Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Remnants of the Precursors - Merry Christmas, bitches

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I always felt they were way underpowered compared to everyone else. The flat bonus to beam attack or whatever it is they had seemed like it would never pay off in the long run, and Mrrshan AIs always seemed to end up lagging behind. So coming up with a game mechanic where they dominate more like the Darloks seems like a good idea to me.

Also I really like cats.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
The mechanic was actually one of many race mechanic ideas a reddit poster made many months ago. I read through them all and then saw the Mrrshan mechanic and thought, "a ha! That one is brilliant!"

Basically, the Mrrshan will have a feature that allows them to collect BC from their defeated enemy ships as if they had scrapped them. This would mean that the most logical game strategy for the Mrrshan would be to constantly build overpowering fleets and attack all of the time, which would feed their treasury and allow them to build more ships. The whole concept feels brilliant because it creates a completely new way to play a 30-year-old game while simultaneously being a perfect fit with the raider/pirate lore that Jeff Colucci (the writer for ROTP) came up with for them.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Will the new races in ROTP 2 be implementing the MOO2 races such as the Elerians or will they be originals?

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Will the new races in ROTP 2 be implementing the MOO2 races such as the Elerians or will they be originals?

Three of the 5 new races in ROTP2 will be the MOO2 races, although the specifics of their racial abilities will obviously be different.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I really like the game, diplomacy feels great and planet development is satisfying and not a chore. The battle system is great too but i noticed a big problem. My huge ships are absolutely wrecking everything and the AI isn't building any.
remnants.jpg
The pink guy is the second strongest empire after me and he's not using any huge ships. I'm playing on normal difficulty and will try on hard next time.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
I really like the game, diplomacy feels great and planet development is satisfying and not a chore. The battle system is great too but i noticed a big problem. My huge ships are absolutely wrecking everything and the AI isn't building any.
The pink guy is the second strongest empire after me and he's not using any huge ships. I'm playing on normal difficulty and will try on hard next time

You can email a save to me at rayfowler@fastmail.com and I'll take a look at it. Analyzing saves that have bad AI behavior in them are the best way for me to fix that behavior.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
The pink guy is the second strongest empire after me and he's not using any huge ships. I'm playing on normal difficulty and will try on hard next time

You can email a save to me at rayfowler@fastmail.com and I'll take a look at it. Analyzing saves that have bad AI behavior in them are the best way for me to fix that behavior.
I am playing on hard now, it's lategame and I still have never seen the AI build huge ships. It feels like i'm getting a lot more firepower for my production then the AI.
Here's the save.
https://uploadfiles.net/4ns/Klackon_-_Small_-_Hard.rotp

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
This reminded me of another 'bug' where I was elected council leader and after I refused the whole galaxy started the final war against me. "You dare rebel against the council" Is that supposed to work this way?

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
This reminded me of another 'bug' where I was elected council leader and after I refused the whole galaxy started the final war against me. "You dare rebel against the council" Is that supposed to work this way?

Yes. Note the variable name in this code snippet from GalacticCouncil.java:

Code:
        boolean electedLeaderIsCrazy = rebels.contains(leader);
        if (electedLeaderIsCrazy) {
            Empire crazyEmpire = leader;
            if (crazyEmpire == candidate1)
                leader = candidate2;
            else
                leader = candidate1;
            allies.addAll(rebels);
            allies.remove(crazyEmpire);
            rebels.clear();
            rebels.add(crazyEmpire);
        }

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
This leader is indeed crazy, I wanted to wipe them all out one by one but they were on to me...

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
I am playing on hard now, it's lategame and I still have never seen the AI build huge ships. It feels like i'm getting a lot more firepower for my production then the AI.
Here's the save.

Just wanted you to know that I looked at the save and even discussed this with the guy from Wargaming who rewrote the ship design code and it seems to be working as intended..

In that save, there are only two empires that really have the production capacity to make huge ships: you (Klackon) and the Alkari. The Alkari are nevertheless well behind you in production capacity and have a racial tendency towards smaller ships, anyway. And they have a ton of medium ships so they are definitely maintaining a significant fleet.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Here's the save.

Just wanted you to know that I looked at the save and even discussed this with the guy from Wargaming who rewrote the ship design code and it seems to be working as intended..

In that save, there are only two empires that really have the production capacity to make huge ships: you (Klackon) and the Alkari. The Alkari are nevertheless well behind you in production capacity and have a racial tendency towards smaller ships, anyway. And they have a ton of medium ships so they are definitely maintaining a significant fleet.
Alright, thanks for getting back to me. I'll experiment more with this

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
version 2.17 is now out.

The key upgrade in this version is there are now 3 selectable AIs to play against: the base AI plus two tougher AIs made by modders.

"Modnar" has made a tougher AI that remains immersive in gameplay while "Xilmi" (better known as AIL of Pandora fame) has made a tough AI that ignores personality and plays to win.

There are other improvements as well. Patch notes here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/rotp/comments/mdwtcv/beta_217_is_here_with_significant_ai_improvements/

Luka-boy

Arcane
From the patch notes:
There is now an Advanced Option to have the game "autoplayed" for you by the AI of your choice. This is not really intended for play, but it's a good way to see how the AI does things or to just randomly simulate a game without doing anything except hitting Next Turn repeatedly. Think of it as a modernization of MOO3.
Savage :lol:

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
AI playing each other is pretty fricking old school. That used to be a feature of a lot of old games.

Hopefully this game has detailed stats and summaries at the end, possibly with a civ-style map history.

Naraya

Arcane
From the patch notes:
There is now an Advanced Option to have the game "autoplayed" for you by the AI of your choice. This is not really intended for play, but it's a good way to see how the AI does things or to just randomly simulate a game without doing anything except hitting Next Turn repeatedly. Think of it as a modernization of MOO3.
Savage :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom