Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civvie thread (classic FPS reviews/commentary on youtube)

A horse of course

I have never finished Wolf 3D. It's just too monotonous to endure for 60 levels.

I played through it in 1997 to show my friend the power of my new blazing fast 200mhz processor.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I have never finished Wolf 3D. It's just too monotonous to endure for 60 levels.
You're not wrong, but I've seen some people say its better only if you play the first 3 episodes, as the last 3 were only added because they could. You can tell because that's when a lot of the level design gets really unhinged. Frankly, they barely had enough good ideas for one episode...

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
civvie was the Codex's biggest darling until he revealed that he donated money to the #BLM cause. He's been a persona non grata ever since among the sourly usual suspects lol.

He didn't donate to BLM, he donated to free BLM looters. There's an important distinction there.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
He could have continued to just make funny videos about shootman gaems but like EVERY liberal ever he couldn't keep his politics out of it so fuck him.

Boleskine

Arcane
GManLives had a period a couple years ago that he was turning into a shill for AAA shooters, but he seems to have gotten back on track. Can he become the Codex's top FPS youtuber again?

Haven't seen the Wolf3D video yet, but some of Civvie's newer videos are a bit long and bloated. I agree with previous comments that the formula has gotten stale - maybe he should mix up the "walkthrough" structure for his reviews or otherwise try to focus more on quality. Too many YTers try to stretch their runtimes for ads and YT algorithm reasons.

Keyboard Vomit

civvie was the Codex's biggest darling until he revealed that he donated money to the #BLM cause. He's been a persona non grata ever since among the sourly usual suspects lol.

He didn't donate to BLM, he donated to free BLM looters. There's an important distinction there.
If you think about it looting is just undocumented donation gathering.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
GManLives had a period a couple years ago that he was turning into a shill for AAA shooters, but he seems to have gotten back on track. Can he become the Codex's top FPS youtuber again?

GMan has covered more games but he only covers things at a surface level while Civvie does get into more detail and is often more "correct" at a technical level (also i think he understands how things work in games better than GMan). His main issue lately IMO is that for some reason he decided to add some gimmicks in his videos (like the one in Wolf3D where he plays without saving) instead of playing the games properly. Also i liked the whole "prisoner" persona/setup that he had in his early videos, but aside of the occasional joke here and there he basically stopped that around the time he started gaining more popularity. If anything, i found that way more amusing than his recent gimmicks.

A horse of course

GMan has covered more games but he only covers things at a surface level while Civvie does get into more detail and is often more "correct" at a technical level (also i think he understands how things work in games better than GMan). His main issue lately IMO is that for some reason he decided to add some gimmicks in his videos (like the one in Wolf3D where he plays without saving) instead of playing the games properly. Also i liked the whole "prisoner" persona/setup that he had in his early videos, but aside of the occasional joke here and there he basically stopped that around the time he started gaining more popularity. If anything, i found that way more amusing than his recent gimmicks.

civvie's video were always a little "gimmicky" imo, though the "correct" way to play old games is always going to be a bone of contention. tbh I don't think ggman or civvie are quite entertaining or charismatic enough to carry videos on their personalities alone. Neither are especially funny or witty. ggman is obviously going to be less offensive to the average codexer (lower middle class, late 20s-30s, latin american or slavic ethnicity, lost virginity late in life) since when he goes off on tangents, they're usually anti-SJW/pro-boobs/lightly politically-incorrect, whereas when civvie goes off (he used to use cancer mouse as his strawman but he doesn't bother with that as much now) it's about FUCK NAZIS and misogyny or how buttmad he is about the word "snowflake". As a side note, there was a period when ggman seemed to be moving into the SJW camp (whining about sexualization) but he kinda rubberbanded back pretty hard and doesn't have that "teehee coomer games are for INCELS" tone when he does reviews of stuff like galgun.

I'm definitely in the "watch civvie for 10m and get bored" camp at this point. ggman I'll still watch when he does an interesting topic like the James Bond game roundup. If civvie did more boomer shooter mod/total conversion reviews (e.g. The AMC mod, WGrealms etc.) or something it'd probably help since that's his niche.

I'm still waiting for Ninja Destroyer to finish his hdoom video review

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

GmanLives is a popamole scrub. We liked Civvie because he wasn't as much of a shill or didn't bitch that shit like Sigil was too teh hard on ultra-violence (all the more amusing considering we live in the age of the absolute buttrape that is nuDoom at higher difficulties).

If Civvie becomes some SJW shill faggot i think the better alternative is to stop watching either of those retards.

Curratum

My issue with civvie is not whatever SJW agenda he may have. My issue with civvie is that his humor is horrible and all his videos are for zoomer kids "Let me tell you about this here room or particular section of a famous level that everyone and their dog has played to death and knows inside out, but I'll try to make it fresh and hip for the kids".

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
My issue with civvie is not whatever SJW agenda he may have. My issue with civvie is that his humor is horrible and all his videos are for zoomer kids "Let me tell you about this here room or particular section of a famous level that everyone and their dog has played to death and knows inside out, but I'll try to make it fresh and hip for the kids".
Fatso even has the nerve to talk with the condescending tone, like he has any kind of authority or especially good at the games he plays. Like, Decino puts fatso to shame and he's nowhere near this pretentious

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

My favorite is Icarus cause 90% of his videos cover mods, while neither GMan nor Civvie give good coverage to user-made content.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Like, Decino puts fatso to shame and he's nowhere near this pretentious

Decino may be insane (I'll freely admit that a man that apparently does again and again and again the commentary from the beginning when he restarts on slaughtermaps because doing anything else may be "cheating" sounds kinda crazy) but he throws out top-tier content and sounds like a great guy. It's a pity I don't watch his "generic" videos, but his analysis stuff is quite interesting for someone that likes the inner workings of Doom.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
artduck03.gif
Doesn't it get tiring when all you have is a hammer and everything starts to look like a nail?

A horse of course

My favorite is Icarus cause 90% of his videos cover mods, while neither GMan nor Civvie give good coverage to user-made content.

ggman does cover mods though. In fact he covers ZDoom/eDuke TCs more frequently than civvie if I'm not mistaken.

Ravielsk

Magister
One thing that irks me the most about Civvie is that he forces far too many of his jokes. Like in his "You are empty" video he is slapping around the term "jank" like its a synonym for "is". I get that some of the imagery in that game is surreal but that hardly fits the criteria of being janky. This is a trend across a number of his videos where he assigns the game a certain "joke" and then repeats it ad nauseam. He is also a uncultured swine who takes games specifically made and set in eastern european environment and goes "whoa this not like murica" several times over because apparently repeating the same joke in every video makes it funnier. Worse yet when people point out to him that he is wrong he acts like a little bitch about it, his Hrot video spends a solid chunk of its runtime with him bitching about precisely that.

lightbane

Arcane
Worse yet when people point out to him that he is wrong he acts like a little bitch about it, his Hrot video spends a solid chunk of its runtime with him bitching about precisely that.
As in, complaining in the video itself? Lol, what a fat loser.
Meanwhile, pagb666 did a walk-trough of the demo without saying a word, as usual.

Boleskine

Arcane
Should this thread change from being just about Civvie videos to an all-encompassing Civvie/GManLives/other youtuber FPS thread?

Should this thread change from being just about Civvie videos to an all-encompassing Civvie/GManLives/other youtuber FPS thread?
Combine all the Youtube threads into one megathread and then slam dunk it into the gaming drama forum so I never have to see them again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom