Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How was your first time?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
To talk about something else than in the other threads, i bought my first PC game before i even had the computer so by the time i got it, i had read Heroes of Might & Magic II manual about 3 or 4 times already...

So of course, when i launched the game, i knew exactly which skills i wanted on the main hero.

Well, it's more of a hybrid strategy game with RPG elements and i had played RPG before on different platforms or at friend's.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
The first RPG like thing I ever played was a board game called Hero Quest.

I don’t remember exactly what my first video game RPG was. Probably Final Fantasy 2 on the SNES.

My first CRPG was Stonekeep. Never got very far in it as a kid.

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Chrono Trigger, from a CD-R an uncle gave me for my birthday, featuring "the Super Nintendo emulator" (ZSNES) plus a whole bunch of ROM files. Didn't know you could create a "save state" of any game, so I had to replay it from the start every time. Good times.

It's one of the very few JRPGs I still like to this day.

cocorulverde

Educated
The first RPG like thing I ever played was a board game called Hero Quest.
Heh, played it a lot on a local ZX Spectrum clone. Loved it.

First PC RPG I played was Daggerfall. Rented the CD, liked it so much that I deleted almost everything on my HDD (had a 540MB one, Windows had to go), copied the CD, managed to make it work without the CD in the drive and for five or six months the only things I had on my PC were Enemy Unknown, Daggerfall and Borland C++ for school.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
rogue-80.gif

Rogue, played on-line

Or Dungeons & Dragons, if we aren't specifying CRPGs.

First CRPG owned was Faery Tale Adventure

whvjXxJ.jpg

kA3m1cp.png

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wizardry 1, Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. I don't remember if it was actually 1980 but it could have been. A couple of friends (twin brothers) had the game at their house and invited our little group of nerds and outcasts over to look at it. The plan was we would each make a character that would be "ours", one of the brothers would actually sit at the keyboard and "drive", and when it was our character's turn we would yell out what they would do. The name field allowed 15 characters so my avatar was going to be a Hobbit Thief named BRUNO SEDGEWICK. I still remember the pencil drawing I made of Bruno, a smiling halfling with blonde hair and leather armor, in anticipation of playing the character. The promise and the potential were intoxicating. I don't think we ever actually played the game, certainly not more than half an hour total, but does that really matter?

Gregz

Arcane
The Bard's Tale in 1987 was my first real cRPG.

I would set my alarm for 3am to have a few hours to play before the bus took me to school.

I've never been so hooked on anything in my life.

KateMicucci

Arcane
My first game was Ultima VII.

The first town is fairly large but walled, and the guards will not open the gates for you without the mayor's permission. Before the mayor will give you permission to leave, you have to answer a series of bizarre questions with a numerical value between 1-99.

This was the copy protection. The answers were in the manual. I didn't know that. I spent a long time searching the town and reading every book in order to try and figure out the answers. I also spent a lot of time stealing all of the weapons and fighting the endless waves of guards.

I also had Serpent Isle. In that game, you sail to an island where magic lightning changes and moves the things it strikes. As soon as you land a lady asks you the bizarre questions. If you fail her questions, you gain the ability to speak to animals, who start talking nonsense. You can't escape from the starting area because there's a gate that a guard won't open. I thought that this was how the game was supposed to be and it was just a puzzle to solve that I couldn't figure out.

Last edited:

bussinrounds

Augur
First cRPG was Ultima 3 in 83'. I didn't have a computer, but I use to go over my friends house all the time to play.

Then I'd go home and play AD&D Treasure of Tarmin on my Intellivision.

slymer

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Bard's Tale 2 on my C128. Played for hours on end, wandered aimlessly usually lost deep in a dungeon, never accomplished anything. Good times!

Mortmal

Arcane
rogue-80.gif

Rogue, played on-line

Or Dungeons & Dragons, if we aren't specifying CRPGs.

First CRPG owned was Faery Tale Adventure

whvjXxJ.jpg

kA3m1cp.png
I remember this one too, what is funny is the same people who will rate this incline, will shit on skyrim. This game was one of the first action rpg with almost no character development.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
First RPG experience I've had was amazing, I was playing it with my bro (co-op in 1990!) and it blew our little minds. The world map is huge, I remember having to memorize landmarks and freaking out when getting lost.
Littleninjabrothers-label.jpg

Robin Hood was also pretty sweet with a unique weapons system (chicken drumstick ftw), advanced inventory system and exploration. My cartidge language was fucking German, but it didn't really matter.
Robin_Hood_-_Prince_of_Thieves_Coverart.png

Good memories, blissful times.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Dragon Warrior on the NES. Came free with Nintendo Power.

My dad made fun of it, said it 'wasn't a real game' because 'you don't actually play it.' (he meant the menu combat)

Looking back, Dragon Warrior is a crap game. But recall that NES games were all twitch-reflexes and high challenge, so a game you could relax and play at your own pace was pretty amazing for a kid. I think I got into RPGs because they are fundamentally easy games. Sooner or later progress is guaranteed, unlike an action title or a SHMUP. Although NES Ultima 4 and SNES 7th Saga took me years to beat.

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
My first RPG was Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven.
I was playing only FPS games then and a friend was talking about MM6.
I could not imagine how to control 4 player character at once. So borrowed the game from him and tried to play it as an FPS. I did not like it at all that way.
But there were interesting features. In New Sorpigal when the night came suddenly it was all pitch black.

Every beginning is hard..now MM6 is one of my favorite games.

Miserable Panda

Educated
Fallout 2. I could not even read three sentences in English, so I had to play with a dictionary at hand. I fell in love with it the minute I left Arroyo.

jac8awol

Arbiter
Probably... Ancients 1 Deathwatch. Blobber RPG that my friend got free with some computer mag. Copied it onto 3.5 inch floppies and tried to get our other friends interested. It had that D&D kind of party creation where you roll character stats, thought it was awesome. We got to see which friends were into RPGs and which weren't. It was such a shock when some buddies showed no interest in the fantasy setting and role playing aspects.

Then Fallout 1 a few years later. Got it in some kind of Interplay bundle I think. First time I tried I didn't get it at all and gave up because it seemed like you could do anything, it was too free and I had no idea what I was meant to be doing. Gave it another try after a few months and things just clicked. Amazing.

Oberon

Learned
As a kid I played the Castle of the Winds demo and Exile 2 demo into the ground. I used to download demos off of a site called Happypuppy, my parents would never in a million years buy the full versions, especially back then when you had to mail order the games. My brother got Dungeon Master 2 for his birthday once and we played the hell out of that.
First full RPGs I played were Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore.
I also used to make RPGs on paper using increasingly complex systems and play them by myself.

PlacidDragon

Educated
I dont remember which was the first "proper" RPG i played.. i know it was on the C-64, i know it was in the mid / late 1980's. I think it was either "The Bards Tale" or "The Eternal Dagger". It was definitely love at first sight.. then came "Wasteland" (which i sunk an ungodly amount of hours into) and the SSI D&D gold box classics, etc...

Pechorin

Hmm. Now that I have thought about it twice, I remember that my first RPG was the original Diablo on PSX.

Calthaer

Educated
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Pokemon Blue
Same. I was four years old when my older brother and I each got a Gameboy Colour and Pokemon Blue & Red, respectively, for Christmas 1999. It helped teach me how to read.

I know some folks don't like Pokémon, but it really is one of the greatest RPGs of the last few decades. I get that the story is simplistic - it's definitely "training wheels" for little kids on that front. But the character customization options are just so vast...you can breed, train, and customize your party in so many different ways. The rock / paper / scissors aspect of typology in the game has oceans of complexity sitting underneath of it. I stopped playing after HeartGold / SoulSilver...just got to be too much and too many, especially with all the promos you had to keep up with. But it's a great RPG series. I feel like it really needs a reboot - they need to cull the list of ~900 down to like 500 and cut out the duplicates (e.g., keep one of either Caterpie / Weedle, but not both) and get rid of the dumb promo business.

It must have been somewhere in my 20s when I got these original games and started playing them, just to see what all the hype was about. I didn't regret it - was hooked on these games for like 10 years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom