Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rance Series

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Now this is how you motivate players to complete hard quests.

rq_hard_quest.png

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Now this is how you motivate players to complete hard quests.

rq_hard_quest.png

This quest was quite annoying because all of those chars have low lvl caps. I had to find 3 jewels which I traded for tickets that increase lvl cap by 20.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So on the mangagamer poll I suggested that they aim for Daiteikoku, Beat Valkyrie Ixseal, and Kamidori Alchemy Meister next. I know the last is a Eushully title and the likelihood that Eushully will change their minds is a low one, but hey I'm still hoping. With the Steam Evenicle 2 debacle, maybe we'll get lucky and that game will show up on mangagamer too.

Anyway, I've only played a little bit of Rance 8 so far, but I noticed that there doesn't seem to be any sort of time limit and you can repeat dungeons over and over again. If you can grind in this way, why bother starting the game in easy mode?

Tyrr

Liturgist
Rance is lvl 42 and I already have a large group of characters (52) together, but only 3 healers: Sel, Crook and the useless hag. Did I miss a quest trigger or is this normal?
No spoilers please.

KingDoofus

Scholar
Rance is lvl 42 and I already have a large group of characters (52) together, but only 3 healers: Sel, Crook and the useless hag. Did I miss a quest trigger or is this normal?
No spoilers please.

This is hard to answer without spoilers. There are more healers that will become available as the game progresses and
at least 1 you can get if you fulfill certain requirements (as well as several non-healers with certain requirements).
While dungeon diving, you'll often get scenes with characters in your party when you change rooms; the scenes with one specific character are usually a reveal on the secret to recruiting hidden characters you've missed so far (you can guess which one).

KingDoofus

Scholar
If you can grind in this way, why bother starting the game in easy mode?

The translation renamed it to "TADA mode" as a reference to why TADA wanted it put in. When replaying the game, TADA found it time consuming replaying old quests just to get low level characters up to the rest of the party or gold farming. This basically cuts that grinding in half. Or more simply as Radek put it, "Time." (Personally, I enjoy the extra challenge of having an underleveled party so I just avoid it)

You mentioned Eushully "changing their minds," Deuce Traveler. What are you referring to? I'd love to see some Eushully games get licensed into English too.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
(Personally, I enjoy the extra challenge of having an underleveled party so I just avoid it)
I play with TADA mode, and at this point I have no uncleared quests easier than challenge level 38, and my highest lvl character is 33, so it's perfectly possible to wind up underleveled either way.

Anyway, I've only played a little bit of Rance 8 so far, but I noticed that there doesn't seem to be any sort of time limit and you can repeat dungeons over and over again. If you can grind in this way, why bother starting the game in easy mode?
Because playing the same dungeons 20 times is 10 times too many ?

KingDoofus

Scholar
I feel like "Challenge Level" isn't the best descriptor for the quests. It has a clear function; units 5 levels higher (I think) will get their experience gains cut. But I don't think the game expects your team to be at that level when clearing a stage. I'm further along and clearing Challenge Levels in the 50s with a team in the 30s is doable. It's a grind friendly game where you really don't need to grind.

(Part of that is the interesting way level interacts with being Mororun'd. You can have a unit at level 30 filled up with better gear from level 40)

(...and looking at the patch notes, the level/grinding aspect was a much bigger pain in the ass in earlier versions)

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I'm further along and clearing Challenge Levels in the 50s with a team in the 30s is doable. It's a grind friendly game where you really don't need to grind.
Perhaps? I mean I am also managing, but part of said managing means killing less monsters and doing less exploration, because I am bleeding attacks and hp left and right. This means getting less xp, making me fall even further behind which I don't like.

So far the only missions I'm really playing more than once are the malgrin dungeon though and various monster girl hunts (HNNNNNNNNNNG), which feels fine.

Because playing the same dungeons 20 times is 10 times too many ?
Weak. Played cockroach extermination 40+ times. 10/10. Will play again.
Have not unlocked, can't comment.

TigerKnee

Arcane
No spoilers please.
Some character classes are pretty underpopulated until the Magnum content kicks in - you're likely intended to create Custom Characters to fill in the gaps

TigerKnee

Arcane
You mentioned Eushully "changing their minds," Deuce Traveler. What are you referring to? I'd love to see some Eushully games get licensed into English too.
A bunch of translators have said that Eushully have the standard Japanese Xenophobic mindset where they don't even want to consider any form of foreign licensing of their games - so it's not that the current companies are uninterested in translating Eushully games but Eushully themselves aren't budging.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom