Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Combatfag Compendium

curds

Magister
"This is not a compendium" This is actually just a recommendation thread I just thought the title sounded kinda nice :oops:
A true Codexian would have spelled it with each word starting with K.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Would you guys consider the original Exile trilogy by Spiderweb Software? I felt that they were challenging, but fair with each game having a 6-man party comprised of people with different equipment and abilities. They played like a poor man's version of the Gold Box games.

Rarre

Educated
Look up Examina
Exanima is a very interesting experiment but It's not finished yet, wait 2 years and play it.
Or try it now and experience an unfinished awesome masterpiece... but unifinished...

tenor.gif

Really, the potential of this game is....:incline: but the combat system is radically different, I cannot compare it properly with any other game... less stats and more player control but completely different from dark souls...

I like Underrail a lot but you play always alone... maybe in Infusion this changes...

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
I just recently played Lords of Xulima and I’d definitely throw it’s hat in there. The combat system is the highlight of the game

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Look up Examina
Exanima is a very interesting experiment but It's not finished yet, wait 2 years and play it.
Or try it now and experience an unfinished awesome masterpiece... but unifinished...

tenor.gif

Really, the potential of this game is....:incline: but the combat system is radically different, I cannot compare it properly with any other game... less stats and more player control but completely different from dark souls...

I like Underrail a lot but you play always alone... maybe in Infusion this changes...
Yep, can you believe that it's been almost 9 years since their kickstarter. The progress has been really dissapointing but they have a really unique combat system and it's worth trying out.

hellbent

Augur
Looks like all the best ones were already covered by previous posts. I'll add that these games below all have TB combat and some RPG elements, plus the gameworlds are in different settings than most typical fantasy games.

Vigilantes
Dead State
Expeditions: Viking
ATOM

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Troubleshooter and The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk have a heavy emphasis on tactical turn-based combat that's XCOM-ish, but with different innovations in each game.

Troubleshooter
has a deep and innovative build/progression system and a dynamic action queue; TDoN mixes in a bit of D&D, with a stat that's like D&D's initiative and attacks of opportunity. In both games, both your build and your in-combat positioning are of course hugely important, but with Troubleshooter your build is slightly more important than your positioning (a good build can cope with a bit of sloppy positioning here and there), whereas with TDoN it's the other way round (if you don't have good positioning even a good build will be punished). Troubleshooter is a bit more simulationist, TDoN a bit more board-gamey.

They were second/third place in the Codex's 2020 GOTY and both are good games even in the general sense, though they each have features that might annoy some - Troubleshooter has a Korean anime (forget the real name of that genre) art style in its story presentation (though not in the actual combat, that just looks "realistic" like the XCOM games) and TDoN has Western-style cartooney graphics with self-referential humour. But both are well done for what they are.

Troubleshooter is also a long game and TDoN relatively short. Troubleshooter's story is more kind of epic and "serious," whereas TDoN's is more of a light-hearted spoof of traditional tabletop and CRPG tropes.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Would you guys consider the original Exile trilogy by Spiderweb Software? I felt that they were challenging, but fair with each game having a 6-man party comprised of people with different equipment and abilities. They played like a poor man's version of the Gold Box games.

Yes, but what are the actual party-based tactics like?

Miner 2049er

Scholar
grimer, you're a RPG rookie. You should play a D&D game next. Play Temple of Elemental Evil. Best fantasy combat and an isometric beauty. Then play Jagged Alliance 2. Best combat with guns. That's it. Bravo. You're done.
Save the time and skip the mediocre rest. A chance many of the unfortunate residents of this fine community here never had. They were led to believe those games were just the beginning and gaming a hobby worth having.
Before they knew, they found themselves on a quest for the next cerebral stimulating RPG experience. Soon they should become addicted zombies. How else could you explain the sucks-ass of Detesta.
Be smart. Learn from your predecessors mistakes and don't let all those ahaspheric victims be in vain.

If you already show symptoms of withdrawal, you have to take special measures immediately. Play Skyrim, then Pool of Radiance (the "new" one), then Torment Tides of Numenera and Pillars of Eternity. In this order and you might luck out and get away halfway unharmed. Speaking of harm: If you should refuse listening to my advice and become a forsaken junkie, continue with Arcanum. It has a great character building system and a fascinating world to discover.

waken

Educated
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen has really excellent combat (real time, party based although you only control one character directly).

Darth Canoli

Arcane
After Wizardry 8, just take a break, nothing even come close to this masterpiece so everything will feel mediocre at best.

Read a couple of books then force yourself to play a couple of shit games like Deadwater or Numanuma so you'll be able to enjoy good games again because everything will feel amazing afterwards.

grimer

Learned
Before they knew, they found themselves on a quest for the next cerebral stimulating RPG experience. Soon they should become addicted zombies. How else could you explain the sucks-ass of Detesta.
bethestards have never played a "cerebral stimulating rpg experience". theyre not former rpg connoisseurs lobotomized into rpg junkies because of decades of mediocrity. they never liked rpgs in the first place. they just want to unwind after a hard day at work/school and mindlessly walk around looking for another copy-pasted dungeon to clear while mashing lmb at enemies they encounter along the way.
Speaking of harm: ...continue with Arcanum.
acknowledge this user's agenda
After Wizardry 8, just take a break, nothing even come close to this masterpiece so everything will feel mediocre at best.
i like wizardry 7 so far. although i find new city kinda boring because i started near nyctalinth when i imported and every encounter is trivial in comparison. also they give a measly amount of exp so character progression stops to a halt.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Yeah, what a masterpiece:

Love that isometric perspective, really facilitates squad-based tactics, precision in positioning, and angular attacks.

Unlike Jagged Alliance 2 (the greatest tactics RPG ever), Wizardry 8 has aged so horribly that it's unplayable.

Also, Wizardry 8 has furries. Based on that alone, it gets written off.

Let me show you what a tactical viewport looks like, scrub:

And here's what a party looks like:

Here's what weapons look like:

Last edited:

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
There’s something childish about disregarding a game based on the perspective.

Wizardry and Japanese Wizardry-likes (Elminage, Etrian Odyssey, etc.) have great combat.

grimer

Learned
Unlike Jagged Alliance 2 (the greatest tactics RPG ever), Wizardry 8 has aged so horribly that it's unplayable.
Also, Wizardry 8 has furries. Based on that alone, it gets written off.
i will not abide by this blasphemy in my thread

barghwata

Savant
Hello Codex! I'm currently playing........

If you play RPGs for combat then here's what you should play:

Jagged alliance 2
High calibre 7.62
Silent storm
Temple of Elemental Evil
Knights of the chalice

These are really the only ones worth playing for their combat alone, other then that there's Underrail but its combat system is quite simplistic and it mostly revolves around theorycrafting and character building then tactics but it might serve as a good entry way to some of the other games i mentioned previously, and there's also Dragon's dogma if you don't have an issue with popamoles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom