Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout The Worst Fallout Games - Fallout 1 & 2

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Is this shit for real? Is Screenrant fucking kidding me?

https://screenrant.com/fallout-worst-best-games-ranked/

The Worst Fallout Games - Fallout 1 & 2

At launch, Fallout 1 & 2 were great PC games, but they haven't stood the test of time. When discussing the best Fallout games it's easy to ignore the first two titles, and many players will understandably leave them out due to their radical differences compared to modern Fallouts. Fallout 1 & 2 are turn-based point-and-click adventure CRPGs, and their gameplay and visuals are very outdated. Set in a post-apocalyptic Southern California, the players take control of a Vault Dweller, and the history of the nuclear fallout is laid out for the players.

Unless players have an undying need for Fallout lore, the first two games are easily skippable. Their slow pacing and lackluster gameplay make them mostly unenjoyable to play for those who are used to modern-day gaming, and skipping these titles doesn't take anything away from the rest of the series. It's important to be thankful for these two games that laid the groundwork for what was to come, but that doesn't mean players have to suffer through the painful amount of time it takes for every citizen of a city to walk five steps before it's their turn again.

4. Fallout 76

The online-only Fallout 76 isn't a bad game, but it's missing a lot of what makes the offline titles so enjoyable. Fallout 76 is an attempt to turn the Fallout series into an MMO, but encountering other players in the wild feels awkwardly like passing by a stranger on the sidewalk, except the stranger is carrying a rocket launcher and may or may not challenge the player to a duel. The storyline and setting are the most disappointing aspects of Fallout 76, as they don't feel as compelling as other titles in the franchise. The game's story doesn't make players want to complete it, and the world isn't very interesting.

RELATED: Huge Fallout New Vegas Mod Taken Offline Following Developer Controversy

However, Fallout 76 receives major updates periodically that make considerable changes to the game. Bethesda has since added human NPCs, additional locations, and even more quests that help expand the world and make it feel more like a traditional Fallout experience. That being said, Fallout 76 still doesn't quite scratch the same itch as other Fallout titles, and it acts as more of a placeholder between Fallout 4 and the inevitable Fallout 5.

3. Fallout: New Vegas

Fallout: New Vegas is hailed as one of the greatest Fallout games, and rightfully so. Set in the wasteland of post-nuclear Las Vegas, Fallout: New Vegas switches things up by not making its main character a Vault Dweller. Instead, players are a courier who is seeking revenge against the man who attempted to murder them. The wasteland is dangerous, desolate, and unforgiving; but humanity clings to life in distinctive cities and outposts. Fallout: New Vegas has a fantastic storyline and explores what life is like for those who never had a life inside a Vault.

New Vegas also introduces weapon modifications to the series, which make small changes to how a weapon functions, but they aren't as easily accessible as they are in later games. Fallout: New Vegas is a good game to play for those who have invested time into other Fallout titles first, as it doesn't do the greatest job of explaining the history of the war. There are also various concepts New Vegas explores that are better explained if players were to play other titles first. Regardless, Fallout: New Vegas is a great installment in the Fallout series and offers a unique take on dystopian Las Vegas.

2. Fallout 3

Fallout 3 is the first 3D Fallout that took the series into Bethesda's style of open worlds, and it is one of the best places to start for new players who are trying to get into the series. Fallout 3's storyline is one of the most exciting and most compelling, as it gives a glimpse of what it's like to grow up in a Vault. When the player's father unexpectedly leaves, the main character must track him down in post-apocalyptic Washington D.C. All of Fallout's core mechanics, factions, and important historical events are introduces throughout the game's storyline, and players are set loose in the series' first desolate world.

RELATED: What Amazon's Fallout TV Show Needs To Avoid From The Game

That doesn't mean that Fallout 3 is perfect. In-fact, its outdated graphics and poor FPS mechanics might make it hard to play when compared to modern-day gaming. However, its faults are overshadowed by its world, lore, and storyline. For players who are just getting into the series, Fallout 3 is the quickest way to be brought up to speed.

Best Fallout Game - Fallout 4

Fallout 4 is by far the most polished game in the series, and it does a lot of things right that other Fallout games struggle with. Its storyline is more compelling than Fallout 3, it fixes its combat to make the game feel more like an FPS (which stops players from relying too heavily on VATS), it makes mods easily accessible, and even allows console owners to mod the game. Its weapon modification system is more versatile, and players can even customize the Power Armor they find around the map.

One of the best parts of Fallout 4 is its base building. It can be a bit wonky to start, but Fallout 4 gives players a reason to build bases outside of a personal place to stow all their items. The bases players build are settlements that can attract other people throughout the wasteland. On top of hundreds of hours of exploration and side quests, players play a vital role in rebuilding civilization. The major locations in Fallout 4 are the best in the series to date, and it introduces concepts independent of other titles that make it a great place to start for players who haven't played other Fallout titles.

Which one of you wrote it? I need answers here.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
It's Screenrant.. They probably have a bot to create and post the most shitty articles ever, it's kinda amazing how bad it's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
"Fallout: New Vegas is hailed as one of the greatest Fallout games, and rightfully so."
...Ranks it number 3.

You can't expect these people to have enough patience to get through fallout 1, they need instant gratification, a lot of shiny thing, cool buttons. The writer talks a lot about fortnite. Notice how in fortnite items are shiny colors and they pop out everywhere with a little sound effect, this can be seen in a lot of other games too, it helps keep their attention. This is what newer games are training players to be like. Lot's of surface level shine and instant gratification to keep the player interested in the second to second of everything rather than the minute to minute, or even hour to hour.

"Fallout 4 is by far the most polished game in the series"

566a013edd089570458b4683

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Tune in for next week's episode: "Top 10 reasons why Tides of Numenera is the better Torment game (and why you should skip playing the predecessor altogether)"

Drowed

Arcane
Most gaming sites survive on clickbait and hateclicks alone. They are being totally replaced by hyperactive, autistic 12-year-old Youtubers, which doesn't really change much.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
4 is the best at what Bethesda was trying to do with the series. Basically a hybrid of Skyrim with Diablo elements thrown into the mix (randomized weapon/armor bonuses). Obviously it's miles below New Vegas as far as writing and design amongst the modern Fallout titles.

Gastrick

Cipher
The article seems to have been written by TemplarGR's cousin. "Damn spergs".
This is yet another reason why mainstream journos should be completely ignored

Okagron

Prophet
It's so fucking transparent that it's trying to be "controversial" just to get views and thus get ad revenue. The poorly explained "reasons" for the placement of each game and the fact it skims so from each game, good and bad, makes it obvious that is such a low effort clickbait article.

Or the person that wrote the article is just a retard. Either way, horrible article.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I think this article was a missed opportunity. Why not call that Fallout PS2 game the best game in the series? Or Fallout Tactics better than FO1&2? Its not like this is about the main series either, since NV and the MMO are officially spin-offs.

Risewild

Arbiter
I'm glad I created and maintain a thread over at NMA that lists how real Fallout players rank all Fallout games, even the ones that shouldn't be called Fallout.
It's a breath of fresh air seeing that the majority of Fallout players have better taste than what that article says.

Here's the link to my thread, in case any of you are interested in checking the real rates of Fallout games, by Fallout players in the three largest gaming platforms I could think of (Metacritic, Steam and GOG):
What others think about the Fallout games. NMA Thread

Sykar

Arcane
That Failderp 3 and 4 got such high ratings by the "gaming journalists" justs shows how utterly retarded and corrupt that incestuous hive of scum and villany really is. As a teenager I was an avid Gamestar reader. I wisened up in my early 20s and have not read or payed for "gaming journalists" ever again. I still hope that at some point the whole puss filled rotten corpse that is "gaming journalism" gets swollowed up by daddy Nurgle.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
He's serious. Guy writes about Pokemon, Fortnite, and Minecraft for a living. 3 articles a day. You need a special brain for that.

What a cunt.

lol before I opened thread I thought this would be an edgy post to get a bunch of rage responses from a codex member,lol

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom