Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

slymer

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah I can see giving SoD a 6 or 7, but like I said, I don't think I'll have the urge to play it again. I'd just go straight into BG2.

Kliwer

Savant
You can fix all of these problems with Shadowkeeper or whatever it's called. You can modify what skills Imoen has invested in, and bring her up to your level.

Yes, I can. But what for? Incorporation of Imoen is a matter of LARping anyway.

Also I'm pretty sure CDTweaks already does the latter? You are using that right?

No. I have a fairly old installation (2-3 years ago). Then there was no The Tweaks Anthology (but I have a few mods that went into this build afterwards). Anyway - as it is, it's okay. It's even logical that Imoen - who has been in captivity for a long time - has less experience than the rest of the group.

Yosharian

Arcane
It's not really logical unless Imoen did absolutely nothing except sit in a cell. Maybe Jon made her fight monsters to unlock her powers? Maybe he did tests on her to awaken them? Maybe he got her to cast spells over and over until she practically dropped dead from exhaustion? Maybe she tried to escape over and over and over?

There are hundreds of ways you could justify her gaining experience while she is away from the party. D&D 'Experience' is an abstract concept anyway.

Kliwer

Savant
It's not really logical unless Imoen did absolutely nothing except sit in a cell. Maybe Jon made her fight monsters to unlock her powers? Maybe he did tests on her to awaken them? Maybe he got her to cast spells over and over until she practically dropped dead from exhaustion? Maybe she tried to escape over and over and over?

There are hundreds of ways you could justify her gaining experience while she is away from the party. D&D 'Experience' is an abstract concept anyway.

True. But she has more experience than before (at the end of the prologue to BG2 she was around 160,000, now she's around 500,000). She just has a million less than the others. In the perspective of BG2 and ToB, it is not such a big difference. She will soon unlock level 6 spells and will be completely functional.

But why? Why would you want Imoen in your team?

Ehmm ... because she is my stepsister and childhood friend? Because LN heroes act honorably? Because my character has no other family around the wide world?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Ehmm ... because she is my stepsister and childhood friend? Because LN heroes act honorably? Because my character has no other family around the wide world?

Doesn't make her any less of an annoying twat tho. The LN thing to do would be to rescue her, but not necesserily have her tag along. And you do have plenty of other step-siblings. Balthazar, Yaga Shura, Sendai, etc, etc.

Cael

Arcane

Doesn't make her any less of an annoying twat tho. The LN thing to do would be to rescue her, but not necesserily have her tag along. And you do have plenty of other step-siblings. Balthazar, Yaga Shura, Sendai, etc, etc.
Imoen has to be the least annoying of the NPCs. She barely had any lines outside of the main quest ones.

Finished Durlag's Tower. Fantastic dungeon. So much glorious loot too. It's sad that I end up acquiring all of it before I typically wrap of the game. The demon knight fight was fun. Khalid took a beating after he was stunned, and just barely made it out alive due to his miniscule magic resistance blocking a Power Word: Kill. The demon knight's magic resistance was a pain, but amusingly my wild mage experienced a wild surge that slowed the demon half way through the fight. Probably saved Khalid's life. Now all that remains is to finish up business in Baldur's Gate and kill Sarevok. I'm excited for new dungeons in SoD, but I'm trying to keep my expectations low.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Hey guys, I need help with something that's been bothering me for years.

When I was playing BG1 on release year, for some reason a memory of Minsc's Boo transformation burned itself in my brain. As in, I was doing something with Boo in his inventory, then talked to Minsc and somehow triggered Boo to grow into a giant space hamster. I even remember the animation, similar to the one where people become werewolves, of Boo spawning next to Minsc as a giant bypedal hamster, built like a bear on steroids.

I was never able to recreate this event and for the longest time I thought maybe it was a dream. But why or how would I dream something so elaborate and full of details?

Am I crazy? Or is this like an incredibly hard to trigger Easter egg?

Kliwer

Savant
Hey guys, I need help with something that's been bothering me for years.

When I was playing BG1 on release year, for some reason a memory of Minsc's Boo transformation burned itself in my brain. As in, I was doing something with Boo in his inventory, then talked to Minsc and somehow triggered Boo to grow into a giant space hamster. I even remember the animation, similar to the one where people become werewolves, of Boo spawning next to Minsc as a giant bypedal hamster, built like a bear on steroids.

I was never able to recreate this event and for the longest time I thought maybe it was a dream. But why or how would I dream something so elaborate and full of details?

Am I crazy? Or is this like an incredibly hard to trigger Easter egg?

There is Unfinished Business mod for BG2 - it adds a personal quest for Minsc. This quest is about his hamster. As far as I can remember, Minsc might get the ability to "summon a hamster" or something like that (as long as we complete the quest perfectly). It's the only thing that comes to my mind.

Probably saved Khalid's life. Now all that remains is to finish up business in Baldur's Gate and kill Sarevok.
You're supposed to go back to Ulgoth's Beard after finishing Durlag's Tower.

Well yea. To "return the dagger". Ace'letec isn't going to be banished all by himself, is he? I already did that, but neglected to mention it. Thank you for the reminder though. That's a good fight. Especially the cultists leading up to it. I usually let the demon "bloom" twice to account for my metaknowledge and make things square.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I never knew what Palladin is about as well. Until like 4th playthrough. I've just tried it. It was sort of an okeyish fighter with some added healing until I've reached the dreaded lair of the Beholders. 1 Palladin going through, rest of the party at the entrance, 100x spell failed messages from beholders, all dead without a scratch.

Erebus

Arcane
Just finished BG2 again. It had been quite a few years since I last replayed it.

I remember how excited I was the very first time I played Throne of Bhaal. Finally, the conclusion of the Bhaalspawn saga ! I took me a while to admit to myself that it was much less enjoyable than Shadows of Amn. The main thing that bothered me back then was probably that the world felt a lot smaller and emptier... and I think it's still my main problem with ToB now. It's not the only problem, of course.

Anyway, it's over. After vanquishing What's-her-face, I decided to ascend and became... an evil god of murder reigning in the Abyss ? What ? I was playing a paladin ! And I had a reputation of 20 ! Is it because I told that annoying Solar to piss off quite a few times ?

A horse of course

Just finished BG2 again. It had been quite a few years since I last replayed it.

I remember how excited I was the very first time I played Throne of Bhaal. Finally, the conclusion of the Bhaalspawn saga ! I took me a while to admit to myself that it was much less enjoyable than Shadows of Amn. The main thing that bothered me back then was probably that the world felt a lot smaller and emptier... and I think it's still my main problem with ToB now. It's not the only problem, of course.

Anyway, it's over. After vanquishing What's-her-face, I decided to ascend and became... an evil god of murder reigning in the Abyss ? What ? I was playing a paladin ! And I had a reputation of 20 ! Is it because I told that annoying Solar to piss off quite a few times ?

iirc the ending is based solely on A: Whether you accept godhood or not and B: Whatever alignment is listed on your character sheet. There are certain things you can do in BG2 to change your alignment to evil, such as randomly murdering a lot of NPCs or specific decisions like the sacrifice stats vs. sacrifice a party member choice in Hell.

Codex Year of the Donut

A paladin should have known the consequences and rejected godhood.

Erebus

Arcane
iirc the ending is based solely on A: Whether you accept godhood or not and B: Whatever alignment is listed on your character sheet. There are certain things you can do in BG2 to change your alignment to evil, such as randomly murdering a lot of NPCs or specific decisions like the sacrifice stats vs. sacrifice a party member choice in Hell.

There has to be something else. My PC was definitely still a LG paladin at the end of the game.

After personally killing 808 people/monsters/beings in BG2, becoming a god of killing was kind of a logical career choice.

A horse of course

There has to be something else. My PC was definitely still a LG paladin at the end of the game.

After personally killing 808 people/monsters/beings in BG2, becoming a god of killing was kind of a logical career choice.

Good godhood ending:

BAD godhood ending:

I have no idea how you got the second ending if you were LG. I don't know when the last chance to change alignment is, presumably the final Bhaal trial, though maybe you can say evil things to the Solar at the end of the Melissan fight to change your alignment?

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Damn I've never finished the datadisk. My installed BG BWP +50 mods has been gathering dust and disk errors untouched for years.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Btw stumbled on a guy who do BG/BG2 no damage runs - how cool/hard/un/usual is this?
We all know Davaeorn I guess, he do just ironman, but no damage...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom