Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News THQ Nordic's Gothic remake is being developed by new Barcelona-based RPG studio Alkimia Interactive

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Alkimia Interactive; Gothic (THQ Nordic Remake); THQ Nordic

It's been over a year since THQ Nordic announced that they were proceeding with their plan to create a remake of Piranha Bytes classic Gothic. We've known since the beginning that the game was being developed by a team in Barcelona. Originally described simply as THQ Nordic Barcelona, the new studio now has a proper name - Alkimia Interactive. We actually spotted that back in October, but today's press release from THQ Nordic makes it official:

Barcelona, Spain / Vienna, Austria, March 11th, 2021: Today THQ Nordic announces the incorporation of its new studio, Alkimia Interactive in Barcelona, Spain. After the Gothic Remake project was greenlit the next step was to fully set up a studio subsidiary.

In Summer 2020 the studio started operations and began bringing together a team of passionate RPG developers. Since then, the studio has set up an office in the heart of Barcelona. The team is constantly growing and is still looking for developers to join the family. More information about Alkimia Interactive can be found on the official website – there are still a few positions open: https://www.alkimiainteractive.com/

The team’s focus and ambition is to build high-quality RPGs, with its first project being the full development of the Gothic Remake for PC and Next-Gen consoles. Development is well on its way and the first results from all of the hard work the team has put in will be revealed in the next couple of months. “We strive to build Alkimia Interactive as a top-notch RPG studio”, said Reinhard Pollice, Studio Head at Alkimia Interactive. “Our ambition is to become one of the best addresses for PC/Console core game development in Southern Europe.”​

Well, good luck with that.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
there are still a few positions open [...] Development is well on its way

94wybzm4.jpg

:M

OctavianRomulus

Learned
A pretty bad move by them if you ask me. If you are a newbie developer, the last thing you should do is attempt to remake one of the most beloved games in Europe. I just don't think they have the experience necessary and it shows. It doesn't know whether it wants to be Witcher 3 or Gothic 1 or some Ubisoft game and it does a very poor job of imitating any of thse games.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Barcelona eh?

Now I want a lightsaber baton.....

Last edited:

Archibald

Arcane
A pretty bad move by them if you ask me. If you are a newbie developer, the last thing you should do is attempt to remake one of the most beloved games in Europe. I just don't think they have the experience necessary and it shows. It doesn't know whether it wants to be Witcher 3 or Gothic 1 or some Ubisoft game and it does a very poor job of imitating any of thse games.

I doubt that any experienced team wanted to take this job.

Rieser

Scholar
Maybe the development of this can challenge Bloodlines 2 for entertainment value? One can hope.

It's a soulless corporate system that lead to this. It's legions of fanboys high on branding drugs that allowed this to happen. It's greedy CEOs who would rather greenlight this trash, than take a risk and fund something creative, which resulted in this abominations seeing the light of day. Whatever happens, don't buy the remake, because if you buy it the 1% wins.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
That Gothic remake demo was like Decline Incarnated; the voiced protagonist talking to himself, the lame ass combat, the Witcher 2 wannabe vibe... literally all of it was shit on one of the most beloved European franchises ever
I dare say Gothic, Stalker and Heroes of Might and Magic are almost sacred in Eastern Europe and that piece of shit remake literally has nothing but the name going for it... I hope it burns in hell alongside Bloodlines 2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom