Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's your favorite keyword-based or text-parser dialogue cRPG?

Codex Year of the Donut
Hybrids between those and other forms of dialogue are welcome as long as it's partly one of those two.
:popcorn:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Give us a poll option for the maybe 5 of those that ever existed.

Inb4 Ultima 1 to 5 being the only options.

V_K

Arcane
Do you mean favorite game (as a whole) or favorite such system?
If the latter, probably Arcatera - great dialog system, not a great game. Or Wizardry 8 for the best keyword-based system in a game that is actually playable.
If the former, Wizardry 7 and Wizards and Warriors.

nlfortier

Esturia Games
Developer
Morrowind, because I hate typing random keywords in hopes of finding useful information from every NPC (looking at you Ultima IV).

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Morrowind, because I hate typing random keywords in hopes of finding useful information from every NPC (looking at you Ultima IV).
Did that once trying to play the old Police Quest game. Fuck that shit. If someone says typing random keywords is good gameplay, then I'm going straight for your fucking jaw when I see you out in public.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Didn't Ultima 4 have keyword highlighting? Keyword banks weren't too far off from there.

Shit man you needed to ask every single npc these four questions: Name, Job, Mantra, and BJ in the Backroom? There was no highlighting.
At least those games didn't hit you with walls of text when NPCs answered back.
Imagine playing PoE or Tyranny with parser based system.

Momock

Augur
None. Fuck these guessing games. Make a system advanced enough to understand and react to everything I can write, or don't do it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dusk of the Gods is an old DOS action RPG set in Norse mythology where you can type in keywords, but also click on highlighted words in the NPC's dialogue window hyperlink-style. That means that your average conversation flows quite fluidly and easily without having to make any guesses, you just click on the words you want to talk about. But you can also type in keywords, so there's a few topics that you have to discover by exploring or talking to others. Great system.

V_K

Arcane
Dusk of the Gods is an old DOS action RPG set in Norse mythology where you can type in keywords, but also click on highlighted words in the NPC's dialogue window hyperlink-style. That means that your average conversation flows quite fluidly and easily without having to make any guesses, you just click on the words you want to talk about. But you can also type in keywords, so there's a few topics that you have to discover by exploring or talking to others. Great system.
Other Event Horizon games (The Summoning, Veil of Darkness) had that too. So did the Exile series (only without underlining - you just click on words in NPC responses that catch your attention) and IIRC Wiz 8.
Personally, I prefer it the Exile way - you still have to do a tiny bit of thinking wrt what word to click; it makes it a little more engaging than having keyword highlights, while still saving a lot of typing.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Other Event Horizon games (The Summoning, Veil of Darkness) had that too. So did the Exile series (only without underlining - you just click on words in NPC responses that catch your attention) and IIRC Wiz 8.
Personally, I prefer it the Exile way - you still have to do a tiny bit of thinking wrt what word to click; it makes it a little more engaging than having keyword highlights, while still saving a lot of typing.

Not just the Exile games, it seems to have been a common thing among Macintosh RPGs.

Exile, Realmz, Jewel of Arabia: Dreamers, Cythera, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom