Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The most particular way to play an RPG according to you

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I play my Skyrim SE like this
https://imgbb.com/P9t3y4K

A Nexus VIP paid login, a week of modding, a zillion of experimentations in-game to see if it works, and after that no mood to actually play the game. Can you relate?

CanadianCorndog

Learned
I borrowed Ultima 3 floppy disks from a kid in high school. Then I loaded up Fast Hack 'Em 4.1 and used the nibbler to make Lord British say "Fuck you Jerome!" assuming that the next time he played it he would see Lord British telling him fuck you. Of course, this did not happen but it was amusing at the time. My first attempt at modding.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I borrowed Ultima 3 floppy disks from a kid in high school. Then I loaded up Fast Hack 'Em 4.1 and used the nibbler to make Lord British say "Fuck you Jerome!" assuming that the next time he played it he would see Lord British telling him fuck you. Of course, this did not happen but it was amusing at the time. My first attempt at modding.
I am pretty much afraid. I think this was actually your first attempt at hacking. Considering the time and the tools...

The Jester

Cipher
6a00d8341c2c8b53ef010536c4c347970c-600wi

5df15303f025bf756a1ba6e71acd1077.jpg

steel legion

Novice
2 ways
1. play through half of it and then finding out your build suck and return to it a week or a month after
2. get bloody drunk and/or stonned and play with the random build and then restart because i fucked everything up

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A Nexus VIP paid login, a week of modding, a zillion of experimentations in-game to see if it works, and after that no mood to actually play the game. Can you relate?

Except paying for modding (what the fuck is this shit, modding is supposed to be FREE and I say that as someone with released mods under my belt) I can relate, yes.

Modding Oblivion several years ago was more fun than actually playing it.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Most particular? There really isn't any most particular way anymore. You go on Steam, download the game, play it with your brian disengaged because the game is so shitty, consult YouTube for walkthrough if you don't succeed with any challenge in it the very first time.

But here's the way it used to be:

- Go to software store
- See a new RPG in a glorious box you've never seen before
- Pick up the box, excited, and look at the back
- "Oh, I gotta get this one," pay for the game at the counter
- Drive home at dangerous speeds
- Boot up your trusty PC
- Insert Disk #1, the installation disk
- Pray to God you didn't get a bad copy
- Insert remaining disks as prompted
- While waiting, prepare desktop (your actual desktop) by moving extra clutter out of the way, sharpening a couple of fresh pencils, tear off the top sheet of your pad of graph paper ready to start mapping
- Get a nice hot cup of coffee
- Boot up the game and admire its opening screen and catchy music
- Open the game's manual
- Smell the manual
- Read the manual, probably while taking a bathroom break
- Click on Start Game (or Venture Forth or whatever phrase is used)
- Create characters

Gone are the olden days. If you never experienced any of this, despair, young man.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron

Except paying for modding (what the fuck is this shit, modding is supposed to be FREE and I say that as someone with released mods under my belt) I can relate, yes.

Modding Oblivion several years ago was more fun than actually playing it.
Ikr, Baldur's Gate TuTu and 50 added mods, Skyrim, Fallout: NV, those were the times... As for the paying. Well it still is for free. Free service goes with everything the paid has, only slower dn speed. Paid option means people are even happier to make mods and you get to download fast. I am happy to support, so that's it. Although my point is I even paid couple of bucks for the Nexus to download faster, and I'm still not in the mood for the fourth start in Skyrim :D

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Most particular? There really isn't any most particular way anymore. You go on Steam, download the game, play it with your brian disengaged because the game is so shitty, consult YouTube for walkthrough if you don't succeed with any challenge in it the very first time.

But here's the way it used to be:

- Go to software store
- See a new RPG in a glorious box you've never seen before
- Pick up the box, excited, and look at the back
- "Oh, I gotta get this one," pay for the game at the counter
- Drive home at dangerous speeds
- Boot up your trusty PC
- Insert Disk #1, the installation disk
- Pray to God you didn't get a bad copy
- Insert remaining disks as prompted
- While waiting, prepare desktop (your actual desktop) by moving extra clutter out of the way, sharpening a couple of fresh pencils, tear off the top sheet of your pad of graph paper ready to start mapping
- Get a nice hot cup of coffee
- Boot up the game and admire its opening screen and catchy music
- Open the game's manual
- Smell the manual
- Read the manual, probably while taking a bathroom break
- Click on Start Game (or Venture Forth or whatever phrase is used)
- Create characters

Gone are the olden days. If you never experienced any of this, despair, young man.
Ofc you meant "...and the game stopped at creating the characters..." am I right :D ? Because BG rerolls and choosing the appropriate class was a thing to have fun with for two to four hours If I remember correctly.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I used to be terrified of being mugged when buying a new game on my own.

When opening the box I would be extremely careful with the tape, if it ripped off some of the box art I'd be genuinely angry.

Realize two weeks later it was for nothing because dad either threw it away or stepped on it by accident and crushed it.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
The most peculiar way to play an RPG today would probably be to play it without giving a fuck how others do, or what they think.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Morrowind led me to conclude that if I had to hunt down and install more than 3 mods to make a game enjoyable, then the game was shit and not worth my time.

huskarls

Scholar
full immersed in my meaningful choices and complex morally grey plot until the polished starter zones goes away and I realize larian tricked me again into playing a baby mode gameplay social simulator

full immersed in my meaningful choices and complex morally grey plot until the polished starter zones goes away and I realize larian tricked me again into playing a baby mode gameplay social simulator
Meaningful choices? Morally grey? Since when Larian started to have these things in their games?

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Quite a long time ago already, I installed my old Oblivion copy for my son on his PC because it's a game where kids can run around and admire things. He played it for like 2 hours and quit.
The other day I saw him with the game's title screen on and asked if he's going to play Oblivion now. "No", he replied, "I just started it so I can hear the music".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom