Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best way to play Ultima Underworld?

Bloodeyes

Arcane
So I wanna give Ultima Underworld a try. There's the GOG version, but I'd rather not deal with CD Projekt again if I don't have to. I'm thinking with a game this popular and influential there's likely a fan made upload in a preconfigured DOB Box. If there is, it's likely to be superior to the GOG version. Does anything like this exist? Or should I just go ahead and buy the overpriced GOG edition. Or should I just learn to use DOSbox myself? It's kind of overdue I do this but I'm busy and I don't want to.

Gargaune

Magister
That above link says:

A number of keys have been added or changed. The most important:

` (Backquote): toggle mouse-look
Alt+`: invert mouse-look axes (cycles through 4 states)
wasd: movement, typical of modern shooters
Space: attack (using last attack type, or slash)
Shift: jump
q: look at object in 3D view
e: use object in 3D view
z: display map
r: flip to rune-bag panel
f: flip to character panel

So, yeah wasd is there now.

Gargaune

Magister
That above link says:

A number of keys have been added or changed. The most important:

` (Backquote): toggle mouse-look
Alt+`: invert mouse-look axes (cycles through 4 states)
wasd: movement, typical of modern shooters
Space: attack (using last attack type, or slash)
Shift: jump
q: look at object in 3D view
e: use object in 3D view
z: display map
r: flip to rune-bag panel
f: flip to character panel

So, yeah wasd is there now.
Crap, sorry, I saw the list of keys but I skimmed over the WASD line. Thanks!

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Last time I played it I used the mouse exclusively. It worked surprisingly well.

Oh, and definetely get MUNT to get the right sound FX.

Sinatar

Arbiter
Ultima Underworld was always WASD, well WASDX, but it was one of the earliest games to adopt that standard.

Whimper

Educated
You get both games for $6 on GOG. How is that overpriced?
It's not expensive but then again it is an almost 30 year old game and it's possible that you only want the Stygian abyss, so $6 does seem a bit steep for one of those games.

hayst

Educated
Trying to run Underworld but I'm getting an issue with sound. The introduction plays all the audio fine, but in-game there's nothing. Is this a known issue with a fix?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yes.
You need to emulate the Roland to get the right sound effects. I used Munt (needs two Roland ROMs in addition), but there may be easier solution these days, if there's a new DosBox version with in-built Roland support.

hayst

Educated
Yes.
You need to emulate the Roland to get the right sound effects. I used Munt (needs two Roland ROMs in addition), but there may be easier solution these days, if there's a new DosBox version with in-built Roland support.
Okay thanks. I saw your other post mentioning this but was unsure if it was related.

Dave the Druid

Educated
Or alternatively you could just use Ultima Underworld Portable. Designed for the GOG release. Works with both games. Has DOSBox Staging and is properly set up so it doesn't have mouse or sound issues. Has the MT-32 roms pre-installed and set up so you get sexy MT-32 music. Has a slight brightness mod so the in-game resolution's a bit less murky. Let's you toggle on/off the wasd+mouselook mod in the launcher. And it lets you play the entire first game in Portuguese if you so wish.

I'd try it out and see if it fixes whatever issue you've got on your end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom