Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I said I was talking about early "Blizzard". Diablo 2 isn't early Blizzard unless you're a newfag.

I don't give a shit what your headcanon considers "early Blizzard", Diablo II was released in 2000 and that's only 6 years after Blizzard becomes a thing.

So, for anyone not on the spectrum, that's early Blizzard because that literally falls within their early years as a game developer.

If you wanted to argue about definitions that originate in your own headspace, do so in front of a mirror.

Gotta quote this one, lmao.

I wondered when the biggest attention whore on the entire forum would show up.

To the other retards - haven't you figured out yet that you should ignore him? He clearly craves attention.

Ironic.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Didn't they also mention that sound effects are getting a rework?

There is a bunch of improvements.

Some stuff I really like:
- 25 FPS under the hood, 60+ visible FPS
- shared stash
- zoomable camera
- original pathing grid
- auto gold pickup
- quick keys to move stuff to/from your stash
- item comparison tooltip
- remastered cinematics
- "70/30" approach for level art
- visible 3D model for every item including uniques/sets
- remastered audio
- act-specific character selection screen
- improved security versus botting, duping and maphacks
- global gateway
- characters don't expire
- duplicate character names allowed

Honestly it feels like SCR which was an excellent remaster.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

- original pathing grid

The original pathing grid is an improvement over the original?

Most of the other stuff in the list are not improvements, just differences. Some are convenience/casualization.

The real way to improve Diablo 2 is to mod it, to change its skilltrees, encounter design, level layout, itemization etc. Because it's got some big issues. That's why Median XL exists.

I'll commentate on this only because it suits my agenda, helps my blog gain more traction.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

- original pathing grid

The original pathing grid is an improvement over the original?

Most of the other stuff in the list are not improvements, just differences. Some are convenience/casualization.

The real way to improve Diablo 2 is to mod it, to change its skilltrees, encounter design, level layout, itemization etc. Because it's got some big issues. That's why Median XL exists.

I'll commentate on this only because it suits my agenda, helps my blog gain more traction.

Both works.

Perkel

Arcane
Dude playing 3 years with puty trying to find every item in the game. It is older video, right now he needs only to find one last item.

No. Median XL and recent one Sigma is trash. Always was. But it is the same engine with slight modifications under the hood so people who like such trash can sleep sound as median, pd2, pod and other mods will surely come out on d2r

Gregz

Arcane
Dude playing 3 years with puty trying to find every item in the game. It is older video, right now he needs only to find one last item.

No. Median XL and recent one Sigma is trash. Always was. But it is the same engine with slight modifications under the hood so people who like such trash can sleep sound as median, pd2, pod and other mods will surely come out on d2r

Bullshit, Median XL is probably the best mod ever made.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
No. Median XL and recent one Sigma is trash. Always was.

The earlier MXL versions were good, which are the ones I play. But I never said MXL successfully addressed all of Diablo 2's issues. I only said that the reason MXL exists is because Diablo 2 has some big issues.

Also not sure why you'd be impressed by someone who farms for every item; going so far as to even spam their retarded vids: most items are shit, and no one of insight into the game cares.

The elite players either LLD or drop D2 and play MXL, which is far superior as it pertains to combat, itemization, builds and mechanics.

MXL is x100 monocled that vanilla D2; requires much more skill and thought, not farming that stems from knowledge gained by extracting and viewing txts in a spreadsheet.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Criticizing Blizzard's art design is very relevant.

Blizzard used to be a rounded company. In the 90s and 00s every element of their games were top notch. Music, graphics, gameplay, feature innovation, voice acting, writing, netcode, etc.

If their art design is this fucked up it indicates a very real decline of the company. Diablo III made that obvious; but clearly the trend is getting worse.

Easy there. I agree on everything except writing, which was professional but banal/shit/boring to a big degree.

I'm replaying Diablo 2 right now and the dialog of the NPCs is painful to listen to. Not that it matters since you are supposed to skip all of it but since i haven't played the game in years i decided to read everything, refresh all the gossips etc and its mind numbing inducing.

Everything else is good. Music was better in the first one but its still good. Presentation is top notch. The art is fantastic i think the icon and item design is the best ever made in an RPG. The art is a big factor in the pleasure of item hunting since everything looks so fucking good. My zeal pally with holy shield is the single best looking knight in shining armor i've ever played in an RPG.

Gameplay is WAY easier than i remembered though. Guess i'm just better at figuring out the mechanics than i used to be then.

I'm also taking a good look at the nigger Paladin (lmao) and it's true, he isn't actually supposed to be black, but something like a Dravidian. The Paladins are from the some kind of Vedic style culture. Doesn't make sense that he has such a medieval European art style, with the big plate armor and the crosses, but that's wokeness for you (they should have just used Hindu art instead, all the more since Hindu weapons and armors look rad as shit).

Because yes, the original Diablo 2 had it, not so much in the black Paladin but in that more than half of masculine roles for NPCs are fulfilled by women. The rogues in the first act with the female blacksmith, the Paladin blacksmith in the second act, the mercenary and mage hunter whatever the fuck in the third act. Wombyn warrior, strong wombyn, proud wombyn. They plastered that shit everywhere.

Honestly tranny Amazon is just a natural evolution of that shit. Nobody called it out then, so now we have to deal with this new woke shit today.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
Because yes, the original Diablo 2 had it, not so much in the black Paladin but in that more than half of masculine roles for NPCs are fulfilled by women. The rogues in the first act with the female blacksmith, the Paladin blacksmith in the second act, the mercenary and mage hunter whatever the fuck in the third act. Wombyn warrior, strong wombyn, proud wombyn. They plastered that shit everywhere.

Honestly tranny Amazon is just a natural evolution of that shit. Nobody called it out then, so now we have to deal with this new woke shit today.
I blame the Greeks and their woke stories about the Amazons. This is when the true decline started.

Harthwain

Magister
I blame the Greeks for inventing faggotry.
*cough*:

HERMAPHRODITOS (Hermaphroditus) was the god of hermaphrodites and of effeminates. He was numbered amongst the winged love-gods known as Erotes.
Hermaphroditos was a son of Hermes and Aphrodite, the gods of male and female sexuality.

According to some he was once a handsome youth who attracted the love of a Naiad nymphe Salmakis (Salmacis). She prayed to to be united with him forever and the gods, answering her prayer, merged their two forms into one. At the same time her spring acquired the property of making men who bathed in its waters soft and effeminate.

Hermaphroditos was depicted as a winged youth with both male and female features--usually female thighs, breasts, and style of hair, and male genitalia.

m_s0

Arcane
So... I'm guessing they lost the source code, right?

All they had to do was to slap together a source port and spend all those years not on matching a new 3D game to the feel of a 20-year-old 2D game, but on re-drawing the sprites and iterating until everything feels right in hi-def 2D. It would've been cheaper, faster, and would've yielded a better result.

Better yet, release the source code and just give D2 to the fanbase. They'd do a better job in a matter of weeks. Added bonus of much-needed good press.

Fuck this industry.
EwTzViQ.png

I stand corrected, then. If they really have that code that is good news. The 3D still lacks character and reeks of cheap, outsourced labor, though.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Seems devs also agree that Amazon might need some changes:
Found this on r/Diablo Blizzard Community Manager - PezRadar: Hi all! The team has most definitely been seeing the feedback over the last day regarding some of the looks on the character models. There may be some changes in the future so we appreciate all the feedback on this. In the end, the game is a lot of ways your game and not just ours so we want to make sure we do get it right
slight_smile.png
Didn’t see this posted or easily found in another thread on the D2:R boards so decided to pas…

Probably a backlash of the "no changes" crowd in WoW Classic, whose mooing and reeeing prevented them from changing things that made absolute sense - like how spells were processed being designed around slow as molasses Internet connections.
The point of classic was literally No Changes. If you want changes (that gradually ruined the game more and more) there's live, simple as. If you're talking about spell batching, it was integral to how the game played, and the synergy of spells/talents. Did you already forget that many rogue important skills were broken for several years? What came after vanilla was iterations by a bunch of people who didn't understand the game, and they just kept dumbing every aspect down, without fail.

Seems they made Tal Rashas tomb brighter, for whatever reason:
junszr0h1sl61.jpg

58k28n1j1sl61.jpg

Testownia

Probably a backlash of the "no changes" crowd in WoW Classic, whose mooing and reeeing prevented them from changing things that made absolute sense - like how spells were processed being designed around slow as molasses Internet connections.
The point of classic was literally No Changes. If you want changes (that gradually ruined the game more and more) there's live, simple as. If you're talking about spell batching, it was integral to how the game played, and the synergy of spells/talents. Did you already forget that many rogue important skills were broken for several years? What came after vanilla was iterations by a bunch of people who didn't understand the game, and they just kept dumbing every aspect down, without fail.

Seems they made Tal Rashas tomb brighter, for whatever reason:
junszr0h1sl61.jpg

58k28n1j1sl61.jpg

You're talking about mechanics designed around much slower Internet speeds, which simply don't function as intended in the current day. Even private servers took that into account. It's like reeeing about putting widescreen support into a game that had none before, simply because "it wasn't designed that way."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom