Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries by Piranha Games - now on Steam and GOG

wait, didn't they say that the random spawning everywhere was hardcoded and those poor coders could do nothing about it?

Perkel

Arcane
That seems like a decent mod but it doesn't really fix any of the real problems with the game. Also playing with a joystick is basically giving yourself a handicap. This game was definitely made for keyboard and mouse and will give you faster and more precise aiming with a mouse.

I thought it would be the case but after 3 days i am super precise with stick and it feels great. So far I like game with the reloaded mod. At start it was a bit rought but once i edited input files to remove that uber shitty deadzones from stick it now feels super precise.

Now i have like 10 mechas, 5 fixed and with other 5 missing engines and stuff waiting for some credits to fix them. I love especially fiddling around with setup of mechs. I wish though engines would be a little bit faster for tonnage they offer. You can go all out offence and armor but then your mech will be super slow like 20km/s where you have on some missions targets that are 2km away and sometimes multiple of those. So you spend most of the mission just walking. Hope there will be better engines later.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
"pilot episode"

It's nice, and quite promising, but that's a teaser.

That seems like a decent mod but it doesn't really fix any of the real problems with the game. Also playing with a joystick is basically giving yourself a handicap. This game was definitely made for keyboard and mouse and will give you faster and more precise aiming with a mouse.

I thought it would be the case but after 3 days i am super precise with stick and it feels great. So far I like game with the reloaded mod. At start it was a bit rought but once i edited input files to remove that uber shitty deadzones from stick it now feels super precise.

Now i have like 10 mechas, 5 fixed and with other 5 missing engines and stuff waiting for some credits to fix them. I love especially fiddling around with setup of mechs. I wish though engines would be a little bit faster for tonnage they offer. You can go all out offence and armor but then your mech will be super slow like 20km/s where you have on some missions targets that are 2km away and sometimes multiple of those. So you spend most of the mission just walking. Hope there will be better engines later.

If you ever get access to LFEs, throw an LFE 300 into your Annihilator and pack it as full of Ultra AC5s and ammo as you can. Maybe a couple Medium Lasers just in case.

Cael

Arcane
I always hated the Anni. Too damned slow. It is basically an Urbie on steroids but lack the charisma and the jump jets.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
I always hated the Anni. Too damned slow. It is basically an Urbie on steroids but lack the charisma and the jump jets.
Annie is one of the better options for Warzone and Defense. Raid, Demo and Assassination are not fun in an Annie. For Raids you can usually get by pretty well with a lighter, faster mech and no lancemates - my favorite in Vanilla MW5 was the Cicada-X5 for Raids. Favorite for Demo usually ended up being the Blackjack-Arrow, though the Spider-Anansi is also a good choice. Assassination, I usually went for the Nightstar. If you just need to utterly hatefuck whatever's in your crosshairs, though, it's pretty hard to beat an Annihilator with a bunch of LB-10Xs firing slugs or Ultra AC5s. Most things just evaporate under a sustained hail of AC fire.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Piranha Games will be acquired: https://www.enadglobal7.com/press/121645C48E654694/

They say MW5 has sold "hundreds of thousands of copies" on EGS and it will also be released on GOG as well as Steam.

EG7 Enters Into an Agreement to Acquire Piranha Games Inc.

PRESS RELEASE

Stockholm, 25 November 2020

INSIDE INFORMATION: Enad Global 7 AB (publ) (“EG7” or the “Company”) has today entered into an agreement with the shareholders of Canadian game developer Piranha Games Inc. (“Piranha Games”) to acquire 100 percent of Piranha Games (the “Transaction”) for an aggregate purchase price of approximately CAD 31.4 million, equivalent of SEK 207 million, on a cash- and debt- free basis (the "Purchase Price"). The Purchase Price paid in cash and in newly issued EG7 shares. Piranha Games is one of Canada’s oldest independent game developers and is most famous for the latest entries into the MechWarrior franchise. Through the acquisition, EG7 gains a reputable team of 65 people in the studio in Vancouver, Canada. For the 12-month period ending on 30 September 2020, Piranha Games generated net sales of approximately CAD 22.7 million, equivalent of SEK 150 million, and EBITDA of approximately CAD 8.6 million, equivalent of SEK 56 million. The EBITDA-multiple on the Purchase Price therefore amounts to 3.7x EBITDA.

THE TRANSACTION IN BRIEF
  • The Transaction is in line with EG7’s previously communicated strategy to perform complementary acquisitions to establish a stronger industry position.
  • The Transaction is expected to result in a strengthen business model with increased revenues and profit.
  • The consideration for 100 percent of the shares in Piranha Games on a cash- and debt- free basis amounts to approximately CAD 31.4 million, equivalent to SEK 206.8 million[1], paid at closing (the “Upfront Consideration”)
  • CAD 10.5 million, equivalent of SEK 68.9 million, of the Upfront Consideration has been agreed to be paid with 808,091 EG7 shares (the “Consideration Shares”), based on the Volume Weighted Average Price for the EG7 share (“VWAP”) on Nasdaq First North Growth Market for the 20 consecutive trading days preceding this announcement (excluding today’s trading) equal to SEK 85.32 per EG7 share. At closing of the Transaction, approximately CAD 5.2 million, equivalent of SEK 34.4 million will be paid with Consideration Shares.
  • 50 percent of the Consideration Shares, equal to approximately CAD 5.2 million, equivalent of SEK 34.4 million, shall be held back (the “Holdback Shares”) and will be earned by the sellers over a period of twelve months, subject to certain conditions (the “Holdback Period”). Following the Holdback Period, the Holdback Shares shall, subject to adjustments of the number of the Holdback Shares earned by the sellers, be issued based on the VWAP on Nasdaq First North Growth Market for the 20 consecutive trading days preceding this announcement (excluding today’s trading) equal to SEK 85.32 per EG7 share.
  • The Consideration Shares, excluding the Holdback Shares, will be subject to a 12-month lock-up from the date of completion of the Transaction.
  • CAD 20.9 million, equivalent of SEK 137.9 million, of the Upfront Consideration will be paid in cash.
  • An additional consideration of up to CAD 63.4 million is payable subject to Piranha Games generating a certain financial performance based on its EBIT during the years 1 December 2020-31 December 2025 (the “Earn-Out Consideration”), whereof up to 50 percent will be paid in newly issued shares in EG7 (the “Earn-Out Consideration Shares”) and the balance in cash. The price for the Earn-Out Consideration Shares will correspond to the VWAP on Nasdaq First North Growth Market for the 20 consecutive trading days preceding the payment.
  • Completion of the Transaction is subject to customary conditions including foreign investment approval and closing is expected to take place during the first calendar quarter 2021.
BACKGROUND AND RATIONALE

Piranha Games is one of Canada's oldest independent game developers. The company has solid experience of developing AAA titles. Titles that Piranha Games has worked on include Medal of Honor, Transformers and Need for Speed.

For the past ten years, Piranha Games has focused on developing games within the MechWarrior franchise. The first title the company launched was MechWarrior Online which has generated over CAD 75 million in revenue with its tens of thousands of daily players and F2P (free-to-play) business model.

The latest title to be launched was MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries which was awarded 81/100 points by IGN and 85/100 by GamingTrend, two game reviewing websites. The title was launched in 2019 and has sold hundreds of thousands of copies on the Epic Games Store alone. In 2021, the title will be launched on other platforms such as Steam and GOG.

Within the EG7 Group, Piranha Games will operate as an independent studio and be reported as a separate entity. Piranha Games will significantly strengthen EG7's development capacity in Canada. Future joint projects will combine Piranha Games' knowledge in high-quality PC and console games with EG7's knowledge in publishing and marketing.

PURCHASE PRICE, EARN-OUT CONSIDERATION AND LOCK-UP PERIOD

The upfront purchase price of CAD 31.4 million, equivalent to SEK 206.8 million, is paid with CAD 20.9 million cash, equivalent to approximately SEK 137.9 million, and CAD 10.5 million (less the Holdback Shares), equivalent to approximately SEK 68.9 million, is paid with 808,091 newly issued EG7 shares. The Consideration Shares are issued at a price of SEK 85.32 per share, equal to the VWAP on Nasdaq First North Growth Market for the 20 consecutive trading days preceding this announcement (excluding today’s trading). 50 percent of the Consideration Shares shall be held back (the “Holdback Shares”) and will be earned by the sellers over a period of twelve months, subject to the fulfilment of certain trigger events (the “Holdback Period”). Following the Holdback Period, the Holdback Shares shall, subject to potential adjustments of the number of the Holdback Shares earned by the sellers, be issued based on the VWAP on Nasdaq First North Growth Market for the 20 consecutive trading days preceding this announcement (excluding today’s trading) equal to SEK 85.32 per EG7 share.

The Earn-Out Consideration, which is subject to Piranha Games generating a certain financial performance during the years 1 December 2020-31 December 2025 and amounts to a maximum of CAD 63.4 million, will be paid with up to 50 percent in newly issued EG7 shares and the balance in cash. The price for the Earn-Out Consideration Shares will correspond to the VWAP on Nasdaq First North Growth Market for the 20 consecutive trading days preceding the payment.

The Consideration Shares, excluding the Holdback Shares, will be subject to a 12-months lock-up period from the date of completion of the Transaction. The Earn-Out Shares will be subject to a 12-months lock-up period from the date of issuance.

ISSUE OF CONSIDERATION SHARES AND EARN-OUT CONSIDERATION SHARES

The board of directors of EG7 will resolve to issue the Consideration Shares, excluding the Holdback Shares, at completion of the Transaction pursuant to an authorization granted by the general meeting or subject to the general meetings approval. The Earn-Out Consideration Shares will be issued after confirmation of Piranha Games having reached the relevant financial performance.

The Consideration Shares represent 1.8 percent of the total number of shares and votes in EG7 on a fully diluted basis. By issuing the Consideration Shares, the number of shares and votes increase by 808,091. The share capital increases by approximately SEK 32,324.

The Consideration Shares are issued at a price of SEK 85.32 per share which equals the 20 day VWAP of EG7 shares on Nasdaq First North Growth Market up to and including 24 November 2020.

The Earn-Out Consideration Shares will at full allotment represent a maximum of 5.1 percent of the total number of shares and votes in EG7 on a fully diluted basis and the number of shares and votes may increase by a maximum of 2,449,498, based on a preliminary subscription price of SEK 85.32 per share. The share capital may increase with a maximum of approximately SEK 97,980.

The Earn-Out Consideration Shares are issued at a price equal to VWAP on Nasdaq First North Growth Market for the 20 consecutive trading days preceding the issuance.

The Consideration Shares, and if all Earn-Out Consideration Shares are issued at a price of SEK 85.32 per share, will in total represent a maximum of 6.8 percent of the total number of shares and votes in EG7 on a fully diluted basis and the number of shares and votes may increase by a maximum of 3,257,589. The share capital may increase with a maximum of approximately SEK 130,304.

The number of shares and increase of share capital may be higher or lower depending on the share price development of the Company's shares.

CLOSING OF THE TRANSACTION

Completion of the Transaction is subject to customary conditions including foreign investment approval and closing is expected to take place during the first calendar quarter 2021.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Steam/GOG release was delayed because of Cyberpunk: https://mw5mercs.com/news/2020/11/48-special-announcement

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

Greetings Mercenaries,

As many of you know, the delay in the release of Cyberpunk 2077 until December 10th had us reconsidering our release date for the Heroes of the Inner Sphere DLC, as well as the launch of MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries on Steam and GoG. Any developer wants their titles to get as much attention as possible, and obviously sharing a release date with Cyberpunk was less than optimal. Day one sales and marketing are so important to a successful product launch, and we believe that rescheduling our release date will allow MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries to have the opportunity and attention it deserves.

While exploring our options, we saw the potential to fulfill a longstanding dream of Piranha Games. To simultaneously ship across multiple platforms, including delivering a modern MechWarrior title to console gamers worldwide. So after much consideration and debate, we have decided that moving the release date of MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries DLC Heroes of the Inner Sphere to Spring 2021 is the right choice. This will allow us to fulfill that dream and more. We are excited and proud to announce that now, in addition to playing MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries on PC, it will also be available on the XBox Series X|S and XBox One. This will be the first MechWarrior title on a console since 2004's MechAssault 2, and in our opinion, the first true MechWarrior experience ever on a console.

Along with the XBox release, this delay will allow us some additional opportunities that will benefit the game, as well as the MechWarrior community at large. First and foremost, the combined release on Steam, GoG, EGS, Microsoft Store, and XBox consoles will give us more exposure and a broader reach than we've ever had before. We will capitalize on this increased exposure with our largest marketing initiative to date, bringing as many new eyes to the MechWarrior franchise as possible. This will give us more time to add improvements and quality of life features to the base game, including AI, UI, art, customization, and content. We will continue to tune the single player campaign and new career modes, making running your Mercenary Unit the most rewarding experience possible.

With the recent acquisition of Piranha Games by EG7, we have even more resources available to support these efforts. We will leverage this new relationship to take our MechWarrior titles to the next level, and increase our growth and presence globally. We understand that this news is not ideal for those that have been waiting to purchase the game on Steam or another platform, or for those that have been ready to dive into Heroes of the Inner Sphere, but we promise that the wait will be worth it.

We are in the process of creating a MechWarrior 5 developer vlog that will dive deeper into the decisions leading to this delay, as well as any other questions you might have about the future of MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries. You can look forward to that Dev Vlog being available on Tuesday, December 1st!

And finally, how will this decision affect MechWarrior Online? It won't! There will be no impact on our MechWarrior Online initiatives, and in fact this will likely benefit MWO in the long run by bringing more eyes to our multiplayer PvP MechWarrior experience. By the release of MW5 in Spring 2021, we should be well on our way towards implementing significant updates to MWO, including exciting improvements to the new player experience, making sure we’re ready for new players.

Thank you,

The MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Team

Last edited:

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
the first true MechWarrior experience ever on a console.

I mean yeah it controlled terrible but it was still Mechwarrior 2 running on a console. I know it was In Their Opinion but their opinion is wrong heh.

We will capitalize on this increased exposure with our largest marketing initiative to date, bringing as many new eyes to the MechWarrior franchise as possible.
When ever they talk like this you know its gonna end badly. It always does. Typical suits.

Cael

Arcane
We will capitalize on this increased exposure with our largest marketing initiative to date, bringing as many new eyes to the MechWarrior franchise as possible.
When ever they talk like this you know its gonna end badly. It always does. Typical suits.
Translation: Let's run a popular franchise into the ground by using banal crap, tinkering with it, and change it to something else! What can go wrong?

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
Since it looks like it may be coming to PC soon, did the game ever get decent?
It's already out on PC, it's just EGS exclusive until whenever the fuck the Steam release happens to occur.

No, it's shit. Mods salvage parts of it, and by salvage I mean make it not utter and total shit. AI mods for lancemates and enemies are a must. I recommend getting mods to make weapon velocities not retarded as well, to improve spawning behavior and make vees more threatening, and to replace the shit default HUD. Optional are things that open up MechLab for better customization and introduce non-stock variants in enemy lists to make things like Banshees and Cicadas actually threatening.

The problem right now is ironing out conflicts between mods, as mod creators are not always on the exact same page and even with the new modding system conflicts occur. There is a third party load order manager but it appears to be nonfunctional.

EDIT: Might be on the Microsoft Store/XBox Live too but wouldn't know because I don't pay attention to those.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
JEebus, 55 GB for this? Seeing it abuses randomized content, do they have the same damn lines repeated in 50 languages?

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
JEebus, 55 GB for this? Seeing it abuses randomized content, do they have the same damn lines repeated in 50 languages?
Voice acting is shit in it so that'd be a remarkable way to waste their time and people's HDD space. Fahad alone is the worst goddamn "vaguely South London" accent I've heard, Ryana's so-so, Spears is mostly OK but that's because they fucking pulled a proper VA for him, George Ledoux only ever shows up to do lines for one of the random base commanders you get in Defense, all the rest are unremarkable or outright bad. Fahad alone has earned a special place in my blackened heart due to the fact that you're forced to listen to him yap for no fucking good reason during the campaign. You could remove Fahad entirely and the game would be IMPROVED.

To make the case for things like Mercs Reloaded/Yet Another Mech: A stock Banshee-3E packs a PPC, AC/5 and Small Laser. The 3M is 2 PPCs, 2 Medium Lasers and the Small Laser. Neither of these is particularly threatening especially by the time you start encountering them.

One of the alternate variants of the 3M packs 4 Large Lasers and 4 Medium Lasers, at which point it becomes a fairly credible threat. Alternate 3E variants can pack 3 AC/5s or 4 AC/2s with Medium and Large Lasers, and these are actually fairly menacing at range as those smaller ACs fire fairly rapidly and can just blind you with explosions as they sandblast your armor.

The stock Cicadas are pretty much jokes. mookmechs that don't even slow you down. How about a Cicada-2A with 6 Medium Lasers, or 2 Large Lasers 4 Small Lasers? Or how about 6 Medium Pulse Lasers? That 6 MPL Cicada is genuinely fucking nasty, by the way - you're going to see them past 3030 in-game and with the Enemy AI upgrade mod they'll beeline for your rear arc and open your ass up like a can of beans.

These aren't the only variants to get facelifts, either. Even the lowly Locusts get some love. YAM adds the SLDF Royal Locust-1Vb which has enough bite to be a credible threat. If you want something that will really make you shit yourself in fear on a mission where you can't easily range enemies, how about an SRM30 Kintaro-18?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
Since it looks like it may be coming to PC soon, did the game ever get decent?
the mod community tried their best but the core game is so bad that it just isn't worth it.
For me it's a sunk-cost issue, seeing as how I missed the refund window (turns out a lot of people got pretty upset about the EGS bait and switch). Making a silk purse out of a sow's ear and all that. I figure if and when the DLC drops (they delayed it citing not wanting to compete with CP2077 which is funny as hell in retrospect) PGI might open up more of the code to modders so if somebody's so inclined they can iron out some of the underlying issues that haven't been resolved via the current batch of mods, but that's assuming any of the knowledgeable modders will bother sticking around for that.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
You can get this game for free from Game Pass. You can try Game Pass for $1.00. If you don't like it, you can get that $1.00 refunded. This game has been available on Game Pass for a long time.

And no, it's not shit. It's a shooter version of Mechwarrior Mercenaries. If you go in knowing that, knowing that its gameplay is action-oriented and almost by no means strategic or tactical, it's damned fun. If you take the time to add some choice mods, it actually becomes damned decent.

Shitty Kitty is a moron.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
You can get this game for free from Game Pass. You can try Game Pass for $1.00. If you don't like it, you can get that $1.00 refunded. This game has been available on Game Pass for a long time.

And no, it's not shit. It's a shooter version of Mechwarrior Mercenaries. If you go in knowing that, knowing that its gameplay is action-oriented and almost by no means strategic or tactical, it's damned fun. If you take the time to add some choice mods, it actually becomes damned decent.

Shitty Kitty is a moron.
I'm going to go over all the ways you're a fucking dipshit.

1. The veespam by itself isn't the hugest issue. The fact that the only way they're actually a threat is via sheer volume and shit like teleport-spawning in outside of your immediate FOV is an issue. The lack of variety is also an issue.
2. The AI in Vanilla is atrocious and very rudimentary. Most enemy mechs default to "circle of death" (and do not take into account obstructions), or "march towards you like zombies". Lancemate AI is horrid, they will commit friendly fire at astonishing rates because they do not check to see if firing lanes are clear of allies and they simply CAN NOT brawl. You will spend more time wrangling them than shooting things, and Lancemate commands are so simplistic that you're usually just telling them "stand here and don't get into any trouble".
3. Enemy mech drop composition is weighted heavily towards largely-harmless mook mechs due to how the game chooses to calculate what mechs you should face in the RNG drops. You'll see more Cicadas than were actually extant and operational in the Inner Sphere circa 3015, and they're all jokes.
4. Non-scripted mission design is the same uninspired slog of Assassination/Defense/Raid/Warzone, ad nauseam, with occasional multi-mission operations that just combine these. Some of the things that show up in scripted missions never show up anywhere else. Retrieving packages? Never happens again after the one early mission. Scripted city ambushes? You'll never see them outside story missions.
5. Dialogue is a snore. VA work is middling to poor.
6. The story isn't just non-canon, it actively controverts established canon at times and the premise goes from simplistic "YOU SHOT MY PAW!" shit right into the realm of utterly bonkers when
you find yourself squaring off against entire platoons of the fucking COM GUARD with a SINGLE LANCE
7. Vanilla MechLab is garbage. It neither scratches the borderline-munchkinesque customization itch nor does it necessarily tack closely to lore. It's a horrid middle ground that makes no sense, the worst of MW4M's mechlab and MWO's mechlab rolled into one.
8. Time scale is fucked in-game, largely due to the game pushing you to run around and do tons of non-plot shit in order to continue the main story, and if you speedrun like a madman you might complete the main storyline before 3039... it doesn't take that long due to any sort of challenge, it just bogs you down with theme-park bullshit and random wild goose chase crap, padded out with repairs and individual missions taking FOREVER.
9. Markets are nonsensical RNG. They neither tack to what you would expect to see in certain sectors re: mechs and equipment, nor do they necessarily have things that would simply be appropriate at certain points in the game/timeline. The "Rare Weapon" stuff can be crap like a Tier 3 Machine Gun that inexplicably costs three times as much as another Tier 3 Machine Gun being sold at the VERY SAME MARKET. The Hero mechs that will occasionally crop up range from garbage you only buy to rip Double Heat Sinks out of to insanely overpowered unique variants that rock all kinds of LosTech. The fact that something with an XL Engine, Double Heat Sinks, Pulse Lasers, ER weaponry and even Gauss Rifles can be found in 3015 and doesn't cost an utterly INSANE amount of CBills or get Comstar breathing down your neck with the quickness is nonsensical.
At some point you will recover your deceased father's Nightstar, a mech that is EXTINCT in the Inner Sphere. Shortly after you will find pristine Nightstars in markets despite the blueprints being utterly lost to the best of humanity's knowledge.
10. AI Lancemates can fire weapons without actually needing ammo. You only have to equip a 1/2 ton of the appropriate ammo, and the component that ammo is stored in can be destroyed during the course of a mission - and your AI Lancemates will still fire the weapon that uses that ammo, no problem.
11. Scripted missions make heavy use of magical, transparent red walls to herd you along certain paths. Not just to hem in the mission area, but to keep you on a very particular path. You will see a path leading off a snowy mountain pass and think "hey, wonder if I could use this to get a better angle on a target without drawing as much fire from defenses - oh, magical red forcefield."
12. Optimization is poor to nonexistent. I've never had a UE4 game make my computer sound like it's trying to achieve liftoff before MW5M. Despite the hefty load, graphics are still mediocre, and MW5M uses/abuses things like TAA and sharpening which make many things in the game look like SHIT.
13. Vanilla HUD and UI design is, in general, shit.
14. Even if you get access to Double Heat Sinks, all engine mounted heat sinks will always be treated as Singles if the mech came stock with Singles. You cannot change this at all in Vanilla.
15. There is no advanced zoom in Vanilla.
16. There are actually assets for Union-class Dropships in game. You will only see them used as props in 2 missions, you cannot upgrade the Leopard to a Union to run a full company. Your Leopard has weapons that it will never fire in Vanilla.
17. Vehicles can and will fall through holes in world geometry or otherwise "freak out" and bounce into the air corkscrewing around before landing again. Some objectives that require enemy unit destruction can be impossible to complete if a vehicle falls through world geometry but isn't marked out of bounds and thus destroyed (this happened multiple times to me).
18. Sometimes on a drop where you start on the Leopard you will find the mechbay exit blocked by terrain because the Leopard has actually somehow phased into the ground or into a mountainside.
19. PGI repeatedly lied during the course of MW5M's development and release, including lying about where you could buy MW5M (they bait-and-switched people into using EGS, this got people angry enough that they offered refunds), promised a Steam release date and kept pushing it back, promised DLC release date of Winter 2020 and postponed it claiming CP2077 coming out at the same time would have screwed them (HA!). They did this because Epic gave them money to make it EGS exclusive, and they didn't tell anybody till after the deal was closed.
20. Mod support at release was awful. PGI eventually put in a new mod system for MW5M and it's still troublesome and requires workarounds to address conflicts. Aside from Alex Garden being an absolute champ and stepping in of his own volition to help with the AI mods, PGI has done zip to make modding MW5M easier or more worthwhile.
21. Multimission operations would randomly revoke negotiated bonuses past the first mission, leaving you with bare minimum for payout and salvage.
22. Weapon balance and design ranges from dumb to outright nonsensical, with AC/2 burst-fire models being OBJECTIVELY INFERIOR to AC/2 single-fire models for no reason due to rate of fire limiting the DPS. Burst-fire ACs are supposed to be the "higher DPS but with shell spread/chance of slightly lower damage due to individual shells missing". Ammo switching for LBX ACs is still nonexistent - PGI originally cited CryEngine limitations for failing to do this in MWO, but as it turns out they were likely lying about that too because they failed to implement it in a UE4 game. Whatever they did, it's hardcoded enough that even MODS that give alternate ammo to other weapons (like Infernos for SRM launchers) have to use the same stupid system of swapping out the weapon itself to change the ammo fired.
23. Jump jets are somehow EVEN WORSE than they were in MWO, with a notable delay in activation and no capability for directional vectoring - they only launch you forward, regardless of what direction your mech is traveling. MekTek had figured out directional jumpjets some time ago.
24. Overall sound design including music is subpar and uninspired.
25. Rigging/animations on a number of mechs are shit.
26. Archers and Catapults are both missing their distinctive missile bay doors, despite MW5M lifting FlyingDebris' MWO redesigns of numerous mech chasses. The Catapults' arms default to a big box with 35 (!!) tubes regardless of the launcher equipped.
27. Legging a mech doesn't even permanently slow it down during a mission. A legged mech will limp for ~30 sec. max and then take off at full speed again shortly after.
28. Salvage rates make no sense, with legging giving the LOWEST salvage rate and coring giving the second highest after headshots.
29. Despite carrying over paint schemes from MWO, multiple paint schemes from MWO are conspicuously absent, and there is no option in Vanilla to save a given custom paint scheme in-game.
30. Shunting mechs into cold storage occasionally damages them, sometimes severely with entire limbs being lost, and they have to be repaired again after being removed from cold storage. Known bug that's been in since release, has yet to be addressed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom