Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Exapunks

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
So, I'm late to this party as the game was released in 2019, but I've been playing it for two days now and having a blast so what the hell. Exapunks is a puzzle / visual novel mix where the main game mechanic is basically pseudo assembler programming. The game is set in 1997, you are an (ex)hacker who has contacted a deadly illness: The Phage. Your only hope is an experimental drug which cost 700$ a dose. So, you make a deal with a mysterious AI: One hack, one dose. The game is very minimalistic. You pick the a mission from the main screen which looks like this:
8Lt7VaE

twcxczF.png

And solve the hacking puzzles in a dedicated screen which looks like this:
8Lt7VaE.png

8Lt7VaE

Here we are hacking a road sign to display subversive messages. Obviously, the game is very niche, but I'd strongly recommend it to anyone with a fondness for low level programming. If you have never programmed anything in your life, you'll probably struggle quite a bit as there is very little hand holding in the game. So, who else has tried the game and how did you like it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously, the game is very niche, but I'd strongly recommend it to anyone with a fondness for low level programming.

Anyone got recommendations for programming-like puzzles that are NOT about low-level imperative programming?

while True: learn() would be an example, but that one feels unpolished compared to Zachtronics titles.

HansDampf

Arcane
Neat game but I got bored after a few levels. TIS-100 and Shenzhen I/O are both better, imo.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Obviously, the game is very niche, but I'd strongly recommend it to anyone with a fondness for low level programming.

Anyone got recommendations for programming-like puzzles that are NOT about low-level imperative programming?

while True: learn() would be an example, but that one feels unpolished compared to Zachtronics titles.
Sadly, I don't know any. I think Exapunks uses pseudoassembler to limit the possible actions of the players. A high level language is much more powerful which makes designing a game around it much harder. Maybe some functional language could work, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom