Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Dodo1610

Arcane
Why would anyone want Gothic 4? Nothing about the lore or the world is particularly interesting or unique. Even the old PB never cared about it and just changed large parts of the lore with each game. It was how these games were designed! People don't remember Gothic 2 because of the fire mages and their nonexistent backstory: But everybody remembers them because they felt like a real religious group with a clear hierarchy and beliefs.
PB could have made Gothic 4 instead of Elex but they didn't because they know they wanted to make something new, when they could have just sold us reheated nostalgia like so many other studios.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think it's p. certain we will get Gothic 4 somewhere down the line. PB will obviously make another Elex, just to sell the engine and some of the assets one more time, since those things are super expensive to make nowadays. But eventually they'll get tired of SF just like they did with fantasy and they'll be itching to go back to their most popular franchise.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think it's p. certain we will get Gothic 4 somewhere down the line. PB will obviously make another Elex, just to sell the engine and some of the assets one more time, since those things are super expensive to make nowadays. But eventually they'll get tired of SF just like they did with fantasy and they'll be itching to go back to their most popular franchise.
Western fantasy gothic-like when.

Oh wait we have exoplanet: first contact but it seems to be in limbo

Codex Year of the Donut

I played through the EA for that game a couple years ago. It was surprisingly good. Hope they finish it in my lifetime.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron

I played through the EA for that game a couple years ago. It was surprisingly good. Hope they finish it in my lifetime.
i only know that because devs is pretty clear about gothic 2 NOTR influence. how is it? is the progression similar to PB? what about the map design?

Codex Year of the Donut

i only know that because devs is pretty clear about gothic 2 NOTR influence. how is it? is the progression similar to PB? what about the map design?
Don't remember that much about it except enjoying it enough to finish the EA despite being very jank.
It had a surprising amount of content btw.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
ovtmvwbo7h601.jpg
ELEX 2 leaked!

Codex Year of the Donut

Don't remember that much about it except enjoying it enough to finish the EA despite being very jank.
It had a surprising amount of content btw.
there's a codex thread for it btw
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ion-rpg-now-available-on-early-access.102089/

Nijar

Novice
Regarding the hurtful video:
You dullards seem to own the francise for like forever. Well.. shit happens. But why can't there be ONE FUCKING RELEASE without Pankratz PR that's so cringe?
Every fucking time the same annoying shit. Please stop! Go away, take a vacation. Just relax and do some cocaine in your free time for a change? Or hire someone else to do it.

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
Was just minding my own business, killing stuff left and right, doing some storyline quests, then all of a sudden Ray's brother is a dog. A fucking dog, who sat in the background making annoying sounds while the cutscene with Ray played out. Where, despite being in Origin with the dog, we stated the need to travel to Origin so I could magically undog his brother with a code I somehow learned.

Who came up with this shit? I mean, the story is not great, but I found it to be serviceable up to this point. This is just beyond ridiculous.

It doesn't even serve a purpose in the story. Ray doesn't need some elaborate excuse as to why he shot down my raider, getting paid would be motivation enough. We didn't knew each other before, so he doesn't owe me an excuse for his actions up to that point. I'm pissed at him for keeping this secret from me after we became friends, but somehow the game doesn't give me any options to confront him about it. I can undog his brother and that's that, we're buddies again.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Yeah so I played this after all. It's good. Although I haven't played a Gothic game in ages ; PB really make the same game over and over again, I get that Gothic feeling that I forgot about with time. This time they wanted to mix Gothic with Fallout, I guess? Maximum geek shit right there. Wouldn't have it any other way. I do like how the theme is about being more and more autistic ; emotions are hell indeed. I of course make all the cold choices. To the max. Who would I be if I did anything else. Indifference is our greatest passion after all

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Yeah so I played this after all. It's good. Although I haven't played a Gothic game in ages ; PB really make the same game over and over again, I get that Gothic feeling that I forgot about with time. This time they wanted to mix Gothic with Fallout, I guess? Maximum geek shit right there. Wouldn't have it any other way. I do like how the theme is about being more and more autistic ; emotions are hell indeed. I of course make all the cold choices. To the max. Who would I be if I did anything else. Indifference is our greatest passion after all
The legendary formula of the philosopher's stone of gaming has been sought after by many a dashing developer. Alas, the victory in the manner of buying, satisfied customers (no matter how niche a group) has eluded most. Here's to PB and their many deeds yet to come! :drink:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Well, the world building is up there. But sadly the combat isn't nearly as satisfying as in Gothic 2. Heck even combat in Gothic 3 was more fun.

Ravielsk

Magister
Has anyone tried any of Elexes mods? If so are there any you would personally consider a must haves?

Murk

Arcane
Has anyone tried any of Elexes mods? If so are there any you would personally consider a must haves?

They're mostly just stat/value tweaks, and a few that make certain gear available (like Alb armors).

None of it is huge tbh. If one of the weapon tweaks looks good to you, go for it I guess, but I don't know if any are better than the vanilla game.

I played through two weapon rebalances and it just changed whether or not I used laser rifles early on or later on, basically. The I played with most recently was this: https://www.nexusmods.com/elex/mods/57

Was fun playing with slug throwers but otherwise the overall experience wasn't drastically different. Ended up using laser rifles more than plasma though since you could *unload* more damage with it than just juggling.

Also, this, if you want to use helmets other than sunglasses: https://www.nexusmods.com/elex/mods/30

Unrelated but -- last playthrough as I reached end-game, I got console commands (sort of) and edited the jetpack to be like 5x as fast and have unlimited fuel and just blasted around everywhere to check out weird areas and was pretty fun.

edit: to be clear, I don't *recommend* any of the above, but they were non-awful choices for someone who is repaying the game for the nth time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom