Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk - parodic fantasy tactical RPG - now with Back to the Futon DLC

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
To those who have the game, can it be played in French with English subtitles?

Parabalus

Arcane
Fantastic game, surprised this isn't more popular. If you enjoy the humour easy GOTY.

Only nitpick is that the economy is a bit too lenient even on Nightmare, you could prob spam through the encounters without some self-discipline.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Fantastic game, surprised this isn't more popular. If you enjoy the humour easy GOTY.

Only nitpick is that the economy is a bit too lenient even on Nightmare, you could prob spam through the encounters without some self-discipline.

Agreed, enjoyed it immensely. Albeit since it is a dungeon crawler it is more on the linear side and is limited customization-wise in regards to equipment.

However, very rock-solid in terms of bugs and stability.

Parabalus

Arcane
Great ending.

The boss fights seemed fine difficulty wise, the 'secret' one was fun.

The random mooks in-between do get easier as you progress, with some fights even being over in one round. It feels pretty good to see your party progress to stomping trash, coming from the struggle in the beginning.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Just got this on Steam discount (not that big, 25%, but I'm desperately trying to avoid playing PF:K for the baziilionth time).

This is very enjoyable, it's quite a well thought-out system that makes for smooth gameplay and fairly flexible building (it seems, not got that far yet).

I'm not generally fond of cartoony graphics and self-referential humor, I tend to prefer the "realism" side of things; but they're well done enough here (art design, writing, VO) that I don't mind it too much, and sometimes my lip will inadvertently curl into a vague smile :) And of course cartoony graphics always have the advantage for gameplay that they're easy to read visually. In the context of enjoying the recent thread on "things you always do in RPGs," the funniest bits are when the game plays on those tropes.

I wouldn't have put it above Troubleshooter as 2020 GOTY though, Troubleshooter is a much deeper, richer and more innovative gaming experience. Fucking plebs.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Just a side-note, the game has a lot of charm if you zoom in close while exploring and follow your characters, and zoom in close on the conversations too. It actually works quite well with a combination of LMB press and drag (ARPG style) and jockeying the camera a bit with A, D, Q and E. Bizarrely it's quite intuitive to use. Combat also has a nice feel zoomed in close too (obviously you zoom out at times to get the lay of things, but you can spend a surprising amount of combat time zoomed in observing the detailed animations, the physics of bags rattling around on straps, etc., and it gives the combat a more up close and personal feel as opposed to the more detached god's eye view. Just a flavour option, but it's nice to have. The visual magnification matches the detailed sense you have in your mind of what's going on, esp if you also use the concise but informative tooltips a lot.)

I was playing it all zoomed out all the time on first playthrough (with priestess, nearly done), but I've started another 2 playthroughs (Paladin and Minstrel) playing mainly with camera close and the detail in the graphics and animations is AAA class.

Small niggle though: the camera automatically zooms out for conversations - I wish it would just stay at the zoom level you have it. Another 2 very minor niggles I have are the gold outlines (why does EVERY SINGLE FUCKING GAME have those outlines these days? I fucking HATE it), and the way the models are shaded so that they have a kind of back side-lighting no matter what the environmental lighting is. Other than those very minor gripes, it's pretty amazing close up, graphically. The clutter is remarkably detailed and beautifully done.

The Paladin and Minstrel gameplay are different enough to give the game some replayability - some of the chit-chat is also different and has its own amusements, plus the 3 "extra" characters have a unique quest each that's reasonably hefty.

I must confess I've even come to enjoy the humor quite a bit. I "get it" now - it's meant to represent the feel of a PnP group wrangling and semi-LARPing. (Solasta is trying to do something similar, but in a more free-form and "serious" way, to take account of multiple character creation choices and C&C, whereas this is fairly linear and fixed, and light-hearted. But it's the same general idea - there are regular moments when the team has a little confab and the personalities come out, and that kinda-sorta mimics the feel of a group of players sitting round a table having fun.)

(Oh and later top tip: if you're finding the camera unintuitive try switching Q and E. Some people have a sense of "camera turns", others have a sense of "map turns", and you have to know which is most comfortable for you. You might be wrestling with the camera unnecessarily when a simple switch there will suddenly make it all click. The "invert y axis" is a similar thing - some people, especially those who cut their teeth on flight sims or games like Descent, have a sense of "mouse forward=nose down, mouse back=nose up", others have a sense of "painting" directly on the surface of the screen, so "mouse forward=up on the screen, mouse back=down on the screen".)

Last edited:

Bara

Arcane
About the ranger/stalker joke.

I've been told rangers were miss tranlated into stalkers in lotor amd original dnd in france and theres been a joking debate which one is better. Anyone a french native who can verify.

Rafidur

Learned
IIRC Aragorn was translated as Rôdeur which basically means shifty guy roaming around the neighbourhood.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Meh. The main issue is surviving the first turn where they unload all their big bad abilities all at once. If you can get everybody rezzed from that you can get into a rhythm where it doesn't really matter how many hp they have.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Which of the two Ranger team-wide "tactics" buffs do you guys tend to use, the aggressive +5 perception one, or the defensive +10 parry/dodge one? I've found the aggressive one too underwhelming to use (or only useful for clearing trash fights quicker) past the first couple of levels. The defensive one in the +2 Protection upgraded version, is really good team-wide damage mitigation in the early game, and in the later game the extra phys/mag resistance version s golden.

______

One thing I've noticed that's quite cute in the build system: the (e.g.) +4x version of a thing replaces the earlier +2x version. It's not a cumulative addition but a replacement. So it really represents what amounts to a solid additive commitment to a certain path without it being too OP. (Cyberpunk fails horribly from this, everything just stacks and stacks to ridiculous levels, which then in turn requires HP bloat in the mobs to compensate. One can't help but think that it's some kind of intern's oversight at CDPR - they forgot to make some of those numbers additive and left them all multiplicative! :) )

Also, just musing there that for me, games which deal in +1/-1 increments of numberage become familiar more quickly than games with more complexly-numbered stats. Even though one understands what's going on in principle, when numbers are complex it takes a while longer for the brain to become familiar with them). When numbers are like "+364 damage" one's eye just glazes over them at first, whereas when you're dealing with +1/-1 increments, they become cosy and familiar quite quickly. It suggests we have like a hardwired basic arithmetic module in our brain, something that's very ancient that we share with many other higher-order animals, a quick reckoning of small, simple numbers (such as might be represented by: objects one might wish to keep track of, creatures one might wish to look after or avoid, etc.)

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
This game is hard! Goblin war golems are double teaming my squishy elf!
This is probably the second hardest fight in the game. The second half of the game will be much easier.

Yeah I'm finding that. I'm now in the Chaos Dwarves' place and fights (on Nightmare) are getting comparatively easier than they used to be (I'm thinking of compared to encountering the lvl 6 stalkers in the caves when I was level 4 :) ). Partly me just being used to the mechanics and rhythm of the game, but I think also the team gets very powerful too, comparatively, though I wouldn't say it's OP. It's alright though because easing up on the difficulty satisfies the feeling of revenge one wants for having suffered in the earlier levels.

One does still have to be careful on Nightmare as the game progresses, but provided one doesn't get sloppy and sticks to the rules, it's not too bad. You're pretty confident your team can do well, but the mobs are still capable of tearing great chunks out of your chars now and then.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, just musing there that for me, games which deal in +1/-1 increments of numberage become familiar more quickly than games with more complexly-numbered stats. Even though one understands what's going on in principle, when numbers are complex it takes a while longer for the brain to become familiar with them). When numbers are like "+364 damage" one's eye just glazes over them at first, whereas when you're dealing with +1/-1 increments, they become cosy and familiar quite quickly. It suggests we have like a hardwired basic arithmetic module in our brain, something that's very ancient that we share with many other higher-order animals, a quick reckoning of small, simple numbers (such as might be represented by: objects one might wish to keep track of, creatures one might wish to look after or avoid, etc.)
I daresay bigger numbers end up looking more irrelevant, while smaller increments can make significant, perceptible impact.

KateMicucci

Arcane
I can't spell it but I like it.

The camera is ass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom