Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aliens: Fireteam Elite - co-op third person shooter from Cold Iron Studios

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I like Aliens.
slice10.gif

Ebonsword

Arcane
Eh I'd rather play Space Hulk Deathwing.

Wow, this looks really, really terrible. The aliens have no menace to them and seem to have awful animations, to boot. The aliens need to be much creepier. Darker environments and no stupid outline around targets would be some good first steps.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
We've already determined that it is shit, no further evidence required. Especially not from clueless presstitutes. Close thread.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I don't think Alien even has enough enemy variety for a shooter. Unless the facehuggers attached themselves to non-humans too, since the offspring takes the form of whatever its parent is. They could infect pets or test animals. They never try hard enough to break the mold. Even Isolation, although it's the best Alien game we may ever get now, is so busy with imitation that the controls for the big space arm at the end for some reason have the same interface as the self-destruct in Alien. That makes no sense.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I want something like AvP from 2000s. That game was quite scary and tense.
we all know that never gonna happen
if can only get worse after AvP 2010 and Alien CM
fear and tension is something that modern devs can't do
not to mention action in FPS that must be designed for consoles with awful FOV turning game into a slog with quicksand everywhere that makes running painful
All they had to do was repurpose Isolation's design for multiplayer: one xenos player ghosting the place and one team of marines.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
All these games look sameish and copied various shit from left for dead, wwz and vermintide....

Just the boring enemy variety that comes with aliens makes it boring! So they pull shit out of their ass: Predalien Xploder which is a combination of Charger and Boomer wooohooo

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
The IP deserves better than this.

Personally I think the IP has been played out for a while now.
The first couple of movies were decent, and we got some nice spin off material. But the Aliens franchise was never designed to go on forever, and that could be felt in expanded universe media in which the universe and everything in it was reduced to number of repeating recycled elements.
-Weyland Yutani was doing secret experiments with the aliens, possibly using colonists.
-Some person, a 'mad' scientist develops a really unhealthy relationship with the aliens.
-Alternatively the crew of a commercial or independent ship discovers a hive or a lone alien. Or a bunch of colonists find a hive or an alien.
-The universe is a corporate shithole in which everyone back stabs each other for a percentage. And yet some more moral people are still surprised to find about this fact when it hits them in the face.
-Inevitably something goes wrong.
-Or terrorists appear on the scene.
-Or now Seegson is doing some attempt to steal W-Y knowledge through corporate espionage, and sabotage.
-Gun ho space marines appear.
-A spy among the marines, or survivors, or a corporate executive tries to make sure that everything is covered up that could harm the company, or prevent it from making the aliens into a product of which the company owns the patents.
-An android may appear who is perhaps nice or evil.

I think that the IP owners have no real idea how to use the IP properly, having it used for various media that only retreads the same path over again, or that of another product but now featuring aliens.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The latest Alien book has been taken over by SJW cucks, too.

That didn't take long. What did they do?

The series rather lost me when I saw that weird human hybrid.

Iranians built a colony on top of some secret Wey-Yu lab. Lots and lots of not-so-subtle commentary about the US/Colonial Marines being mean to Muzzies and secret WMDs and such.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Iranians built a colony on top of some secret Wey-Yu lab. Lots and lots of not-so-subtle commentary about the US/Colonial Marines being mean to Muzzies and secret WMDs and such.

Oh that thing. I misunderstood you and thought you were talking about the Marvel Alien comic.

I only ever read one Alien book, Alien: Cold Forge, and I grew so damn bored with it half way. The thing was so full of clichés.
Franchise books are in general terrible. There are some Star Trek and Star Wars ones I like, but the bad stories outnumber the good ones.

As for what you wrote, yeah that is the current trend. Western (white) supremacy doing all kinds of evil things to other nations and people, because it was evil from the start.
Sounds like the book is more a propaganda piece of the writer.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom