little girl. You had the choice to let the little girl keep the ring for sentimental reasons, or you had this: "Give me that ring right now or I'll be prying it from your cold, dead hands!!" It was the first RPG I played where I saw a clearly evil C&C in a dialogue choice. So it had this at least and I'll always remember the OC for this reason. I remember liking the ambient sounds of NPCs talking or crying/wailing in the background too.

It was a start at least and served as a good tutorial module for what would come later with all the great user-made content. It was also at the time my mother was dying so it helped take my mind off that too (she died just a few weeks later). Interestingly, there was a random guy I was co-oping online with on an NWN server one night that told me his father was in the hospital and wasn't expected to live for more than a day or two who used NWN for the same reason.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Currently playing this.

Dungeon Crawl version 4.0.0 beta 26 character file.

3 the Brawler (Troll)
(Level 16 Fighter)

Play time: 09:08:43 Number of turns: 51088

Experience : 16/196850
Strength 28 Dexterity 9 Intelligence 9
Hit Points : 145 Magic Points : 20
AC : 9 Evasion : 17 Shield : 0
GP : 558

You are in the Lair.
You worship Makhleb.
Makhleb is exalted by your worship.
You are full.

Inventory:
Hand weapons
p - a +5,+5 giant spiked club of piercing
w - an uncursed great sword
L - an uncursed long sword
N - a +4,+4 eveningstar of draining
O - an uncursed runed battleaxe
Armour
u - a +1 elven cloak (worn)
J - an uncursed elven robe
K - a +3 robe of magic resistance (worn)
R - a +0 troll leather armour
Magical devices
b - a wand of digging (12)
h - a wand of cold (5)
o - a wand of teleportation (15)
r - a wand of draining
v - a wand of disintegration
x - a wand of draining (0)
P - a wand of fire (10)
Comestibles
a - 10 meat rations
g - a royal jelly
F - 4 pears
G - 3 chokos
Scrolls
i - 2 scrolls of fear
j - 5 scrolls of teleportation
t - 3 scrolls of remove curse
z - a scroll of immolation
I - a scroll of random uselessness
X - a scroll of paper
Y - a scroll of identify
Jewellery
d - an amulet of rage (around neck)
e - a cursed ring of teleportation
k - a ring of invisibility
m - a ring of sustain abilities
n - a ring of protection from fire
q - an amulet of conservation
A - a ring of levitation
C - an amulet of clarity
E - a +2 ring of evasion
H - a +5 ring of intelligence
S - a ring of poison resistance (right hand)
T - a ring of sustenance (left hand)
Potions
c - a potion of might
l - a slimy brown potion
s - 6 potions of healing
y - a potion of restore abilities
B - 3 potions of invisibility
D - 6 potions of heal wounds
Q - 2 potions of speed
U - an orange potion
Books
f - a tome of Destruction
M - a book of Necromancy
V - a book of Power
W - a book of the Tempests

You have 5 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 9 Fighting
+ Level 6 Maces & Flails
+ Level 14 Dodging
+ Level 3 Stealth
+ Level 17 Unarmed Combat
+ Level 3 Spellcasting
+ Level 3 Enchantments
+ Level 6 Necromancy
+ Level 2 Transmigration
+ Level 3 Earth Magic
+ Level 7 Invocations
+ Level 2 Evocations

You have one spell level left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells Type Success Level
a - Pain Necromancy Great 1
b - Sandblast Earth/Transmigration Very Good 1
c - Vampiric Draining Necromancy Very Good 3
d - Regeneration Enchantment/Necromancy Good 3
e - Stoneskin Earth/Transmigration Good 2
f - Magic Dart Conjuration Fair 1
g - Summon Small Mammals Summoning Fair 1
h - Blink Translocation Poor 2
i - Detect Creatures Divination Poor 2
j - Dispel Undead Necromancy Good 4

As you can clearly see, it's the best Troll mage the world ever seen and is still alive. With INT far above standard Troll 3-4.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Diablo + Hellfire, for the first time. The amount of Shitspamming Spellflingers in the Demon Crypts is too damn high.

Deleted member 7219

I remember playing this the year it came out, though I had to put it down for a few months until I upgraded my video card. It was one of my first, if not the first 3D RPGs, I played. You could at least play evil, and it had one C&C that I'll always remember: when you're sent to retrieve a cherished ring from a little girl. You had the choice to let the little girl keep the ring for sentimental reasons, or you had this: "Give me that ring right now or I'll be prying it from your cold, dead hands!!" It was the first RPG I played where I saw a clearly evil C&C in a dialogue choice. So it had this at least and I'll always remember the OC for this reason. I remember liking the ambient sounds of NPCs talking or crying/wailing in the background too.

It was a start at least and served as a good tutorial module for what would come later with all the great user-made content. It was also at the time my mother was dying so it helped take my mind off that too (she died just a few weeks later). Interestingly, there was a random guy I was co-oping online with on an NWN server one night that told me his father was in the hospital and wasn't expected to live for more than a day or two who used NWN for the same reason.

NWN OC was definitely atmospheric for all the reasons you mentioned. Great, great soundtrack too.

I don't understand the hate it gets here, except hate coming from the usual edgelords. Against the strongest narrative-focused RPGs, of course it fails. And its RTWP combat doesn't appeal to some. In terms of the OC itself, there are some combat heavy areas, but what RPG doesn't have those?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

NWN OC was definitely atmospheric for all the reasons you mentioned. Great, great soundtrack too.

I don't understand the hate it gets here, except hate coming from the usual edgelords. Against the strongest narrative-focused RPGs, of course it fails. And its RTWP combat doesn't appeal to some. In terms of the OC itself, there are some combat heavy areas, but what RPG doesn't have those?
I hated that you have only 1 sidekick character, which you couldn't even control and equip. Plus the graphics were a bit ugly. But otherwise I liked it.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I don't understand the hate it gets here
That you like NWN for mutliplayer especially or even single player user-made modules (I never played even one) is one thing and after all that's what the game was designed for but absolutely everything about NWN OC from gameplay to production values is terrible compared with Baldur's Gate 1&2, it's just a terrible-looking game where you control only one character in combat, combat is the most important part of the game so it's a big deal that it's awful, character sheet sure is furnished but that's about it, it's pure decline as a single player campaign compared with their previous games.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I hated that you have only 1 sidekick character, which you couldn't even control and equip. Plus the graphics were a bit ugly. But otherwise I liked it.

I actually quite liked the graphics and animations in NWN at the time, especially certain spell effects, like AoE acid and fire attacks or some spectral spells like Wail of the Banshee . And once the community started doing all the great D&D modules and creating major QoL improvements (ie henchmen inventories) and some visual improvements, it's no wonder the game is still popular. But yeah, it would be hard going back to that OC after all these years after the much better expansions + so much great community content. But for me, NWN was a seminal cRPG experience, despite its warts.

Ivan

Arcane
Amended thoughts after completing Cyber Shadow.

If you'd like a game to consistently break your balls and make you yell at the developers for their enemy placement, give this a go. While I was often frustrated, I also acknowledge that such an experience is pretty rare nowadays where most games try to make things way too easy with generous skill trees or overpowered items. Anyway, a nice throwback to a time when games kicked your ass and you either bear-up or give up.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Fuck me I hate gamepass on pc...

So football manager 2021 was added yesterday, I download it, download the face packs, logos, graphics mods, and most importantly the community files that change player, club and competition names from the fake ones in the game to the proper ones.

Thing is, the gamepass windows store app downloads all the games to a Windowsapps folder, a folder which is completely locked from user modification, even if you are the administrator and have all user privileges, you can't delete, alter or even copy game files... In your own fucking computer. Making it impossible to apply the mods.

Villagkouras

Arcane

So football manager 2021 was added yesterday, I download it, download the face packs, logos, graphics mods, and most importantly the community files that change player, club and competition names from the fake ones in the game to the proper ones.

Thing is, the gamepass windows store app downloads all the games to a Windowsapps folder, a folder which is completely locked from user modification, even if you are the administrator and have all user privileges, you can't delete, alter or even copy game files... In your own fucking computer. Making it impossible to apply the mods.
You have to store them elsewhere. I think it's somewhere in My Files/sigames, something like that. I did it last year because I had it on Gamepass too. It was a matter of googling a bit.

Puukko

Arcane

I ran into the same issue. I really didn't end up making much use at all of the 3 months I had.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
So the conversation we had not long ago about Jim Maher and his usual revisionism (this time on Ultima 8) reminded me of his horrendously shitty revisionist retrospective of the old Simon & Schuster Star Trek games of the 80s. He outright makes shit up to make them look worse, which is weird because I didn't remember them being particularly good to begin with and so it should be easy enough to pan them for what they really are. The funniest bit was that for some reason he was absolutely intent on making S&S be liars, so in order to do that... he lied about one element of the box, in order to claim that S&S were lying about it... so I decided to go back and replay them and find out for myself what they're worth.

Anyway, microreviews of some of the games follows. This did get me on a Star Trek gaming roll so expect more to follow in the future.

The Kobayashi Alternative (1985-1987)
This is the one that started it all, and it did not start well.
The concept of the game was fascinating (remember, this was 1985). You visited different planets, gathered clues that helped you find other planets or specific coordinates on a particular planet, the game was almost completely nonlinear, it was possible to mess up and lock out some clues, but some of the info could be obtained multiple ways, and you didn't need ALL the clues to win... there was so much potential in there.
Unfortunately the game itself was a chore. The UI was a laudable attempt at doing something different: unlike usual IF, what you type is what you're actually saying, or ordering others to do; actually doing stuff (getting and using items, examining things) is done with function keys. But the functions were so limited that the puzzles were either stupid easy or just plain stupid, and the parser was pretty bad, so bad in fact that the manual actually listed the very small number of sentences it'd actually recognize. Planets were reproduced in their almost entirety and you could actually walk or beam around the entire surface, but there was no exploration to speak of, and practically if you didn't have the coordinates you needed there was no point in any of the wilderness (kinda like Daggerfall). The overarching story could've worked out really well if it fit better, but as it is most of the major plot points come out of nowhere at the end (though some of the foreshadowing along the way, as well as the individual planet stories, can be quite cool)
The worst problem was that the initial release was so buggy it was virtually unplayable. S&S spent more than a year patching the game, and even that was still full of bugs. The DOS v1.1 can at least be completed, but so many scripts are bugged that some puzzle solutions make no sense, some things you do don't reward you the way they're supposed to, and huge chunks of content simply do not work other than window dressing (there's like ONE deck on the Enterprise, of the 23 you can explore, that has any relevance to anything)
It's hard to recommend this one. If you like the idea of playing Kirk, typing out "Ahead warp factor 4" or "Kirk to Scotty" or "Bones, tricorder readings", beaming down to explore planets and help the locals with their problems, then beam back up and blast some Klingon ships, then you might get some enjoyment out of it. The problem is that the concept and idea of what you're doing is a lot more fun than the actual moment to moment gameplay.
Be sure to stick to DOS v1.1, the older version is even buggier; avoid both Apple versions as they have bugs along the critical path.

First Contact (1988)
No, this has nothing to do with the movie, and predates it by years.
Same developer as the previous one, same weird interface, but MUCH more polished, and the interface is used much better here. No endless trudging around empty planets, no real bugs (although, be careful when you save your game; do so only when it doesn't seem like you're in the middle of a scripted sequence). The puzzles are still not great (and some seem to almost solve themselves), the story tries to go with multiple threads but they don't quite come together in a satisfactory way; though the end game is quite good and reminded me of the one used much later for Judgment Rites.
Better than the first, but it also loses a lot of the interesting aspects and is much more traditional (maybe that's a good thing? I'm not sure either way)

The Promethean Prophecy (1986)
Looks superficially like the others, but it's a completely different engine and developer.
This one is a an almost purely traditional text adventure without any of the experimental trappings. Barring one annoying timed sequence, and a chronic (but quite rare) get-to-shelter alarm, it's also much more relaxed in pacing. Most of the game involves beaming down to a planet, making contact with the civilization there, then trying to piece together what is going on and what this civilization really is (they've forgotten that too). Puzzles are mostly logical, though some require actually immersing yourself in the civilization's logic (team members' comments help with this). The mystery is quite fun to unravel one layer at a time, and I thought the ending was quite satisfying and brings together lots of things you'd been doing throughout the game.
It's not the best IF but it's a good one, and of the 3 games here I think it's the best one.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I beat Yakuza 5. What a ride. It's a shame that Shinada doesn't make an appearance in future games. It's a shame that some characters are only part of one game. On the other hand, I cant say that I know what they should have done with him in future installments. This game was a wild ride. Spent 100 hours on this beast.

In Pokemon White Version 2, I have beaten the eight gym leaders. I haven't really stayed with a core team. I'm trying out as many Pokemon as possible. I looked at the newly announced Pokemon games, and the remaster of Diamond/Pearl looks really ugly. Maybe I'll get that open world game, we'll see.

Bravely Default II. This is basically my substitute for Final Fantasy. While FF is more or less dead to me, this series gives me hope. From what little I have played, it's a mix of the SNES/PS1 games. The job system is good, and the combat is completely turn-based, like the previous games. My only complaints are that the game does not have great performance on the world map, and that they changed how the combat order works. In previous games, you got your turn, and then the enemy got their turn. Usually, I don't like that system, but it works better for Bravely Default series, due to the brave/default system. It's not a deal-breaker, though.

Learned
Have been playing a bit of Project Diablo 2. It's good to go back to DII but some of the major changes like total tree revamps feel completely unnecessary. Maybe they feel better with endgame gear?

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm currently playing Pathfinder Kingmaker, as I got distracted and didn't finish the first time. I really like it, but my barony is thriving and it seems to be permanently stuck on worried status. The reasoning is that I can't manage my finances or something. I went into BP debt breifly 3 months ago because of a text event in the throne room. I quickly bought myself out of the red, so I was in debt for less than an in game day. It's frustrating.

Anyone else have this issue with the game?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Been playing Remnant From the Ashes on PS plus.

Okay for free game. It's like Souls + Destiny. There are bonfires and estus stones, but no death penalty and every boss has a checkpoint right next to it. Interestingly, the items are fixed but the drops are not. You won't get every item on every run. Even bosses are random. Each area has 2 boss with 2 possible weapon drops, so you have to beat each level 4 times if you want everything.

Worst things--Boss fights have adds out the wazoo which makes them infuriating solo. At least co op is seamless. Also the graphics are eye-bleeding. Everything brown, black, and red.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
LOLLOLOL BROS MONSTER HUNTER WORLD STILL PLAYING HERE AND THEIR

DOING HALF LIFE LAEX VR SHIT SOMETIMES

ALSO STARTED MG REVENGANCE
WAY TOO MANY CUTSCENES AT FIRST ALMOST SAID FUCK IT

GAME OPENED UP THOUGH FUN NOW BUT DIFFERENT FLOW FROM THINGS LIKE NIJA GAIDEN OR BAYONETTA

TOOK ME A BIT TO CATHX ON

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Dropped Baldurs Gate 2 as it played like BG with ADHD and high on sugar.
Plus its linear and all about fighting mages.
BG is vastly superior, but i guess i like slow paced low level rpgs with expoloration. BG2 aint it.

Started Heavy Metal FAKK 2 and Populous 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom