Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite Dangerous - Yay or Nay?

Retardo

Learned
After years, we can walk on planets and get ~*first footfall*~ credit. Wow, truly the kind of update the game needed.
I fucking hate FDev.
We also got first space gulag recently, so not everything is lost.
FDev being FDev, they'll soon patch this to oblivion.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Glad I never bought this crap. I just want X4 but done better, they could have done that.

Norfleet

It's an incidental MMO. The always-online system is just there to prevent piracy.
I'm not sure "preventing piracy" is actually a worthwhile goal. If I were gonna release a game, I'd deliberately leak it on PirateBay, way cheaper than having to pay people to advertise it. Ask yourself: Why do you think authors hand out free books? I mean, pirates may or may not actually buy games, but they sure as hell talk about them.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It's an incidental MMO. The always-online system is just there to prevent piracy.
I'm not sure "preventing piracy" is actually a worthwhile goal. If I were gonna release a game, I'd deliberately leak it on PirateBay, way cheaper than having to pay people to advertise it. Ask yourself: Why do you think authors hand out free books? I mean, pirates may or may not actually buy games, but they sure as hell talk about them.

Yea but if they handed out free copies of the game everyone would realize how fucking boring and empty it is right away.
The way they do it now they get your money first.
I just saw that Odyssey is like 35 bucks, too. Absolutely laughable.

Retardo

Learned
After years, we can walk on planets and get ~*first footfall*~ credit. Wow, truly the kind of update the game needed.
I fucking hate FDev.
Space gulag?
yup
https://www.thegamer.com/elite-dangerous-players-gulag-scam-trapped-newbies-farm-resources/

TL;DR: some guys scam newfags to join their private group, then make them sell FTL drives to install more mining equip, then carrier-jump them to a remote system they can't leave without FTL drive and make them mine void opals. People can't leave due to no FTL drives, if they suicide they respawn at the scammer's carrier, and their only way out is to start the game anew and lose all that shit they've grinded.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I fucking hate FDev.
Space gulag?
yup
https://www.thegamer.com/elite-dangerous-players-gulag-scam-trapped-newbies-farm-resources/

TL;DR: some guys scam newfags to join their private group, then make them sell FTL drives to install more mining equip, then carrier-jump them to a remote system they can't leave without FTL drive and make them mine void opals. People can't leave due to no FTL drives, if they suicide they respawn at the scammer's carrier, and their only way out is to start the game anew and lose all that shit they've grinded.

That's the most player interaction/agency I've ever seen in the game. Amazing.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The root of all problems with ED is it being a shitty MMO.

A shitty MMO, with very good gameplay. With that space combat, graphics and movement they could have make a great game. A missed oportunity.

I did enjoy it for 25 hours though. Not regreting backing it up on kickstarter.

spectre

Arcane
I agree, all the pieces are there, and they are pretty good. Shame it's put together the way it is.
I clocked about 100 hours in this game, it's been a love/hate relationship. On the one hand, it can be pretty amazing when it does things like this:

On the other, it's obnoxious when you need to alt tab to a third-party website to look up shit that should be in the game.
The tutorials were really bad. I've gotten to the point when I got this shit straight, but the basic in-game tutorial didn't even initialize,
the mining tutorial was plagued by broken scrips, a bunch of basic functions don't even have keybinds, etc. etc.
Overall, it feels like you're doing yourself a disservice by trying to figure out shit on your own.
You'll lose a lot of time bumbling about, and the game appears to be balanced around taking all kinds of shortcuts,
like exploiting instance reset on logout to gather engineering materials.

The best bit about the MMO part is that you can completely opt out, but some of the crap still shines through,
like when you discover planets already mapped by xX_puSSy_slay0r_Xx, or a Tits&Booze carrier.
Not to mention the MMO-esque grind for everything. Don't even get me started on the cretinous cosmetics store where I can either drop 10 bucks to unlock a different AI ship voice,
or grind the game for 20 weeks, because while you can get some premium currency, there's a ridiculously low weekly cap.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I enjoyed taking off and landing on planets, relaxing traversing beautiful space landscapes with goods to trade and deliver, upgrading my ship, and specially bounty hunting, because the combat and ship handling is fantastic.

I said I played for 25 hours , but I think I played more like 40-50 hours. Was starting to get bored because it felt aimless and repetitive.

Imagine a good designed campaign with tightly crafted combat missions, some exploration, upgrading an testing new ships; all soundly paced. They could have done it even with coop, and it would have been a massive hit.

Basically a modern Freespace 2 with more exploration and some upgrading.

Higher Game

Arcane
I just now tried this out, and I noticed how beefy the ships all are. Combat lasts a long time, appropriate for an MMO, not an arcade based single player game where you die in seconds and then restart in seconds. It certainly feels like it's actually designed for groups, not as a cynical way to prevent piracy, because of how effective it is to focus on a single target before the shields regen. I just have no idea why they can nail the universe, engine, and gameplay so well but fail to set up a proper economy, quests, story, etc.

This or Star Citizen might be awesome games by 2027 or whenever, heh...

spectre

Arcane
I just now tried this out, and I noticed how beefy the ships all are.
Strange, you should be able to pop low-tier pirates rather quickly. For me it only started to feel bullet spongey in conflict zones, where every mofo is stacked with hull reinforcements.
What might help you - try targeting the power plant, it should let you blow up stuff a bit faster. Also, use dakka instead of pew pews to rip through the hull.
Might be so they have reflective armor.
Lazors alre mostly for bringing shields down, and you should check where the damage faloff starts, you won't be doing much damage unless you're in optimal range.
Not sure if you're at that stage of the game yet, but engineering lets you tweak the damage output and damage type a little bit.

I ASK INANE QUESTIONS

ITZ NEVER STOPS COOOMING
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Imagine a good designed campaign with tightly crafted combat missions, some exploration, upgrading an testing new ships; all soundly paced. They could have done it even with coop, and it would have been a massive hit.

Basically a modern Freespace 2 with more exploration and some upgrading.

:negative::negative::negative:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Neither wanted nor needed.
(And most likely designed in such an ass-backwards way that it turns into a huge mind numbing grind anyway.)

Perkel

Arcane
can't wait to see it in practice where you will be taking mission from no name X which is done exactly in the same way 1000 times.

spectre

Arcane
(And most likely designed in such an ass-backwards way that it turns into a huge mind numbing grind anyway.)
There will be engineering involved, so yeah. Most likely.
The problem with MMOs is that new content needs to be balanced to give enough playtime for veterans who already unlocked fucking everything and to new players,
with a possible skew towards the former - hence the obnoxious grind.

As to whether it was "wanted or needed", I think it's a logical expansion to the planetfall mechanic from the previous DLS, letting you walk around on your own two feet.
I see it a milestone and depending on where they take it, it could be interesting. From what I've read, ship interiors and spacewalks aren't planned for now, but would be nice if they're further down the pipeline.
Not sure about walking around space stations. Would be nice to have it, but it is at odds with having everything handy in the ship's computer. So they'd have to revamp all of it.
All in all, it's a way to get up to speed (and give the middle finger) with Star Citizen, which I am sure they're watching. I mean, that shit-chicken laid eggs of pure gold just by selling walkable spaceships.
I am sure Frontier would love to get their paws on some of that action.

It'll most likely bee a subpar fps, even though that vid is trying to make it seem cooler than it really is with some chatter (I only watched half of it).
The only interesting thing is how will it play with the rest of the game's systems - will it be possible for one guy to hover above the settlement and give fire support to the ground team?
Blasting tiny dudes with large cannons could be fun. Dropping off commandos and extracting from a hot zone is something Alliance Chieftain was made to do.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Good luck finding people to actually do that.
It also further concentrates gameplay around the bubble, there's already exactly 0 reason to ever leave civilized space as-is.

spectre

Arcane
Didn't they say only about 3% of in-game space was visited by players?
If you have a whole galaxy to fuck around with that was to be expected and they need to somehow funnel people so that you'll actually have a chance to meet other players.

Watched the vid tilll the end, yeah, that mission would be dull as fuck if you were to do it solo.
Not to mention, looks to be a really crappy fps - bot AI looks poor, they just stay in the open and pew pew at extremely short ranges (if they shoot at all, as if they can't see shit past 20m),
no repositioning, no use of cover, everything is bullet spongey and the guns themselves look so fucking boring.

Oh yeah, and it looks like the spaceship can't use any of its guns. Bollocks.

Perkel

Arcane
Good luck finding people to actually do that.
It also further concentrates gameplay around the bubble, there's already exactly 0 reason to ever leave civilized space as-is.

I think the point of video was to get those SC players to play Elite and drop those heavy dollars. But this video makes SC actually look better.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
What made anyone think FDev were capable of making a decent FPS mode in a game centered around space flight (and a bad simulation of space flight at that)?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom