Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
qyp8xhy2q3j61.png

That Lady Osakabe boss is shit. Gimmicky bullshit with random lasers that come out of nowhere.
With the splitstaff it's p. funny in NG. You kill each eye with 3 Changing Ways, then take away half the health of the boss with Dragon Dance. It's over in less than a minute.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Running second difficulty and collecting skillpoints in orange equip. Feels gud. Only weapon is from second difficulty - picked first thing that dropped and decided to make it my main for now. It's dual swords.

I can tank not just 3 hits, but as many as i want, because i heal for 3k after picking each core.

Wunderbar

Arcane
New patch arrived, now the game has keyboard input icons. Gave the game another whirl, finished the first mission and killed Mezuki on the first try (idk if that's good or meh). Maybe i'm becoming dumber with age, but this game feels way too overwhelming and feature-bloated. The soul cores, burst-countering, POE-like radial skill trees, kodama bazaar and all the other new shit.

The first Nioh was pretty bloated as well, but the sequel just further adds more and more stuff and this doesn't look fun to me tbh. Well, it was just the first level, maybe i'll get used to it later.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
New patch arrived, now the game has keyboard input icons. Gave the game another whirl, finished the first mission and killed Mezuki on the first try (idk if that's good or meh). Maybe i'm becoming dumber with age, but this game feels way too overwhelming and feature-bloated. The soul cores, burst-countering, POE-like radial skill trees, kodama bazaar and all the other new shit.

The first Nioh was pretty bloated as well, but the sequel just further adds more and more stuff and this doesn't look fun to me tbh. Well, it was just the first level, maybe i'll get used to it later.

Just you wait until you've finished the first playthrough. I thought I had a pretty good handle on the games systems and now all of a sudden I've got some 'Stone of Penitence' to level up and I've just picked up some sort of scroll mission that's given me an extra equipment slot if I run it. Plus I read about infusing weapons with soul cores to look forward to later? On top of the expected extra layer of weapon rarity ofc.

Personally though, I think it gives you a reason to keep playing. I'm a long way from feeling like I've seen everything the game has to offer and that's after playing through it all.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Is it just me, or the new weapons are the epithomy of Nioh 2 feature bloat?

Tried the splitstaff and switchglaive, and after two missions I still don't feel them. Movesets seem too random and chaotic, each time i try to hit someone it looks like a flashy mess.

Respeccing to tonfas.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
If he did not like the splitstaff for being too chaotic and having a feel or random buttons mashing, the fists are even worse.
I myself wanted to like them, but I just can not for the aforementioned reasons.

Odachi is the real man's choice.
Odachi and heavy armor.
And just a touch of lightning onmyo. For the ultimate samurai-paladin-sama experience.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Eh, i dabbled with odachi on the first Nioh, wanted to try sequel-exclusive weapons. Dual hatchets then.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Splitstaff is great, but its moves are indeed a bit too flashy and some of them are poorly balanced. Changing Ways shreds everything to pieces and doesn't lock you into its animation for longer than the other skills. There are very few enemies against whom you want to use a different move when you have a window of opportunity. Basically Shin Crusher with Masterful Slice to deplete the enemy's ki followed by Changing Ways is what works best against everything. I still haven't tried fists, but I had much more fun with the splitstaff than the switchglaive and hatchets. My main problem with the hatchets is that anything that leads to a "ranged" approach is not fun to me in these games (bows and guns, kunai, onmyo projectiles).

Silverfish

Arbiter
Eh, i dabbled with odachi on the first Nioh, wanted to try sequel-exclusive weapons. Dual hatchets then.

Pro-tip: wait for an enemy to attack, dodge followed by high-stance heavy attack. For whatever reason, the hatchets' h-s heavy reaches insane distances after a dodge roll.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Had the same problem as Nioh 1 for me. Played about 70% of the way through and got sick of it. Too many missions, too repetitive. Maybe people love all the side quests but I think the game would be better if it was just the main missions. The side levels are either really dull or retreads of the main levels. If I want to level grind in Dark Souls I just do that, I don't need a bunch of side quests to justify it.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
But you can skip all the useless filler quests without loosing anything of importance. Due to how much quickly amrita gained scales with higher level missions, you won't even ever be underleveled.

Suicidal

Arcane
I agree about the sub missions. Sure you can skip them, but the problem is that occasionally there are submissions with fun bosses hidden behind completion of other sub missions. I also think the short ones where you have to fight a gauntlet of different monsters are pretty fun. I just wish they did away with the ones where you just have to retread one of the levels you've already beaten.

Hyperion

Arcane
Splitstaff is for babbys who need to spam 1 or 2 skills to win, namely Changing Ways into Dragon Dance for ki broken bosses.

Fists reward using your full complement of attacks through building Unbroken stacks for crazy damage and let you chain everything together, including low stance skills to high stance skills of you switch during an attack animation. In other words, fists are the way of kings.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Had the same problem as Nioh 1 for me. Played about 70% of the way through and got sick of it. Too many missions, too repetitive. Maybe people love all the side quests but I think the game would be better if it was just the main missions. The side levels are either really dull or retreads of the main levels. If I want to level grind in Dark Souls I just do that, I don't need a bunch of side quests to justify it.

I felt that way in Nioh 1 for a bit, but it was just I wasn't playing with the right weapon. If the combat isn't clicking somehow, I would suggest swapping weapons. In fact, I would suggest speccing into Magic and Switchglaive and start working towards the stance-dance skills. Onmyo (or Ninjutsu I assume) makes combat more interesting by itself and when you're stance dancing to build up your damage meter and end the combo with a Cyclone with the enemies Ki depleted it's soooo satisfying. I could never get tired of it.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Sloth talismans are a good start, but why not pack some poison shurikens and iga bombs as well? Then just kick back and laugh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom