Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic remake from THQ Nordic

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
What? Did it have tank controls or something?

It feels like was made for people that never played a RPG or the only RPG that they played was Skyrim but somehow worse than Skyrim because the protagonist never stops talk. Even watching someone playing was a bad experience lol.

I hope they really take all feedback to the heart because even if you never played Gothic , there so much wrong with that demo lmao.

They don't. They take naive fans hopes and turn it into the tool of corpopropaganda. When the remakes are out and they will be shit fanboys will defend them vehemently in hopes of getting a proper Gothic sequel. Corporate branding is a new way of rich and powerful to install serfdom over the masses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don Peste

Arcane
I hope they hired more than 7 people to make this (@AlkimiaGameDev follows 9 accounts: 7 devs + Gothic + THQ Nordic. Maybe better don't check their feeds...).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I hope they hired more than 7 people to make this (@AlkimiaGameDev follows 9 accounts: 7 devs + Gothic + THQ Nordic. Maybe better don't check their feeds...).

LinkedIn right now has 20 people listed. Considering that this is just officially announced there would be more than 20 people.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron

What the press release says: "there are still a few positions open", "development is well on its way", "first results from all of the hard work the team has put in".
What their website says:

94wybzm4.jpg

there so much wrong with that demo lmao.
What? Did it have tank controls or something?
It had a lot of issues. In terms of production value it was honestly more than decent enough, but it did so many things wrong both in terms of characters and mechanically. In some ways it was straight-up ANTITHETICAL to a lot of design choices that distinguished the Gothic series over the years.

Copy-pasting from one of my old comments (not because it was particularly insightful but because I'm a lazy fuck):

Over-exposition, overly chatty NPCs, a protagonist that would never quit spouting annoying quips or describing what was going on to the most minute detail, an invasive UI leading the player by the nose with markers and minimaps, "architectonic barriers" made by crap like "three crates in a row", chest-high barriers you couldn't climb over, fences that didn't let you pass below them even when crouching (even if it looked like you were supposed to be able to), the fact that you couldn't actually fall off a bridge/cliff but you'd find yourself running against an invisible wall, the concept of getting a weapon and fighting dangerous enemies from the get go instead of making clear from the beginning that you are NOT special and in fact weak as a kitten at first, etc, etc.

Even with its limited and now extremely dated tech one thing the Gothic games sold you on from the first moments was the illusion to be a in a physically consistent 3D space and a consistent micro-ecosystem, where what you'd see would be what you'd get.
The demo threw that idea out of the window from the very first steps its fictional world. Everything in its environment felt like a cardboard set ready to break any illusion every time it was put to test.

EDIT - Also, their take on the new combat system was this half-assed approximative imitation of Ubisoft's "For Honor" (which I've never been particularly fond of, to begn with) but without any of the depth or the eye candy to make it work.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also i heard the NPCs are too nice towards you and basically babying you unlike gothic and most other PB game you are just literally some weak ass schmuck thrown into a mean place. that erases the rewarding progression when you finally can knock back against your bullies.

That applies mostly to Diego, honestly.
Besides, the issue isn't really that he's "too nice" as much as the fact that he's a completely different character.
Too talkative, too willing to go into long expository explanations and with an entirely different attitude. He sounds like a tosser in love with his own voice and who loves to pretend to be "classy and sophisticated" above his peers.
Also, the voice acting was generally terrible and he kept doing some weird ass pausing during his speeches.

Here's a good preview of the teaser demo and you can easily find a part specifically dedicated to the the issue with Diego.

Ravielsk

Magister

I hope they really take all feedback to the heart because even if you never played Gothic , there so much wrong with that demo lmao.

They don't. They take naive fans hopes and turn it into the tool of corpopropaganda. When the remakes are out and they will be shit fanboys will defend them vehemently in hopes of getting a proper Gothic sequel. Corporate branding is a new way of rich and powerful to install serfdom over the masses.
Dipshits that do this make my blood boil. The steam page is filled with "feedback" that essentially goes along the lines of "yeah it sucks but I really want this game to happen so I am upvoting, I hope the devs can the fix it before release". Yeah sure, with that sort of response I am sure they will bust their asses to fix everything you refused to even fucking complain about. I can already picture them completely overhauling the game systems and re-recording all the voice lines after you basically told them they are "slightly annoying".

Murk

Arcane
NuDiego comes off as a freshly graduated art school student trying his best to recreate a one-man Shakespearean play during an open mic night.

The whole game is just insulting -- everything about it is off.

Ladonna

Arcane
As soon as I see the word "remake" in this day and age, I know it will be shit. The only hope is when someone does it as an unpaid labour of love. Make sure you secure your own copy of the original Gothic 1 and 2, because when this thing comes out, they will probably try to take the originals off the shelf.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page already.

With new screenshots (with less-saturated colors) and feature list (promising a faithful remake and combat based on the original).

ss_43f5aa3bf2cd6acbdc62e548abe606820badc9bc.1920x1080.jpg

The Kingdom of Myrtana has been invaded by an implacable horde of orcs.
King Rhobar II, in need of a large quantity of magical ore in order to forge powerful weapons, operates the Khorinis mines with all available prisoners. To prevent them from escaping, the monarch asks his best magicians to create a magical barrier. But something goes wrong. The magic gets out of control and a mutiny turns the mines into a wild territory now controlled by the most violent prisoners.
The King is forced to negotiate with the new owners, while the tension between the different factions of the mines increases. What no one expects is that the arrival of an unknown prisoner will change absolutely everything.

Features:
  • Faithful full remake of the original Gothic 1
  • Modernized combat system that takes the basic premises of the original combat system to the modern age
  • Return to The Colony, in a full blow remake of the popular and revolutionary game Gothic from 2001. Rediscover the world of the mining colony, its secrets and challenges
  • Play as the Nameless Hero – Manage the fate of a lifetime convicted prisoner who must survive in a world of wild animals, creatures and convicts of dangerous reputation.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Combat in the demo was a big issue, but so was almost everything else. Gothic, I weep for you. The way story is presented, and the way characters are all portrayed are all wrong compared to the original. I knew something was wrong just by watching the Michael Bay influenced intro. We'll see how much they can change. I don't have high hopes.

God forgive me, even Arcania was better.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
they fixed the color palette, well that's probably the easiest thing to do.

i will probably start to change my mind if they changed the opening into being punched into a ditch like in gothic 1

typical user

Arbiter
They still need to change their level design. There are some crates or waist-high walls blocking you just because. Also faces, Nameless hero looks like he spent too much time on Ibiza.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
after playing and given up on gothic 3, i think 3 is the one who would benefit from a full-remake. i mean even a mediocre remake but more polished gameplay would make this game a lot better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom