Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's talk about Lacrymas' homebrew fantasy setting where paladins are eunuchs

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They create food and water nobody else can, so this "metaphysically" concentrates power to them, even if they can't alter reality like in D&D.
Like I said, because arcane spellcasters create food and water. That inevitably concentrates power and nobody else can take that away from them. Which inevitably leads to a static setting and a tyranny which can't be toppled.
Clerics, who receive spells inspired by Biblical events, have been able to cast create water/food spells since original Dungeons & Dragons in 1974.
This was a hypothetical scenario. It was a made up setting (not by me) in which wizards are the only ones who can create food and water because the land is otherwise infertile.

Unwanted

Ataraxia

Unwanted
Petition to move this prestigious thread either to the gazebo or the codex workshop subforum.

Okay?

Thanks in advance.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Lacrymas, isn't it problematic that the womxn of your setting must've lost a baby before joining the barbarian sisterhoods? Are you saying that transwomxn aren't womxn? :smug:
Yeah, in a setting where gays are branded with a mark of shame and shunned, dwarves and halflings are mutant abominations, and unlawful paladins are castrated, transwomen are brave and stunning stars deserving of every ounce of privilege they are naturally granted.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Lacrymas ousted as a TERF.
Transwomen can't get into the sisterhood not because they aren't women but because there's no way to falsify birth. Every pregnancy is first authorized by the churches and kept in a record with the mother's name, fathers are incidental. So even if you did father a child before transitioning (or after actually, since there are no hormones or anything that would allow you to medically transition like you can now), nobody would really know that, or at least not in any official capacity that is required to join the sisterhood. You'll have much bigger problems as a transwoman in this setting to worry about faking pregnancies, though.

This sounds more convoluted than it really is. I also haven't thought about trans people, I just know in the back of my mind that isn't acceptable in this setting, lol. I suppose if you are super clever and pass ridiculously well with no medical intervention you'll be fine, but good luck with that.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Ataraxia

Unwanted
Lacrymas, isn't it problematic that the womxn of your setting must've lost a baby before joining the barbarian sisterhoods? Are you saying that transwomxn aren't womxn? :smug:
Yeah, in a setting where gays are branded with a mark of shame and shunned, dwarves and halflings are mutant abominations, and unlawful paladins are castrated, transwomen are brave and stunning stars deserving of every ounce of privilege they are naturally granted.

Your homebrewed setting is a parody of modern day american society?

Interesting.

Vatnik Wumao
Every pregnancy is first authorized by the churches and kept in a record

Come to think of it, what kind of magic facilitates this kind of information flow and control? What of isolated communities of lumberjacks and beekeepers?
In the grim darkness of Lacrymas' setting, you gotta have a license for that isolated community membership.

Lacrymas

Arcane

Come to think of it, what kind of magic facilitates this kind of information flow and control? What of isolated communities of lumberjacks and beekeepers?
This is only within the populated areas where the churches have control, obviously. There are other communities where the culture is different. Bandit camps for example. You can go there to plop out a baby without the meddling hands of the churches if you so desire. Good luck finding them, though.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Ataraxia

Unwanted
Lacrymas ousted as a TERF.
Transwomen can't get into the sisterhood not because they aren't women but because there's no way to falsify birth. Every pregnancy is first authorized by the churches and kept in a record with the mother's name, fathers are incidental. So even if you did father a child before transitioning (or after actually, since there are no hormones or anything that would allow you to medically transition like you can now), nobody would really know that, or at least not in any official capacity that is required to join the sisterhood. You'll have much bigger problems as a transwoman in this setting to worry about faking pregnancies, though.

This sounds more convoluted than it really is. I also haven't thought about trans people, I just know in the back of my mind that isn't acceptable in this setting, lol. I suppose if you are super clever and pass ridiculously well with no medical intervention you'll be fine, but good luck with that.

What about gender identities? Do the churches keep records of people's sexual orientations and in extension of that, are they, the churches, in the business of authorizing and regulating them also?

Cael

Arcane

This is only within the populated areas where the churches have control, obviously. There are other communities where the culture is different. Bandit camps for example. You can go there to plop out a baby without the meddling hands of the churches if you so desire. Good luck finding them, though.
So, a country bumpkin who has no records would not be legally allowed to be in Church controlled areas because he won't be in the system?

Son, just play Shadowrun already.

Trithne

Erudite
Every pregnancy is first authorized by the churches and kept in a record with the mother's name, fathers are incidental.

How very German. I think you need to be more concerned with the monumental level of total control these churches seem to exert before concerning yourself with a nerd with some magic papers.

This setting almost sounds like a parody - Tge sort of thing kids on r/atheism would come up with to larp out their "smash the church-state" dreams.

Cael

Arcane
Every pregnancy is first authorized by the churches and kept in a record with the mother's name, fathers are incidental.

How very German. I think you need to be more concerned with the monumental level of total control these churches seem to exert before concerning yourself with a nerd with some magic papers.

This setting almost sounds like a parody - Tge sort of thing kids on r/atheism would come up with to larp out their "smash the church-state" dreams.
Mother's name and all that, it is a very current year take on the whole medieval thing, isn't it?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Come on, 2E is extremely amazing and most modules for 2e are mid to high level.

It wasn't a problem with the system itself, but so many tabletop DMs didn't award XP properly (not giving quest XP or treasure XP) that people played for months or years without gaining levels. I know many such games that never ascended past level 3. When 3E came out it was funny watching all these people freak out at players gaining levels and getting 'overpowered'. Common early nerfs to 3E were to slow XP gains and keep players low level forever.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Churches authorize pregnancies because there aren't a lot of resources to go around, not because it's an authoritarian nightmare. If you are an unauthorized baby, the church takes you away to train you as a Paladin. If you aren't a kid, say you are born in a bandit camp or your mother managed to hide your existence, you don't get certain privileges when in church lands. There aren't a lot of communities outside of church-controlled ones - it's a desert setting. There are orc tribes and bandit camps, that's about it. At least as far as this civilization knows.

Cael

Arcane
Churches authorize pregnancies because there aren't a lot of resources to go around, not because it's an authoritarian nightmare. If you are an unauthorized baby, the church takes you away to train you as a Paladin. If you aren't a kid, say you are born in a bandit camp or your mother managed to hide your existence, you don't get certain privileges when in church lands. There aren't a lot of communities outside of church-controlled ones - it's a desert setting. There are orc tribes and bandit camps, that's about it. At least as far as this civilization knows.
So, in other words, if you don't follow the orthodoxy, your child is kidnapped and enslaved for life? And if you are not of the orthodoxy, you are a second class citizen?

Wow. After all that crap, you basically outed yourself as a muslim.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom