Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I only play with companions. Also only with kind of gimped homebrew builds usually

Same as me, I only use companions and sidekicks. One things that annoys me though is the limited multiclassing options on them, I've pretty much tried them all already.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've done two playthroughs of this on rtwp, thinking of doing one more but playing through it completely turn-based.
Any suggestions for a class to play that is fun/good in turn-based combat? Also any new archetypes that were added in this game, since I've only played imported characters from poe so far.

Assassin / Bloodmage. Human, with Deltro's Cage Helmet for up to +130% damage shocking lash on your spells, max Con. Shadowing Beyond free action stealth. Million of Free action buffs AND Free Action Blood Sacrifice to recover all slots. And Devil of Caroc Breastplate for extra stealth uses for those sweet aoe Assassination spells with +25 Accuracy, +4 Pen, +50% Crit damage. Ningauth's Grimoire primary - Shadowflame is very good, but maybe Death Ray even better in Turn Based.
Death Ray is definitely better in turn based. Using it is extremely satisfying.

YES! And depending on positioning (sight cones?), the first tick may even not reveal you!

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
You niggas don't know how to play this game:

1) Remove lvl cap.
2) Add 6th Party member like all non-PS4 RPGs have.
3) Add all challenges except the time limit one. It makes the most sense plot wise but the plot is shit anyway.
4) Play PotD.
5) Create a party of multi-class mercenaries. Added bonus if you chose a theme! Bleak Walkers/X was fun.
6) ???
7) Profit!

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I only play with companions. Also only with kind of gimped homebrew builds usually

Same as me, I only use companions and sidekicks. One things that annoys me though is the limited multiclassing options on them, I've pretty much tried them all already.

Yeah it sucks. I wish something like Level1NPC existed for the PoEs.

But the multiclass is easily modded in the files. I strongly suggest you do this, actually.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

But the multiclass is easily modded in the files. I strongly suggest you do this, actually.

For realskies? I did not know this :(

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Yeah, its super easy. I believe there are mods already for this in Nexus, but if there are not, I can help you with this, if you need. If I remember correctly its just a simple edit in a txt file.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Yeah, its super easy. I believe there are mods already for this in Nexus, but if there are not, I can help you with this, if you need. If I remember correctly its just a simple edit in a txt file.

I just finished a major playthrough, doubt I'm gonna play it again anytime soon. Verdammt. But thanks for the info!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
What about some of the best itemization ever made for crpgs? Quirky, overpowered item/class combos? Best graphics in quasi-isometric crpgs?
Great central city - hub.

Last edited:

BarbequeMasta

Learned
the systems were fine, but when your encounter design is dogshit and the game is piss easy even on the highest difficulty then the game is gonna suck no matter what mechanics it has.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
What about some of the best itemization ever made for crpgs? Quirky, overpowered item/class combos? Best graphics in quasi-isometric crpgs?

No proper turn based mode = trash

It was a missed opportunity, yes. I cannot understand why the devs didn't go for a personal initiative based mode.... hard to swallow that they made such obvious mistakes when implementing the existing castrated turn based system.

barghwata

Savant
Boring main quest disconnected from the rest of the game overshadowed its shining parts.
Meh, seeing how garbage PoE1's main quest was i am glad they didn't bother much with deadfire's main quest, you can just ignore it completely and go around exploring and it takes very little time to finish, meanwhile PoE1's main quest takes up most of the game's content and is painful to play through.

barghwata

Savant
the systems were fine, but when your encounter design is dogshit and the game is piss easy even on the highest difficulty then the game is gonna suck no matter what mechanics it has.

I disagree, the problem with deadfire wasn't the encounter design and you can find some endgame areas that have pretty well designed encounters if you explore enough. The bigger issues stem from the systems; the instant healing after combat, the dumbed down and pointless resting mechanic, the unlimited spell usage and the armor/penetration system that makes every encounter a chore where you chip away at the enemy's health 10 hp at a time.

It's really these kinds of streamlined and dumbed down mechanics that prevent it from being a great game, but unlike the first pillars it at least had potential.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom