Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

CHEMS

Scholar
Explosive damage from the explosive 44 rounds don't crit. Most special ammo is useless in some way:

5mm shock rounds won't crit electro damage and won't shortcircuit robots = trash
9mm acid rounds won't crit with acid damage = trash
44 explosive won't crit = trash
7.62 rounds are okay-ish with the bleeding damage but you're better off with W2C ammo.
12.7mm contaminated rounds will leave a ridiculously small gas cloud that won't affect anyone because they'll move out of the way

The only special rounds i do enjoy are the tungsten shells and the incendiary 8.6 that have a fairly high chance to set stuff on fire. At least JHP and AP function as intended, unlike fallout 2.

All of the special bullets seem designed to suck on their own, and only be good if spammed at maximum volume out of a specialty weapon.

Shock bullets are to be spammed out of Rapid Muzzled Jaguar or this https://stygiansoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=NF_R90
Incendiary bullets out of a Rapid Muzzled Steel Cat
Acid bullets are definitely supposed to be spammed out of this https://stygiansoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=K&H_MP6
Explosive rounds out of this https://stygiansoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tommy_Gun

Even then they're seldom better than W2C, just an ok alternative while you find more crafting components for W2C bullets.
Most interesting fix would be for the unique guns to be even better at triggering the special bullets' effects than they already are... more burst shots, slightly lower base damage, that type of thing. As it is it's very tempting to say that special bullets just plain suck.

I don't bother much with unique guns. They're just mediocre. The only one i think it's GOOD is the XAL. There's an AR on deep caverns that it's interesting too. Rancor and Salvation are okay-ish. Styg should buff them.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Is there a saved game/character editor so I can fix the fact that I fucked up my build yet again, because I dumped perception when I meant to dump int?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I'm having fun with my SMG guy (the build I ultimately decided on), but I've realized that I'll essentially be pressing Burst for the rest of the game. Also, unlike ARs, I foresee running into the annoyance of realizing that I needed more DEX/could have done with less DEX once it's too late to do anything about it.

You'll be having a fuckton of problems due to: ridiculously low single-shot damage; ammo usage in DC; low range. Unlike AR builds, you can't really use snipers with minimal perk investment.

On the bright side, you'll be bursting some 5 times a turn with 7.62.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Is there a saved game/character editor so I can fix the fact that I fucked up my build yet again, because I dumped perception when I meant to dump int?
Nevermind, I found a cheat engine called "Reroll your character and pay attention this time you fucking retard."

Parabalus

Arcane
Nevermind, I found a cheat engine called "Reroll your character and pay attention this time you fucking retard."

There is a cheat engine table for Underrail, you could do it with that.

But attributes itself you can prob do without a table, just look for value, level up, look for value+1.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
i trully suffered and wasted a lot of resources to clear psi beetles on dominating with my thrower. In the end they didnt drop a single brain

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Classic vs Oddity is such a HUGE difference. I just finished my Dom play and I was level 30 right around Institute with zero Expeditions content done. I had only 2 levels extra at Depot A but afterwards it just exploded.

Next time I'm sticking with Oddity and Hard mode, fuck this drop chance.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Oddity kinda broke the game for me. I like it. It makes leveling more interesting, it doesn't allow you to shamefully overlevel and it feels like an actual reward. But it's makes the game way longer if you want those levels, and my OCD about levelling as much as I can is too strong to not to do that.

But I don't think I would play classic ever again. So oddity it is, but that means that I had to come up with some really cool build that will stay interesting till the end and not becomes good only after lvl 20.

Before my HD crashed I was playing tank on Classic and no way I'm gonna play tank on oddity.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
So maybe I'm not seeing it, but what actual good is stealth inside of combat, anyway? Is there a bonus from attacking out of stealth? Or is it only a good idea to stealth in combat with melee?

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
So maybe I'm not seeing it, but what actual good is stealth inside of combat, anyway? Is there a bonus from attacking out of stealth? Or is it only a good idea to stealth in combat with melee?
Stealth is good to avoid combat altogether or start it when you actually want it, effectively giving you the initiative and the first strike
Is there a bonus from attacking out of stealth?
There's a feat for that

CHEMS

Scholar

If you have decent stealth you can re-stealth out of combat with vanishing powder bombs. I like to do it with the sniper rifle: take one out with aimed shot + shooting spree = use the refunded AP to use the vanishing powder bomb. Just remember that those bombs wont work if you have few action points.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Is there a bonus from attacking out of stealth?
There's a feat for that

These ones to be precise:
01.png
04.png

This, plus a Healthy Aimed Shot feat bolstered with Crit-Enhancement means you can delete two enemies before a real fight begins. Proper stealth acumen also makes good use of flashbangs and vanishing powder as CHEMS said. If all enemies in combat are incapacitated, then you can stealth out of combat and re-engage at your leisure.

03.png

This is how you properly re-engage. Again, full stealth builds are all about ending fights before they truly begin.

ciox

Liturgist
Seems unintuitive, but by itself, stealth just gives you a slightly better chance to hit, and enables a few abilities.
The feat Blindsiding gives a 15% damage bonus with a +1% specialization which seems kinda weak and people don't go for it much.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
If you play no-stealth the combat starts as soon as people see you. That is.

With stealth, you can safely walk around, place traps, shank loners, choose the proper position and only then start combat.

If you are patient enough you can shank entire screens without getting shot at.

If anything, stealth is overpowered as fuck in Underrail

Black Angel

Arcane
Underrail's stealth mechanics is probably one of the best well done stealth in RPGs, however OP it maybe. Since Underrail is my first cRPG ever, I can't help but be disappointed when playing older cRPGs like Fallout and Arcanum. Sneaking/Prowling felt like a utility skill, instead of something that can be invested into as a playstyle.

jackofshadows

Magister
Underrail's stealth mechanics is probably one of the best well done stealth in RPGs, however OP it maybe. Since Underrail is my first cRPG ever, I can't help but be disappointed when playing older cRPGs like Fallout and Arcanum. Sneaking/Prowling felt like a utility skill, instead of something that can be invested into as a playstyle.
That's because you don't know shieet. Arcanum's stealth rogue build is my favorite one, although it's viable in TB mode only and I like RT more lately in it. I could tell more if you want. As for Fallout - stealth is also a viable combat skill there, for some reason bunch of players completely unaware of that fact. It's even OP I'd say. You just use it during combat and the enemies are starting to 'lose' you, trying to reduce distance instead of shooting etc.

Unfortunately, it's not working on global map - so no matter how high your stealth skill is, say you are spawning in the middle of mutant packs and the first minigun crit might delete you anyway (ATOM team actually fixed that in their... 'inspired by' game). But in Arcanum it is working and when you stumble at enemies on global map if you're in stealth and your skill is high enough the battle won't start and you can simply press world map again and move on if you desire so.

Last edited:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Sneaking in Fallout 1 and 2 is OP even more than in Underrail:

- Fallout doesn't have Armor Penalty mechanics making it possible to sneak in PA
- Fallout doesn't have sound propagation
- Fallout doesn't have dynamic spotting: as soon as you in NPC's detection radius the game rolls against your Sneak skill. Sneaking alone reduces NPC's detection radius by four times
- Fallout has free instant restealth and endcombat if you out of detection range of hostile NPCs
- Fallout actually has "facing" mechanics, where standing behind NPC greatly reduces detection radius
- Fallout has possible cheese with pumping NPC with PER lowering alcohol (fixed in Sonora, lol)

Essentially, it allows you to kill NPC then immediately restealth and endcombat if you are out of 1/4 of detection range of any other hostile NPCs. Very useful in deserts (you will spawn at great distance from enemies if you have high PER). Also, it allows for shanking stragglers: enter stealth, start combat, kill NPC in one turn, then restealth and endcombat. Stealth sniper crit build is very potent in Fallout 2, allowing you to clear entire screens with getting no more than one attack in return.

Unfortunately, it's not working on global map - so no matter how high your stealth skill is, say you are spawning in the middle of mutant packs and the first minigun crit might delete you anyway
Invest in PER and it will never happen

CHEMS

Scholar
- Fallout has possible cheese with pumping NPC with PER lowering alcohol (fixed in Sonora, lol)

Is Sonora ready? I'm hyped for this one. The best Fallout Mods are russian, so i'm eagerly waiting the translation. Too bad i'll never ever play the Global Mod because there's no translation.

Funkified Chicken

This game is absolutely brilliant. What similar titles would you recommend?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom