Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shane Plays - LPs and Interviews

sstacks

Arcane
Here's the podcast version of my recent show with two of the team members working on Solasta:

Solasta: Crown of the Magister is a party-based, tactical turn-based CRPG built on the Fifth Edition game system and currently in development by France-based Tactical Adventures. Solasta also features verticality in dungeon crawling and has accompanying resources for tabletop RPG play. Tactical Adventures team members Emile and Xavier join to share the details. Plus: Implementations versus adaptations, party-based versus companions and the worst football chat ever :)

PODCAST LINK:
https://shaneplays.com/solasta-5e-crpg-podcast/

Also, here's the YouTube version (just audio)

sstacks

Arcane
EN World's podcast interviewed Matt and I about Dungeons & Desktops 2nd Edition.

Note that about half of this podcast is chatting about Tabletop RPGs.

https://morrus.podbean.com/e/69-dungeons-desktops-with-shane-stacks-and-matt-barton/

#69 Dungeons & Desktops with Shane Stacks and Matt Barton
This week, Morrus is joined by Shane Stacks and Matt Barton to talk about their book, Dungeons and Desktops: The History of Computer Role-Playing Games! In the news, The World of Farland has a new release, Ulisses North America purchases rights to Space: 1889, new Unearthed Arcana, Wendy’s releases a tabletop RPG, and more! Plus Our Favorite Game in All the World and a brand new sketch!

sstacks

Arcane
SKALD: Against the Black Priory is an upcoming dark fantasy turn-based RPG, featuring modern design combined with a classic 8-bit look and feel. It’s set in a dark and gritty fantasy universe, full of tragic heroes, violent deaths and eldritch horror from developer Scape-IT.

The game is in development with a release date of summer 2020. It will release for Windows and Mac first and then handheld devices down the line.

sstacks

Arcane
Podcast with Al of Scape-IT re: SKALD: Against the Black Priory CRPG.

Al's a one-man Norwegian dev team with a lot of programming experience and dual CRPG / tabletop RPG love he's bringing into SKALD. Some good discussion here as well regarding how he's using Unity but also sticking with genuine retro development methods.

Podcast:
https://shaneplays.com/skald-crpg-podcast/

YouTube (audio only, just a different way to listen :))

sstacks

Arcane
SKALD Retro CRPG - UPDATED Demo Gameplay

The final demo for retro CRPG Skald: Against the Black Priory (Alpha 2.0.3) with new features, a major overhaul of the user interface / user experience, and improved visuals. Finding the sewers the "right" way. Rats, bats, and spiders. Creepy disappearing monks. My kingdom for an innkeeper! Stealing booze from a dog.

SKALD: Against the Black Priory is an upcoming dark fantasy turn-based RPG, featuring modern design combined with a classic 8-bit look and feel. It’s set in a dark and gritty fantasy universe, full of tragic heroes, violent deaths and eldritch horror from developer Scape-IT.

Last edited:

sstacks

Arcane
First look gameplay of turn-based strategy RPG Graywalkers: Purgatory in Early Access. This video covers the quick missions mode as well as the "Preludes" mode (short campaigns based around a single character in the game). The Preludes section of the video also includes examples of the magic system, and starts around 40 minutes in.

sstacks

Arcane
Darklands discussion episode of Shane Plays.

Darklands! The cult classic open-world Middle Ages RPG from 1992 that lets you adventure in the Holy Roman Empire during the 15th century… or rather, 15th Century Europe as people believed it to be at the time! Darklands broke a lot of CRPG ground, still has fans, and influenced games like Baldur’s Gate and the Elder Scrolls. Fellow fans Matt Wirkkala and Keith Hiorns join.

Podcast version:
https://shaneplays.com/darklands-rpg-podcast/

YouTube version (same thing, audio only... just a different way to listen for those who prefer to that way)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinitron is there a way to tag that as Darklands content for the site or is that only something mods do?

I'm not sure what you mean by that. If you want people to see what your current episode is about, you could rename the thread (Thread Tools, top right).

sstacks

Arcane
Infinitron is there a way to tag that as Darklands content for the site or is that only something mods do?

I'm not sure what you mean by that. If you want people to see what your current episode is about, you could rename the thread (Thread Tools, top right).

I was searching for Darklands on the site and found a page of tagged content:
https://rpgcodex.net/tags.php?id=244

Was just curious if that could be done on any forum post, or only news items by moderators, etc. I'm guessing the latter :)

Best,
Shane

sstacks

Arcane
In celebration of everyone loving the GOTY 2020 results so much, here's another installment of Sword Coast Legends!

Sword Coast Legends Story Mode #51 - Let's Play

The Underdark unfolds (barely) as we continue flailing around the Forlorn Cliffs with a terrible sense of direction but make progress working out the main puzzle to continue. Illydia and Hommet level up. We put the beat down on Drow cultists and assassins and various evil beasties.

sstacks

Arcane
The first part of the demo of Geneforge 1 – Mutagen, a unique, truly open-ended fantasy adventure in a strange, new world. You are one of the Shapers, wizards with the awesome power to create life. Want a tool, a trap, an army? You summon it into existence. You create mighty beasts, and they totally obey you. Usually.

sstacks

Arcane
Shane takes a look at the demo of Space Wreck, an intentionally short hardcore roleplaying game. P.S. Cambots suck.

Game description from Pahris Entertainment SIA: A passenger shuttle is damaged after a pirate attack and you must find replacement parts on a nearby derelict space ship. -- An intentionally short hardcore role playing game that borrows as much as possible from the best isometric RPGs (Fallout, Fallout 2, Arcanum).

sstacks

Arcane
DDO Light Gravity Glitch - Dungeons & Dragons Online

A temporary Light Gravity glitch lets a player jump to places that are normally inaccessible in Sharn's Clifftop Tower District in DDO Dungeons & Dragons Online.

sstacks

Arcane
Felipe Pepe asked me to write a review of Sword Coast Legends for the CRPG Book Project. So I did.

2myaoBz.jpg

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, I got SCL on release, was really disappointed by the editor and shitty cooldown mechanics, so never played much... but I actually beated it this week to get screenshots, it's a pretty decent hack & slash in the vein of Champions of Norrath or Dark Alliance, but trying to be closer to Baldur's Gate than to Diablo.

Really, this only got so much hate because they kept selling it as Neverwinter Nights 3, lying to people and focusing all their marketing campaign on the game's worse elements.

sstacks

Arcane
Yeah, I got SCL on release, was really disappointed by the editor and shitty cooldown mechanics, so never played much... but I actually beated it this week to get screenshots, it's a pretty decent hack & slash in the vein of Champions of Norrath or Dark Alliance, but trying to be closer to Baldur's Gate than to Diablo.

Really, this only got so much hate because they kept selling it as Neverwinter Nights 3, lying to people and focusing all their marketing campaign on the game's worse elements.

Yeah that's why I kept saying it was fun for what it was.... they shot themselves in the foot with how they marketed the DM Mode, got expectations up that didn't deliver.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom