Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Caim

Arcane
So there's been a leak on what the new weapon and enemies are going to be.

The weapon is the Sentinel Hammer, pictured below. The enemies are:

- The Armored Baron, who is the blue guy below the Arachnotron. He's got a Blood Punch of his own.
- The Chaingunner, now with energy shield.
- The Stone Imp, aka the Simp. Very tough and fights up close.
- The Cursed Prowler, a souped-up Prowler.
- The Screecher, a zombie who buffs other demons when you kill it.

And the edgy Baymax looking dude? That's the Dark Lord in his armor.

Larger version of the picture in the tweet:

Ev5eIOdWYAIpQI_

Last edited:

ferratilis

Magister
Don't forget that Hugo Martin said in one of the interviews about Doom Eternal that "there’s a Saturday morning cartoon quality to the tone of everything,” with a straight face. At least he's true to his promise, as dumb as it is. We're talking about a guy who is inspired by stuff like He-Man, Michael Bay movies, he often reads reddit to check what the audience thinks about his games and takes "ideas" from reddit, he thinks Doom 64 is the best Doom game ever made. There are other things, but this is enough to make a mental picture of what we're dealing with here. Hugo would be a good guy to have a beer with and talk about movies and games, but letting someone like that direct a game, especially Doom, is asinine. Hence, we have fucking mecha robots and power rangers in Doom.

Dayyālu

Arcane
At least he's true to his promise, as dumb as it is.

I'll be blunt: if the other option was NuWolf with ghoulish Anne Frank in the zombie expansion and the dreadful New Colossus, it's better that we got a silly Doom.

Yes, there will always be the "Doom 1 was achsually a horror game you see!" crowd but, for a moment, let us think if a NuDoom of NuWolf characteristics would be a preferable option.

Eternal is a complete shitheap narratively, but it gives you interesting stuff to shoot at and interesting locales to shoot in. That's.... good enough. For now.

ekrolo2

Learned

I'll be blunt: if the other option was NuWolf with ghoulish Anne Frank in the zombie expansion and the dreadful New Colossus, it's better that we got a silly Doom.

Yes, there will always be the "Doom 1 was achsually a horror game you see!" crowd but, for a moment, let us think if a NuDoom of NuWolf characteristics would be a preferable option.

Eternal is a complete shitheap narratively, but it gives you interesting stuff to shoot at and interesting locales to shoot in. That's.... good enough. For now.
Exactly. I'd rather Doom try to be some Warhammer 40k knockoff then whatever the flying fuck Wolfenstein has turned into.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Don't forget that Hugo Martin said in one of the interviews about Doom Eternal that "there’s a Saturday morning cartoon quality to the tone of everything,” with a straight face. At least he's true to his promise, as dumb as it is. We're talking about a guy who is inspired by stuff like He-Man, Michael Bay movies, he often reads reddit to check what the audience thinks about his games and takes "ideas" from reddit, he thinks Doom 64 is the best Doom game ever made. There are other things, but this is enough to make a mental picture of what we're dealing with here. Hugo would be a good guy to have a beer with and talk about movies and games, but letting someone like that direct a game, especially Doom, is asinine. Hence, we have fucking mecha robots and power rangers in Doom.

I disagree, and this is related to Daniel Vavra as well, because Vavra too has some questionable tastes or opinions, but both he and Hugo Martin share one thing in common that in the current age of soy faggotry on one hand and corporate whoredome on the other is actually quite useful: they are both stubborn pig headed bastards.

And this works because even though many of their ideas are dubious in nature they are still going to go all the way with them with no compromises of any kind. Martin's vision of Doom may be completely bonkers but by God it's HIS vision and he'll see it through or perish in the attempt.

The result is a giant clusterfuck of mad rape that ends up being more of the sums of its parts. The parts may be retarded, but the whole just brute forces its way into your asshole until it becomes compelling by its sheer monstrousness.

We would all prefer a true modern sequel to classic Doom, but we all know that's never going to happen and this freakish nightmare of a game is at least a change of pace from the usual console popamole trash. Just the fact it makes modern journos cry in agony is something to behold.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Exactly. I'd rather Doom try to be some Warhammer 40k knockoff then whatever the flying fuck Wolfenstein has turned into.

This is the alternative:

No more needs to be said really.

Caim

Arcane
Eternal's narrative feels like there was a much larger story in place that was cut up for some reason and pasted together from the remains. I don't mean that parts were cut out for the DLC, just that entire chunks are missing.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As someone who didn't really enjoy Eternal more than 2016 (not a huge fan of the loot pinata dance), who thinks that the Marauder is just plain bad game design, hated all those fucking Super Mario parts in-between the action... should I even bother getting the DLCs?
Or will it just be more of the parts that I don't enjoy vs those that I did enjoy (more interesting weapon mods, better more vertical level design & combat)?

KVVRR

Learned
The DLC has more Marauders. Marauders everywhere.
the marauders are the easiest part of the DLC honestly. People were shitting themselves from the trailer when they showed two at the same time but they're the warmup for that room.

ekrolo2

Learned
Marauders are piss easy, they're THE most telegraphed enemy in the entire game. So long as you don't have the reflexes of a turtle dying of brain cancer, you can beat one just fine.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You can one shot the Marauders with the Unmakyr or whatever the fuck that thing its called.

This is not the point though since the Marauder is just another variable in the big arena clusterfuck. It's not about how he hard he is by himself it is the fact you have five dozen demons to watch out for and this thing can only be killed in a certain way and you have to do it while getting shot at from 25 different locations.

I said this already more than ones but this game feels like playing Quake 3 Arena with monsters instead of other players. In fact you have to bind weapons exactly like an arena shooter since you have to switch out between all of them constantly. Not as brainy as an arena shooter though since there's no map control but still.

Once you accept what it is i don't have a problem with the gameplay, but the retarded shit like collectible dolls, shit writing, fourth wall braking arcade shit still bothers me. Imagine something like Duke 3D with the same gameplay and same level design but with obnoxious try hard modern "humor". It would still be a good game but you wouldn't call it great. I'm in the same place with this thing.

HansDampf

Arcane
The annoying thing about the Marauder is when he doesn't want to attack and dances around instead, or he gets hit by some random projectile and spawns his shitty dog, wasting time. Just attack already!

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Tonally, I think Doom 2016 was perfect. It had the perfect mixture of seriousness and cheese but I like Eternal too. There was always plenty of cheese in Doom, Eternal just doubles down on it.

The reason I like it is because I think each Doom "generation" should emphasize different aspects of the original games, which are the baseline comparison units. It's just like how Doom 3 took the serious and frightening aspects of the franchise. I kinda have a soft spot for it. Doom 64 was kinda similar to Doom 3 but took in a more abstract, existential angle whereas Doom 3 was more hard sci fi. After the current Doom "generation" is over I hope they will put it to rest and reinvent the formula yet again. Maybe they could make the level design truly abstract. Kind of like a modernization of the abstract, nonsensical but definitely interesing Doom 2. I'm sure that would be very difficult due to how poorly defined Doom 2 is. Of course, nothing will ever replace Classic Doom but I really like all of them.

Eternal has the same energy as these guys and I like it.

tumblr_inline_nmygrxEVCu1r2xhmf_540.jpg

Last edited:

KateMicucci

Arcane
Marauders are piss easy, they're THE most telegraphed enemy in the entire game. So long as you don't have the reflexes of a turtle dying of brain cancer, you can beat one just fine.
Beating them is not the issue. I want to kill fast and bullets are too slow. Maruader forces you to dance around with your gun up your ass waiting for him to drop his shield. I usually shoot rockets and nades at them now, which takes longer but at least I don't have to put up with the indignity of playing their peekaboo game.

Ash

Arcane
God forbid a modern game dare force a real challenge upon you. I'm surprised the game didn't have a popamole stealth option so players can "play their way". also surprised by the lack of crying about the lack of a quicksave option ITT.

Do NOT buy the DLC if this is you. It is more restrictive than the base game in the interest of tight challenge. Git gud or go play your mindless walking sims.

...Please buy the DLC. Support good vidja content. Just play on easy then the rules need not apply to you!

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Git gud or go play your mindless walking sims.
How is it that whenever someone mentions that Marauders are shit, some goddamn morons have the urge to point out that you just suck and they are easy?

As if that was ever the problem for anyone. They are easy once you know how to deal with them - and who doesn't after an encounter or two? Hell, doesn't the game just straight up tell you how to deal with them? :lol:
Two of them also wouldn't be that much of a problem.

Their gigantic issue is how interruptive they are to the gameplay. While you run and jump and gun your way through the game in a tightly focused tunnelview frenzy otherwise (which is the great fun of the game), as soon as these MFs show up, the game becomes about them (thus killing the most fun part of the game).
First in dancing around them as you eliminate everything else and then in playing a fucking QTE when they go "hit me now!". Ugh.

It's like getting cock-blocked several times in the act. Who finds that fun?
It's just a nuisance - which both the designers and some players seem to misunderstand as "difficulty" and seriously put even more of them in the DLC?
Wow, alright... definitely not for me then :lol:

Last edited:

OctavianRomulus

Learned
They're only hard when they are accompanied by other monsters, which is how Doom monsters should work in the first place. The Archvile wasn't that tough on its own in Doom 2.

Ash

Arcane
First in dancing around them as you eliminate everything else

This is bad why? though it isn't mandatory. If you're good you can have them dead while many enemies remain.

First in dancing around them as you eliminate everything else and then in playing a fucking QTE when they go "hit me now!". Ugh.

Boiling down 1v1 combat with them to a binary quick time event is beyond disingenuous. though like the poster above me said, their significance/importance is more relevant when other demons are around. "Dancing around them" is the point, and it is supposed to be fun. Many of us find it thrilling.

It's just a nuisance - which both the designers and some players seem to misunderstand as "difficulty" and seriously put even more of them in the DLC?

difficulty can easily be misconstrued as "a nuisance". the key difference must be that we value difficulty and you do not. Consider them mini-bosses, of course they should demand your attention like no standard demon does.

as soon as these MFs show up, the game becomes about them (thus killing the most fun part of the game).

The game IS mostly about the demons, each with their strengths and weaknesses. do you play on low difficulties? Might explain the misunderstanding here because on UV/Nightmare the game always demands you be on your toes, prioritize certain targets (e.g pain elementals need to be stopped else endless lost souls), dodge attacks, learn the AI behaviour, keep moving, look for weaknesses etc. The Marauder is the same just essentially in mini-boss form. We not allowed mini-bosses anymore now too? Why aren't you complaining about the main bosses? they have slightly different rules and pacing too. Some people are such goddamn crybabies. God forbid a game change up any kind of pacing or introduce any kind of demanding challenge. Water levels/segments? Removed from games. Difficult puzzles? Removed. Consequences for failure? We're cancelling that. Having to navigate game worlds? lol I hate backtrackiiing I want a straight line shooting gallery (objective markers and streamlined level design).

Their gigantic issue is how interruptive they are to the gameplay.

their gigantic incline is how bolstering they are to the gameplay. If instead of the shield they just had a larger health pool of somewhat equivalent defense the same retards would whine that they are "bullet sponges that break the pacing of the game" too, and complain about how unrealistic it is that they have that much health.
...I still wish there was some higher tier enemy of that calibre in the game (fast, high HP, marauder miniboss-tier threat WITHOUT a shield) because it will make for a different kind of frantic battle and variety is good. Eternal Archviles are kind of meh as a lesser high tier enemy, and inferior to D2 Archvile. cyberdemons OK but essentially slowly moving turrets. Not that impressive. something notable about the DLC is it makes good use of them for once with asshole enemy placement. Marauders though, nothing wrong with them.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom