Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of oldschool RPGs rejected by GoG

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Oh shiet, I didn’t know there was another Silent Storm game. Gonna go check that out now

It's quite different game though.
Same engine and maybe destruction feature but that's it. You're spy send behind enemy lines, you can maybe hire p. small team but nothing compared to Silent Storm.
Really obscure gameplay, no handholding, high difficulty, combat is lethal and some stuff is really easy to miss.

Same engine and maybe destruction feature but that's it. You're spy send behind enemy lines, you can maybe hire p. small team but nothing compared to Silent Storm.
Really obscure gameplay, no handholding, high difficulty, combat is lethal and some stuff is really easy to miss.

I see. I will still check it out because I remember reading a lot of complaints about Silent Storm back then, too, but I will temper my expectations

I see. I will still check it out because I remember reading a lot of complaints about Silent Storm back then, too, but I will temper my expectations

It has a high difficulty, and it is very easy to get the bad 'start world war 3' ending, which most reviewers got 15 minutes into the game. Damage is much more realistic than normal SS, with headshots usually always being fatal or totally incapacitating. I enjoyed it quite a bit once I discovered how to get past certain areas.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
That Dr. Cat fellow never provided any reasoning beyond polite boilerplate. After asking for clarification and citing some promising Steam numbers, I got less polite boilerplate and something about being sure to submit my next game if I felt it would be a good fit for GoG.

At this point, I don't think I will. I once dated a Polish girl who kept giving me blue balls and I'm getting a sense of déjà vu.

Harthwain

Magister
Interestingly enough when talking about EGS exclusives one of the arguments is "Some games can't be found outside of Steam", suggesting that Steam is making exclusive deals, while the truth seems to be more like depicted here: a store curators simply refusing to sell a game that isn't prospective enough in their opinion.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
That Dr. Cat fellow never provided any reasoning beyond polite boilerplate. After asking for clarification and citing some promising Steam numbers, I got less polite boilerplate and something about being sure to submit my next game if I felt it would be a good fit for GoG.

At this point, I don't think I will. I once dated a Polish girl who kept giving me blue balls and I'm getting a sense of déjà vu.
Fuck,getting rejected by a polish woman.....your T levels must be in the negative lol.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Maybe the rejected devs. should gather and make an open letter calling out GOG's bullshit and post it on twitter or something. That social cesspool makes companies begs each day for for their lives , and GoG is twitter's bitch for some time now, anyway.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Call GOG racist and homophobic and post it on Twitter. Include a screenshot of two dudes of a different race in your game.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
If someone had gone back and told me 10 years ago that in the future it would be easier to get niche indie RPGs onto Steam than other platforms, I'd have thought them insane.

People always used to bitch about Steam's strict curation and how open and friendly GOG was. Funny how things change.

That said GOG has changed a lot from their original mission statement of offering easy to play version of old games.

We Codexers hated Steam for including DRM and so showered GOG with tons of love and money. Yet it's like GOG takes advantage of our support while giving us so little in return. Outside of Wizards and Warriors, I can't remember an old classic RPG that GOG has made an effort to put in it's library in the past few years. It's like they know we'll keep supporting them no matter what, so why make any effort on our behalf? Now I know how hardcore leftists in the US must feel everytime they vote for a Democrat.

Ok, in all seriousness a lot of these rejections do not make any sense. In the last year, GOG has accepted crap like Fate and good, but graphically challenged Nox Archaist. And yet they aren't willing to accept Das Geisterschiff, Warlock of Firetop Mountain, Swords and Sorcery: Underworld, Voidspire Tactics, or Lurking? Thankfully they have now accepted Grimoire, Wizardry: Labyrinth of Souls, and Legends of Amberland so the original post needs to get updated. But it is odd that they'll accept something like Nox Archaist but not Lurking, as both are games influenced heavily by early Ultima.

It seems like someone is a Wizardry fan on the GOG site. GOG brought in Wizards and Warriors, then accepted Wizardry: Labyrinth of Souls and Grimoire. Legends of Amberland looks like a Might and Magic type of game, which is related to Wizardy. And yet Swords and Sorcery: Underworld still didn't make the cut. Voidspire Tactics doesn't seem as bad graphically as some of the one that were and it has a popular following, so again I don't understand why it wasn't accepted either. Heck, if we are going by graphics and small niche markets, GOG has accepted VA-11 Hall-A... yeah, this is a mystery. Maybe the trick is to keep trying.

Rafidur

Learned
Siralim: 'We were rejected by GOG for being "too niche".'

And yet these people put fucking queen's wish on there! Absolute garbage taste.

nlfortier

Esturia Games
Developer
My game (Battle for Esturia) was rejected by GoG, but I'm not complaining, as it's admittedly low budget and I think they are wary of low budget indie titles from an unknown developer.

DaveO

Erudite
GoG ceased to be Good Old Games quite some time ago. And now you folks are shocked at what is happening? The handwriting has been on the wall for years for crying out loud.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Siralim: 'We were rejected by GOG for being "too niche".'

And yet these people put fucking queen's wish on there! Absolute garbage taste.

Though QW is Vogel name, there's some brand recognition (and thus guaranteed sales) there. But yeah, GOG should do more for old-school RPGs

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Though QW is Vogel name, there's some brand recognition (and thus guaranteed sales) there. But yeah, GOG should do more for old-school RPGs

Siralim has nothing to do with old school RPGs.
It's a bad pokemon-like with a boring/exhausting storyline, some of the worst exploration ever (mandatory trash gathering through randomly generated levels), JRPG character dev and an insane amount of grind.
Sure, combat is better than pokemon, by far and there is a lot of great party combinations to discover (plus macros for auto combat) but I wouldn't say GOG was wrong on this one...

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer
Ok, in all seriousness a lot of these rejections do not make any sense. In the last year, GOG has accepted crap like Fate and good, but graphically challenged Nox Archaist. And yet they aren't willing to accept Das Geisterschiff, Warlock of Firetop Mountain, Swords and Sorcery: Underworld, Voidspire Tactics, or Lurking? Thankfully they have now accepted Grimoire, Wizardry: Labyrinth of Souls, and Legends of Amberland so the original post needs to get updated. But it is odd that they'll accept something like Nox Archaist but not Lurking, as both are games influenced heavily by early Ultima.

I submitted my own game, Realms of Antiquity, to GOG in January. To be fair, they haven't explicitly rejected it, but they don't reply on the submission on all, except to mark it solved. I gave up posting comments. I figured the reason a game like Nox got accepted and RoA didn't, even though we came out in the same month, was a lack of a Kickstarter or a huge promotional campaign.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom