Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Loop Hero

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I went ahead and bought the game a short while ago, and played for about an hour.

My "demo" save automatically transferred over to the full gayme. I didn't have to do anything special.

Played the rogue class for a bit, farmed a few loops then got spanked. That's my current status.

Played one run of the demo and then a few runs on a buddy's copy from Steam sharing. It's cool but not really my jam, wasn't getting enough sense of decision-making going on as I was playing. Probably more later on with different enemies and/or different classes, but didn't feel active enough to be engaging and didn't feel like it warranted enough thought to really be satisfying as a second monitor type game. Monster Train as a fairly recent example feels a bit better to me since even though it's also relatively hands-off, you get some good decisions on card picks/upgrades/etc.

Jinn

Arcane
Played one run of the demo and then a few runs on a buddy's copy from Steam sharing. It's cool but not really my jam, wasn't getting enough sense of decision-making going on as I was playing. Probably more later on with different enemies and/or different classes, but didn't feel active enough to be engaging and didn't feel like it warranted enough thought to really be satisfying as a second monitor type game. Monster Train as a fairly recent example feels a bit better to me since even though it's also relatively hands-off, you get some good decisions on card picks/upgrades/etc.

There is absolutely no way you'll beat a boss or progress in a meaningful way in this game if you aren't actively playing it, working towards a certain placement strategy, and sticking to a particular equipment build for your given class basically the whole time you're playing it.

It's very easy to put an hour into the game and say it lacks complexity or player agency, but if you actually try to make progress in the game, you'll find it's nothing like that.

Cnaiur

Augur
Just had my first run where I could actually leave things untouched and let the game play (loop) itself for a few rounds. With a warrior high (~50%) vampirism combined with a high dmg weapon is very strong. Good way to farm as well, after you beat the 'boss'.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Unlocked Rogue and Necromancer, beat second boss.

I don't really get the rogue, seems to have almost only bad traits, and very squishy. There's probably a strategy to it, but it doesn't feel good to me. Necromancer otoh seems very strong. It's a bit slow, but you get so much effective regen and hp buffers. The only trick seems to be to make sure you always have at least 50% minion quality and at least 3 max skeletons.

Haven't really found any cool tile interactions with the more advanced cards. Not sure if I'm failing or if they mostly frontloaded all the interactions.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

There is absolutely no way you'll beat a boss or progress in a meaningful way in this game if you aren't actively playing it, working towards a certain placement strategy, and sticking to a particular equipment build for your given class basically the whole time you're playing it.

It's very easy to put an hour into the game and say it lacks complexity or player agency, but if you actually try to make progress in the game, you'll find it's nothing like that.
I agree with the first part,don't agree with the second. I see no complexity in the build order and the item selections. It is a very basic thing that is heavily dependant on the drop luck. As i said,it is all about your luck,if you are lucky and get good drops you dominate the run,if not you are fucked. It is a mobile game made to lose time while waiting for something. It is not even rpg.

Acrux

Arcane
For those who want to speed things up, there's a config file called variables in the game folder. Change the "speed" line from 60 to 120 to double the speed of everything.

I think this literally means everything, by the way, even screen transitions and so on.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
I don't really get the rogue, seems to have almost only bad traits, and very squishy.

First, avoid combat against many enemies at once. Road Lanterns help, spread out monster-generating tiles, don't combine villages with vampire manors (normal villages+fields are important to offset lack of regeneration and real vampirism, but ghoul villages will wear you down). Meanwhile, agressively build up Evasion. Once it's around 50%, you'll start becoming pretty viable.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Fuck the necro is very tedious,also spiders fuck you fast. Summoning is just too slow. The biggest problem of the game is that you are unable to chose a target,a few in combat ability that you could use will be nice too.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
interactions with the more advanced cards.
Vampire next to a village.

Wheat fields next to a Village?
Vampire next to Bookery

Both of the two will get you killed, if not prepared. But otherwise there seems to be very little. Kinda sad.

Also

River next to a battlefield and river next to road

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
interactions with the more advanced cards.
Vampire next to a village.

Wheat fields next to a Village?
Vampire next to Bookery

Both of the two will get you killed, if not prepared. But otherwise there seems to be very little. Kinda sad.

Also

River next to a battlefield and river next to road
No vampire directly next to a village,it will spawn zombies and it will evolve after a few loops. It is pretty good way to farm life orbs or what ever its name it was.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Considering this is 15 euros, I think it's a pretty fun game. And since we already got Multi-headed Cow saying it requires no interaction and Jinn saying it's the biggest of big brain games, I'll chime in with the middle-ground here: it's quintessentially a second-monitor game. It fills exactly the same role for me as playing a digital TCG casually - game on one screen, YouTube, a good show or a documentary on the other. You'll have no problem playing this game while something else goes on on Monitor 2.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Urgh... the 3rd boss is really shitty as well. I don't understand what is the point in bosses like this, since you can't control the fight at all.

loop_hero_hunterboss.png

You also pretty much have to either have that one card that fills up the map or get lucky with the trait that lets you keep your card after using it. I figured a way to turtle my way there, but since you have to fill up half-of the map this time to get the meter filled... Yeah.

Jinn

Arcane
Cow saying it requires no interaction and Jinn saying it's the biggest of big brain games, I'll chime in with the middle-ground here:

Eh, I wouldn't say that's what I meant. I basically agree with your middle ground. I just think it was off mark to boil the game down to an overly passive, mindless experience. It requires input, attention, and some thought was all I was getting at. And yeah, I think it's got a little more complexity than initially meets the eye.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
You also pretty much have to either have that one card that fills up the map or get lucky with the trait that lets you keep your card after using it. I figured a way to turtle my way there, but since you have to fill up half-of the map this time to get the meter filled... Yeah.
I almost beat him first try with rogue, but I had placed my villages poorly, so I wound up going into the boss with 20% health. Still took down both the boss and one of his minions.

I really gotta stop playing without oblivion in the deck. Nuking the autospawned camps that come from placing too much landscape is really strong.
It requires input, attention, and some thought was all I was getting at. And yeah, I think it's got a little more complexity than initially meets the eye.
It's mostly about correct tile placement, making sure you hold cards when necessary and placing them with good spacing.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
had eureka moment. To farm metamorphosis orbs get mountain and oblivion tiles. Keep destroying and forming 9th tile for massive metamorphosis gain

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom