Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I just finished the first DLC and... wow, it's so fucking bad. The missions suck, 2/3 of the bosses are rehashes from the first game and suck, almost all the new enemies suck (that crab thing and the chunky meat blob? Come on...). I'd say that the only redeeming qualities are the new magic monkey, Minamoto no Yoshitsune, and the splitstaff. The area design is p. bad also in the base game, but here it becomes too insulting with these corridors that sometimes split in two very short alternatives that reconnect after 40 seconds. Wow, that was really bad.

This really pales in comparison to the first DLC of the first game.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I just finished the first DLC and... wow, it's so fucking bad. The missions suck, 2/3 of the bosses are rehashes from the first game and suck, almost all the new enemies suck (that crab thing and the chunky meat blob? Come on...). I'd say that the only redeeming qualities are the new magic monkey, Minamoto no Yoshitsune, and the splitstaff. The area design is p. bad also in the base game, but here it becomes too insulting with these corridors that sometimes split in two very short alternatives that reconnect after 40 seconds. Wow, that was really bad.

I like Nioh 2 a lot, but that's mainly because it's more of the same. However, being about 3/4 of the way through it now, I can firmly say that Nioh 1 is 100% better. Nioh 2 has a few more weapons that are fun, but apart from that, it can't compete when it comes to level design and boss design. There has been exactly 1 memorable level in Nioh 2 so far (and I'm sure you all can guess which one it is, as it's so beyond the rest in terms of quality, it stands out). All the other levels are just......burning/destroyed villages. One burning/destroyed village after another.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Enjoying spear btw. It's nice against hoomans, against big or flying yokai(at last i'm breaking weak points not accidentally), and against this stupid ubume.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

I like Nioh 2 a lot, but that's mainly because it's more of the same. However, being about 3/4 of the way through it now, I can firmly say that Nioh 1 is 100% better. Nioh 2 has a few more weapons that are fun, but apart from that, it can't compete when it comes to level design and boss design. There has been exactly 1 memorable level in Nioh 2 so far (and I'm sure you all can guess which one it is, as it's so beyond the rest in terms of quality, it stands out). All the other levels are just......burning/destroyed villages. One burning/destroyed village after another.
One big advantage of Nioh 2 is the increased enemy variety. The first game threw too many fucking yoki at you. Considering that, while better than what we got in the sequel, area design still wasn't the first game's selling point for me, I'm satisfied with how things turned out.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Phew, I'm finally done with the main part.
That's one damn long game. But every single main, side, twilight and online mission is completed.
I even had to master dual-swords to qualify for the "Master of the Three Evils".

The hardest enemy, or perhaps just my personal nemesis, turned out to be Saito fucking Toshimitsu.
Both his side missions, one is his human and one in his yokai forms, took me the most attempts.

Welp, onto the DLCs now. :salute:

cruel

Cipher
The hardest enemy, or perhaps just my personal nemesis, turned out to be Saito fucking Toshimitsu.
Both his side missions, one is his human and one in his yokai forms, took me the most attempts.

Posts like this make me realize one of the greatest strengths of the game: how everybody experience is different. So many people in this thread reference Saito as one of the hardest bosses for them, but I actually needed to go and check who was that guy, because I didn't even remember. It turns out he was a total pushover for me, beat him first time in both missions and barely remember the fight. At the same time, the freaking Yatsu No Kami took me more than 20 tries, and I only managed to beat him after switching my playstyle completely (Odachi high stance instead of Dual Swords).

In other words: if you complete the game with one type of weapon / armor / skills, you can be surprised how different it plays if you try a different one. Great replay value, just by giving you different things to try. Something I missed so much in Sekiro.

BTW, only after completely finishing the game I realized that you can Soul Match corrupted weapons with Soul Cores instead of other weapons :| Much cheaper that way.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
At the same time, the freaking Yatsu No Kami took me more than 20 tries
The pinocchio snek boy seems to be the biggest noobs-filter in this game.

It's impressive how much you can customize your character through stats, skills, items, and abilities, but, at least for the first two difficulties, the game doesn't seem able to keep up with you if you optimize everything around your playstyle. Even without doing anything crazy and just stacking various attack and melee damage bonuses on your weapons and armor set, you can melt down bosses in a matter of seconds. Maybe the difficulty will ramp up with NG++, but for the first two difficulties you have to avoid optimizing your gear if you want to have a fun challenging experience.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
At the same time, the freaking Yatsu No Kami took me more than 20 tries
The pinocchio snek boy seems to be the biggest noobs-filter in this game.

It's impressive how much you can customize your character through stats, skills, items, and abilities, but, at least for the first two difficulties, the game doesn't seem able to keep up with you if you optimize everything around your playstyle. Even without doing anything crazy and just stacking various attack and melee damage bonuses on your weapons and armor set, you can melt down bosses in a matter of seconds. Maybe the difficulty will ramp up with NG++, but for the first two difficulties you have to avoid optimizing your gear if you want to have a fun challenging experience.

Having just moved into DotD last night, I agree with this. I was pretty surprised at the lack of difficulty of the bosses in the second difficulty. Obviously it helped I could choose which ones to fight and which not, but everything I tried just melted. I was pretty underleveled for the final mission but Otakemaru went down first try without any problems. Going to farm some gear then try the DLC in NG+ to see if that's any harder.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I wonder why "Online missions" are called "online", you do not need to be connected online to play them. Is there any difference between an online mission or any other side mission?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
I wonder why "Online missions" are called "online", you do not need to be connected online to play them. Is there any difference between an online mission or any other side mission?
Those are just extra missions added after launch. They don't count toward the completion percentage of the game, and are probably called "online missions" only to differentiate them from the standard side missions. I remember reading online that it's just a translation issue, where "online" is supposed to just mean "downloaded from the internet", as in "not originally present in the game". But I don't speak ching chong chang, so I don't know if that's true.

Suicidal

Arcane

I just finished the main story of the game and I really can't agree with this.

Level design is almost the same in quality to Nioh 1 - there are some good levels, but mostly it's just war-torn villages, caves and castle interiors. Almost exactly like in the first game. In fact, Nioh 2 did improve one thing - the visual design of levels. In Nioh 1 the vast majority of levels took place either indoors or during the night, so everything looked black and brown. Now sometimes you actually get to see daytime, and there's a greater variety of colors and visuals overall. In my opinion, the nicest looking map in the game is the little spirit world location where you create your character and later revisit to talk with the people you killed. I wish the game had more places like this.

As for the bosses, I think the average quality of bosses in Nioh 2 is much higher than in 1. A lot of the bosses in 1 were forgettable, not only in terms of the fight mechanics but also visual design (a lot of human bosses that fight just like any other human, but have a few unique moves + guardian spirit phase). Many of the bosses that were fun were also too easy. The only bosses I remember that were fun but also challenging were the spear general and the guy who spammed aoe wind attacks close to the end game. Nioh 2 also didn't have many hard bosses, but the easier ones I feel were harder than the easy bosses in Nioh 1, and almost all of them were quite fun to fight.

I'm not including Nioh 1 DLCs in this comparison, which had some great bosses like Date and Sanada cause I've yet to play Nioh 2 DLCs so I'll see if my opinion changes after that.

Suicidal

Arcane
Also I see that the game is continuing its predecessor's tradition of adding CBT missions after you beat the main story. Been trying an optional mission where you're expected to fight a bunch of demon enemies and then Ryomen and Shibata one after the other with just 3 healing potions for an hour or so.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Seems major patches slowed down and now it's just minor stuff so time to jump into this.

Three missions in, it's just moar Nioh goodness, nothing less nothing more. Loving it so far.

But goddamn the new big yokai are rough. Can I have my cuddly One-Eye back please? At least I can still rape basic Yoki. But the other ones...bleh.

Also all that new stuff like cores, corruption, blessing, sentient weapons...is it something I don't have to worry about until NG+? It's kindda overwhelming. I'd have to spend half a day just to read and watch guides.

Jinn

Arcane
Also all that new stuff like cores, corruption, blessing, sentient weapons...is it something I don't have to worry about until NG+? It's kindda overwhelming. I'd have to spend half a day just to read and watch guides.

It's all very simple stuff. Just take it as it comes an you'll be fine.

Most of it is just new ways to get more damage or a few stat tweaks. None of it is "mandatory" until you get to around NG++++ where you need every bit of juice to fight back. I ignored most soulcores until Way of the Nioh since it just wasn't worth the effort to go out of my way to keep them updated.

Suicidal

Arcane
Seems major patches slowed down and now it's just minor stuff so time to jump into this.

Three missions in, it's just moar Nioh goodness, nothing less nothing more. Loving it so far.

But goddamn the new big yokai are rough. Can I have my cuddly One-Eye back please? At least I can still rape basic Yoki. But the other ones...bleh.

Cores are quite important, but I would recommend just equipping the ones with skills you like the most and not worrying about min maxing their stats. And corrupted weapons are just normal weapons that apply a stamina draining debuff and become supercharged every once in a while.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm getting cores from bosses, those are unique right? Should I read up on those so I don't waste them or are they just whatever?

cruel

Cipher
Some of the best Yokai skills come from boss soul cores, so it's definitely worth to keep and use them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Wunderbar

Arcane
Soul cores give you yokai abilities depending on which yokai you looted the core from, i.e. snake lady core gives you the ability to paralyze enemies, cyclops core gives you a powerful melee combo, etc. Find two cores you like and just replace them as you find higher leveled ones. Cores have stats and different ways to min-max them, but i don't think tinkering with it is all that useful on NG.

Corruption and purification are two new status effects, both make your enemy take more Ki damage.

Sentient weapons inflict corrupted/purified status effects, and they have a sentience bar. Once the bar is filled, your weapon will enter an awakened state and for a few seconds you'll be able to deal more damage.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Wow, that cow spider boss is a total bullshit. Spins like crazy, hinders your movement with its legs, damages you despite its hitbox not even connecting with yours.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Wow, that cow spider boss is a total bullshit. Spins like crazy, hinders your movement with its legs, damages you despite its hitbox not even connecting with yours.

Yeah, when you first see it, it gives you that cool feeling of "how tf do I even fight this".
But it has very clearly indicated weak spots.
Just go for it's back legs, it will try to stomp you, but that's easily avoidable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom