Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why the hell aren't there more "space opera" / futuristic CRPGs?

Codex Year of the Donut
Oh wow, completely went under my radar. Mongoose publishing quietly confirmed a Traveller cRPG earlier this year

http://forum.mongoosepublishing.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=122445
Traveller Video Games
This is something else that we have been pushing for over the past few years… and now it is starting to happen!

Development has started on two Traveller video games, with our friends at Evil Twin Artworks (responsible for the Victory at Sea video games). The first will focus on boarding actions during the Fifth Frontier War, while the second is more RPG-centric, focussing centre on a group of Travellers in a beat-up ship trying to make their way in the universe – the classic Traveller campaign!

Expect to see previews and updates on these two throughout 2020.
s420.gif

Anyone have any extra information on this? Possibly they meant it's going to be an adaptation of The Traveller Adventure?
126508.jpg

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
Someone remixed the Dune trailer with Radiohead's Pyramid Song a while back, to good effect:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Try Starflight 1 and 2. Best space opera CPRGs I've played.
Countdown to Doomday is also good, if you like the old pulp model of the Solar System, and tactical combat.

After these two oldies there's pretty slim pickings.

Albion, but yeah, very under utilized. Are Starflight 1 and 2 crpgs? Chargen? Not ridiculously lite chardev? What other rpg elements? I saw they had a kickstarter for 3 the other day, but before that I never heard of these games.

Edit - besides the obvious Wiz7 and 8, or prior early rpgs were 99% fantasy with some weird sci-fi shit thrown in. Then the two Ultima spin-offs too, for some sort of weird sci-fi-ish something.
Albion - exactly! Would be great to have more of that.

Codex Year of the Donut
Oh wow, completely went under my radar. Mongoose publishing quietly confirmed a Traveller cRPG earlier this year

http://forum.mongoosepublishing.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=122445
Traveller Video Games
This is something else that we have been pushing for over the past few years… and now it is starting to happen!

Development has started on two Traveller video games, with our friends at Evil Twin Artworks (responsible for the Victory at Sea video games). The first will focus on boarding actions during the Fifth Frontier War, while the second is more RPG-centric, focussing centre on a group of Travellers in a beat-up ship trying to make their way in the universe – the classic Traveller campaign!

Expect to see previews and updates on these two throughout 2020.
s420.gif

Anyone have any extra information on this? Possibly they meant it's going to be an adaptation of The Traveller Adventure?
126508.jpg
http://forum.mongoosepublishing.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=122798
Traveller Video Games
Update from the last State of the Mongoose.. still in development!

Our friends at Evil Twin Artworks (responsible for the Victory at Sea video games - including the about-to-appear Victory at Sea: Ironclad) are currently working on not one but two Traveller video games. The first (currently titled Traveller: Vanguard) will focus on boarding actions during the Fifth Frontier War, while the second is more RPG-centric, focussing on a group of Travellers in a beat-up ship trying to make their way in the universe – the classic Traveller campaign!

Infinitron what do you know about Evil Twin Artworks?

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Nah, don't mind me. I'm just angry with E.A. in general and this is one of the really poor cases. There's probably no need to get angry. And in any case Encased does look good, and there is still quite a sound chance it will be released.

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Are you sure? Nu-S. Trek went out of its way to rape the corpse of the original and mutilate it. I doubt the original writers were thinking about "modern year" when doing the show. I admit it was idealistic to hell and back, but compared to trashfire like this...
Yes, I am very sure, and they did not rape any corpses, they followed through on the original idea. Same as America of today is the same thing as was planted during the founding. Would the originators like what they see if here today? Probably not, but this is what they seeded.

Eh, I don’t know if I agree with this. Nu-Trek doesn’t “follow through” on the original ideals, it completely ignores them and I often doubt if the current writers even know what the original ideals were. Original Trek was an idealistic version of humanity who had solved their issues. It imagined the future of scientific progress as we understood it and some of its best episodes were characters sitting in a room debating philosophical and moral issues of their mission.

Nu-Trek is a dark, violent action movie where the federation is heavy-handed leftist commentary of current-year America and isn’t the slightest bit concerned with science or philosophy. That‘s not Star Trek and it’s certainly not Roddenberry’s vision. It’s not a natural “growth” of that vision as much as it is a complete refutation.

I hate to break it to you guys but Star Trek was always a Jewish subversion. There is no such thing as Nu-Trek, this is the natural progression of Star Trek. It was always "woke" if you want to call it that.

It's partly true that Star Trek was an earlier phase of subversion, but it wouldn't be fair to call it "woke" in the modern sense, whereas TNG and nuTrek really are. TOS, appearing at the end of a time when Whites were still in charge of their own country for the most part, had to appeal to manly Aryan virtues and the Faustian spirit. So you have a buttgoy nominally in charge, but Jewish producers being the real powers behind the throne, a mixed bag of Jewish and goy writers, a Jew acting as a manly Aryan, and another Jew acting as an alien, all promoting the earlier phase of subversion of, "lets all get along, be color blind and accepting of others, even if they seem strange." (Who might those "others" be? 'tis a mystery ... ) TOS was part of an earlier shapeshifting phase of, "our God is your God, but He has chosen us."

But also, to be scrupulously fair to Jews, there was a period when a young generation of Jews, children of the Russian and Eastern European immigrants of the early 20th century, did actually like and appreciate the freedoms the US had given them, and did have an admiration for the Faustian spirit (although to them it was a bit like being entertained by a tribe of children playing cute games). The earlier s-f, comics, etc., were part of that - representing some degree of wistful admiration for a science-based, freedom-loving society (wistful because a people that's hard-headed and focused on winning at all costs can't afford such luxuries). And TOS is really at the very tail-end of that.

TNG was at the beginning of a newer, more triumphalist phase of ((liberalism))), which transitions through woke proper and culminates in the beginnings of the desperate, violent phase represented by nuTrek, which we're easing into now culturally.

Also note the general decline in the quality of Product: from stories that worked as subversion precisely because they were actually pretty cool and well written (early to mid-20th century stuff), to stories that are more and more incoherent and babbling, and are increasingly being rejected as hypnotism by their intended patients, which leads to more incoherence and desperate babbling.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
Brief update about any new space opera or science fiction CRPGs. You would think with Dune, Foundation, The Mandalorian, etc, there would be more.

I'm really impressed by this upcoming game mentioned in Codex Workshop, so thought I would add it to my most cherished 'space opera RPG' thread:

Hibernaculum

First person grid based dungeon crawler (my favorite sub-genre of Western RPG), with a space opera setting. A sci-fi fan couldn't wish for more.

uitest1c-png.22481

kgkfgkf-gif.22483

I wish there was some news on Archetype Entertainment's new science fiction RPG from Mass Effect's writer, I will revive the thread when there is.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader | by Owlcat Games

G1VXcLy.jpg

I haven't updated this thread in a while with any new news. Since last time, there has been the announcement of 'Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader', plus a year of updates, which can be found in that game's thread. No new updates on Archetype Entertainment's game, staffed by ex-BioWare people like Drew Karpyshin, published by Wizards of the Coast. No news on Mongoose Publishing's 'Traveller' video game, mentioned by Rusty above either. For now, the future of the space opera RPG, is in Owlcat's court.

1NXYH90.png

6tjdhSW.png

'Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader' Features:
  • Turn-based Warhammer 40,000 CRPG with space exploration onboard your Rogue Trader's private starship
  • Crew of several companions, including a Tech Priest, Space Wolf, Navigator, Battle Sister, and Eldar Ranger

SpaceBourne 2 | by Burak Dabak

w6zcstI.png

EDIT: There has laso been some developments in space sim RPG hybrids. Bethesda has of course created 'Starfield', ostensibly Skyrim in space, but actually a vile work of propaganda. Meanwhile lone Turkish developer created 'SpaceBourne 2', which has RPG elements like character creation and classes. A far more impressive feat, especially from one guy:

pRRZbiE.jpg

X5e9Vta.png

'SpaceBourne 2' Features:
  • Third person RPG space sim hybrid, in the same vein as Elite: Dangerous, Star Citizen, No Man's Sky, Empyrion: Galactic Survival, etc
  • Tens of thousands of solar systems to explore, massive planetary surfaces, caves, cities, villages, and unique climates

Last edited:

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom