Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Larianshill

Arbiter
I wonder which one is worse, the BG3 subreddit or the forum. I don't have the bravery or the sanity to check either of those shitholes again though.
The subreddit. Karma is the reason.

I wonder which one is worse, the BG3 subreddit or the forum. I don't have the bravery or the sanity to check either of those shitholes again though.
The official forum isn't honestly that bad (aside for the aforementioned new moderator acting like the new sheriff in town).

The subreddit is fucking insufferable from top to end.

Thonius

Arcane
BG1 is the peak that will never be eclipsed. Problem with devs today is arrogance and lack of imagination/vision. It probably also has to do with millennial lack of attention span and patience for a slow build up.
The problem is cargo cult and devs doing things without an understanding of why successful title x did y. Parroting and list checking.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Other feel like a martial should be only capable of what's possible in real life, and that anything else is "anime". And there are, of course, caster players who feel insulted at the very notion of someone other than them having options and utility.

A lv 20+ barbarian with high CON on 2e and 3.5e already can soak more damage than a small army of soldiers. What is the problem of making then supernatural in other aspects? Remember that we aren't talking about IRL medieval fighters. We are talking about high fantasy fighters in a so high fantasy world, that existed a civilization of archwizards on flying cities(Netheril) with magical spaceships(spelljammer). As for caster players, who are this caster players? I an probably the biggest magefag on Codex and like the idea of then having options and utility. And tiered progression to martial classes too.

5e D&D should have added more options to fighters. Not nerfed most spells so hard. I fell like 5e pushes me to play as an evoker really hard. And wonder what Larian will gonna do with necromancer specialization on this 5e game. Because a single summon limit would kill the spec. No higher CR undead + no OHK spells are my biggest disappointment with the ruleset. And the animations are too slow to have a army of undead. So, maybe having an army of darkness that moves and attacks like an single unity is a good solution. But will a company who thinks that hp bloat is a good idea do that??

Druid wide shape was something that I was wondering what LArian will gonna do and honestly, I liked.

On reddit, there are dozens of more Larian cultists.

TBH the most triggering thing that I heard is that "dos2 is the modern baldur's gate", when dos2 has everything that I hate on modern games. And even some intelligent people like Shadiversity said it. I just don't get, both games are completely different. And the biggest problem of BG3 is the DOS2 similarities. But BG3 so far seems extremely better than DOS2.

Harthwain

Magister
And wonder what Larian will gonna do with necromancer specialization on this 5e game. Because a single summon limit would kill the spec. No higher CR undead + no OHK spells are my biggest disappointment with the ruleset.
Theoretically speaking a single summon limit could work, if it were possible to upgrade the spell in order to summon a stronger undead.

Gargaune

Magister
Well, somehow I managed to get a two weeks ban from the Larian forum.
Finally grew tired of getting whipped with their own toilet chain? Speaks volumes on the odds of getting shit fixed. Early Access titles should be fully refundable right up to point of Gold release.

Oh yeah, what's up with that fucking game getting the reputation of some modern classic... And then it turns out that it plays exactly like any other bland Ubisoft-like shitty open world?
Marketing, I guess. And the less used Logan's Run type of post-apocalyptic aesthetic. In any case, Decline is not the exclusive purview of CRPGs.

For being "too abrasive" or something, despise not really breaking any specific rule.
Larian's mods on their forum and on Steam have gotten really itchy trigger fingers.

You can get banned just for backtalking to BG3 fanatics after they have literally insulted you simply for posting legit criticism of the game.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Other feel like a martial should be only capable of what's possible in real life, and that anything else is "anime". And there are, of course, caster players who feel insulted at the very notion of someone other than them having options and utility.

A lv 20+ barbarian with high CON on 2e and 3.5e already can soak more damage than a small army of soldiers. What is the problem of making then supernatural in other aspects? Remember that we aren't talking about IRL medieval fighters. We are talking about high fantasy fighters in a so high fantasy world, that existed a civilization of archwizards on flying cities(Netheril) with magical spaceships(spelljammer). As for caster players, who are this caster players? I an probably the biggest magefag on Codex and like the idea of then having options and utility. And tiered progression to martial classes too.

5e D&D should have added more options to fighters. Not nerfed most spells so hard. I fell like 5e pushes me to play as an evoker really hard. And wonder what Larian will gonna do with necromancer specialization on this 5e game. Because a single summon limit would kill the spec. No higher CR undead + no OHK spells are my biggest disappointment with the ruleset. And the animations are too slow to have a army of undead. So, maybe having an army of darkness that moves and attacks like an single unity is a good solution. But will a company who thinks that hp bloat is a good idea do that??

Druid wide shape was something that I was wondering what LArian will gonna do and honestly, I liked.

On reddit, there are dozens of more Larian cultists.

TBH the most triggering thing that I heard is that "dos2 is the modern baldur's gate", when dos2 has everything that I hate on modern games. And even some intelligent people like Shadiversity said it. I just don't get, both games are completely different. And the biggest problem of BG3 is the DOS2 similarities. But BG3 so far seems extremely better than DOS2.
Disclaimer: The informal association of Barbarians do not necessarily agree with this caster nor do they endorse his opinions. Any opinions of this caster bearing resemblance to opinions purportedly held by barbarians is purely coincidental.

Oh yeah, what's up with that fucking game getting the reputation of some modern classic... And then it turns out that it plays exactly like any other bland Ubisoft-like shitty open world?
Pretty much the same feelings I have towards Witcher 3.
Well, sort of. But for all its shortcomings TW3 has plenty of other redeeming qualities that HZD completely lacks.

Finally grew tired of getting whipped with their own toilet chain? Speaks volumes on the odds of getting shit fixed.
Yeah, at this point is basically openly confirmed that this will never get fixed. The real issue is not even that "it's too much work" but that Larian doesn't think there's any problem to solve and we are just being particular about our very specific preferences.

Here's one of the last things I was discussing about just before the ban. It's from an email exchange between a forum user, Isaac Something, and Raze, one of the few (now vacant) forum mods to be also an actual Larian employee:

So, there's been this conversation (by email) between a user and a Larian employee circulating, but despise the fact both the participating parts gave their agreement to make it public, one mod keeps deleting it (without a single warning, too, which felt more than a little disrespectful on the work I put to comment it... But hey).

Still, since I can't quote it directly, in this second attempt I'm going to comment on the gist of it.

In chronological order of mention, what we learned from that conversation is the following:

- They never promised RTS-style controls and they shown the current control scheme before the EA started, so the fact that people may like them the most over the Larian solution is irrelevant. We knew what we were buying.
- Just because some people prefer RTS-like controls, it doesn't mean that everyone does. In fact a lot of people "probably" like the current system more and both system have advantages and disadvantages. Except, no evidence for the existence of this "lot of people" was ever shown, nor we ever got our chance to read what the advantages of the current system are supposed to be.
- ...In fact, when this lack of evidence was pointed in a subsequent reply, the rebuttal was that since no claim that the number was "significant" was ever made, evidence to back said claim was not required. I'm a bit at loss about the consistency here.
- Still, the game was tested by a bunch of random guys at PAX and no formal complaint about the controls was moved there, which seems like conclusive evidence that everything is fine. Not to mention DOS 2 won a lot of awards, which apparently strongly suggests its design was flawless from top to end and Larian can do no wrong. The fact that this control scheme was heavily criticized on DOS 2 as well is pointed, but completely glossed over.
- The "uniform agreement" on this forum about the system being bad is briefly acknowledged, but we are a vocal minority. And so are probably all the people on reddit, Steam, Youtube videos and comments and on any other gaming boards that share our opinion.
- Also, none of us gave our feedback after playing at PAX for fifteen minutes while being rushed by the next guy standing in queue, so what the hell do we know, really? We "don't represent the players in general". Whatever that means.

Basically, Larian never cared about what we thought of this aspect of the game, so no feedback about it was ever required or welcomed.
If we don't like it, too bad, we need to suck it down. They have no interest in making it better because they think it's perfectly fine as it is.

We never stood a chance, really.

I'd quote the actual thing rather than a paraphrased summary, but the original text happens to be in my own Private Messages folder in the official forum, which I can't access while banned.

Varnaan

Augur
Well, sort of. But for all its shortcomings TW3 has plenty of other redeeming qualities that HZD completely lacks.
It's a better game, mostly because of *some* of the writing, the world building and *some* of the systems.
But honestly Ubisoft could have made Witcher 3.
Most of the core systems of the game come straight from the latter Assassin's Creed and Far Cry games.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Please refrain from participating in other videogames communities. The last time I did that I had to argue for two entire days with a guy who kept telling me that Horizon Zero Dawn is a masterpiece with a deep and gripping story.

Reddit hype. I swear every time this happens it's because reddit have hyped a game.

And link to thread that got you banned?

Larian's mods on their forum and on Steam have gotten really itchy trigger fingers.

You can get banned just for backtalking to BG3 fanatics after they have literally insulted you simply for posting legit criticism of the game.
I agree, but the worst of it is that it's mostly THAT one mod. Everyone else on the mod team of the forum has a far more relaxed attitude.

Funny thing is, the guy is literally a no one who came out of nowhere and subscribed the forum 3 months before.
The admin (Vometia) grouped a bunch of us among some of the most active users to discuss how to sort better the "hottest topics" being discussed on the forum. Then one day she proposed to us "Anyone wants to give a try to moderating a forum section?" (because she's apparently quite busy with other stuff at the moment and clearly can't be bothered with it anymore) and he was the only one who stepped forward. No one else really cared.
And now he's on a complete power trip about being the man in control, who goes from thread to thread constantly asking people to "Tone it down OR ELSE" every time there's anything even remotely approaching an animated discussion. This despise the fact that the aforementioned admin when she made the original proposal was upfront about the fact that Larian has a very clear policy about bans being an absolute last resort.

And link to thread that got you banned?
I guess you could say this is the reply that got me banned:
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=762915#Post762915
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=762969#Post762969

But according to him it's really more of a case of "I don't like your tone in general" rather than a single infraction.

Last edited:

Varnaan

Augur
Keep insulting larian and I'll buy the codex from DU just to ban you fags.
I'm a Larian fanboy, I've bought every single one of their games since Divine Divinity (except Dragon Commander) and I think Larian needs some tough love.
I'm even ready to pay a crowbar visit to Sven if he fucks up BG3.

Codex Year of the Donut
Keep insulting larian and I'll buy the codex from DU just to ban you fags.
I'm a Larian fanboy and I've bought every single one of their games since Divine Divinity (except Dragon Commander) and I think Larian needs some tough love.
I'm even ready to pay a crowbar visit to Sven if he fucks up BG3.
You aren't even a member of the official codex larian fanclub.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Disclaimer: The informal association of Barbarians do not necessarily agree with this caster nor do they endorse his opinions. Any opinions of this caster bearing resemblance to opinions purportedly held by barbarians is purely coincidental.

Are barbarians organized enough to have an association?

Theoretically speaking a single summon limit could work, if it were possible to upgrade the spell in order to summon a stronger undead.

Like DDO Pale master? No thanks.

Gargaune

Magister
Yeah, at this point is basically openly confirmed that this will never get fixed. The real issue is not even that "it's too much work" but that Larian doesn't think there's any problem to solve and we are just being particular about our very specific preferences.

Here's one of the last things I was discussing about just before the ban. It's from an email exchange between a forum user, Isaac Something, and Raze, one of the few (now vacant) forum mods to be also an actual Larian employee:

I'd quote the actual thing rather than a paraphrased summary, but the original text happens to be in my own Private Messages folder in the official forum, which I can't access while banned.
This is irritating, particularly that it appears Larian just can't critically analyse their own design - adding "RTS" controls wouldn't require them to drop the Toilet Chain, you can have both per NWN2's example. We're talking about implementing a feature that requires minimal work and introduces no conflict with their existing schema. At least Obsidian didn't have the benefit of "Early Access" feedback for NWN2, and they still went out of their way to add Marquee selection after launch.

More and more I'm tempted to see if GOG might just refund me for store credit, could earmark it for Wrath of the Righteous. Slim odds, but the way this is going there's no chance BG3 will justify full price Early Access. It's a shame, 'cause there's good content in there that will be reduced to bargain bin value on account of pure, stupid obstinacy.

Well, if he thinks that's abrasive we now have confirmation that Larian don't read the Codex. Extra props to the guy asking "if you hate the game so much, WTF ARE YOU DOING HERE!"... in an Early Aceess feedback thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom