Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs you regret never finishing

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Two games bugged out on me so much I decided to quit them: Wasteland 2 (way back, before DC) and Skyrim. Never tried to replay them, but I might try to beat Wasteland 2 DC this year, heard it's less buggy now.

Drowed

Arcane
Underrail. Deep Caverns is bullshit.

Yeah... And I love the game! Damn, if you add up the hours I have on GOG and Steam, it is about 200+ hours. I think I've reached Deep Caverns about 3 or 4 times, lost patience, exported my character and started a new game again. Being honest here, my char is basically unstoppable at this point, it's not even a matter of difficulty. But something about the design and backtracking of Deep Caverns makes this part of the game deeply tedious for me.

No doubt I will end up finishing the game one day. But not today.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Darksun: Shattered Lands. Didn't take dilligent notes, then had a long pause, caused by other factors, when I came back I did not remember what I was doing and why. I need to restart it and do a full playthrough one day.

Lol I finished it back in the day now I can’t even figure out how to get started. Way too many spells.

Desiderius

Patron
On the subject: my only regret is not being able to muster enough strength to play DOS-era RPGs. Their UI is fucking horrible and fonts are unreadable (when they go for stylized fonts).
How can you not even start them? You could only play an hour and quit if you really wanted to play them. With the UI it becomes manageable once you learn all the shortcut keys.

Sort of? Depends on the game. I thought I wouldn’t be able to manage Realms of Arkania or M&M III but picked it up fine. Gold Box and M&M 1 were a bridge too far.

Desiderius

Patron
Pillars of Eternity.

I got bored and gave up sometime after my party reached the city of Twin Elms. I lost my save a long time ago. I've always wanted to finish it because it's crpg history and I'll never feel like I can begin Deadfire now. But oh god I'm not starting a Pillars of Eternity playthrough ever again.

I wish I gave up on Pillars of Eternity when I got to Twin Elms. It wasn't amazing before it, but it was just straight up bad after it.

That’s what I was afraid of. I did a new playthrough with WM, got overleveled, and still dropped at same place.

Codex Year of the Donut
I rarely ever finish RPGs unless it has a direct continuation available, I typically stop playing near the end. Don't really do it on purpose.

Metronome

Learned
I never got around to finishing Rogue, but eventually I will go back to it. It's hard to regret not finishing roguelikes because you can always later go back to them. At least if a run is relatively short.

ChaDargo

Arcane
Planescape, because I couldn't stand the combat, neither as a kid nor just recently when I tried again. And now I'm the one hardcore rpg nerd who doesn't know why people like the damn game

Pillars is sort of a semi-regret, I'm still on the fence whether to be delighted about the fact that I dropped it, or dismayed that I am unable to kill some time with deadfire since it's apparently somewhat better. Another one is Atom RPG, I'm not sure where precisely did I drop it or why. I might actually download it again, wasn't there a new expansion or something that came out recently?

Desiderius

Patron
Planescape, because I couldn't stand the combat, neither as a kid nor just recently when I tried again. And now I'm the one hardcore rpg nerd who doesn't know why people like the damn game

It fits their zeitgeist. I didn't finish my replay but Morte alone is worth anything else you don't like.

Judging Planescape by its combat is like expecting a last night's hooker to stick around for the morning and make you a nice breakfast. I'd say it's best to take the things as they are and focus on the actual qualities while glossing over any hefty expectations - in this case, those of quality combat system.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Ironseed, its a fantastic game, but I can never muster the time to handle all the resource gathering the game needs.

Try the 25th anniversary re-release, it makes some of the more tedious parts of the game easier to manage.
Oh, I am aware of that, I just never got around to trying that version, other things always seemed more important at the time. Hmm, its cheaper on Itch.io for some reason.

V_K

Arcane
I rarely finish games that are longer than 25 hours - few titles have gameplay and level design to be fun beyond that mark. And because of that I rarely regret not finishing games - plot-wise, there's wikipedia and youtube to learn how it ends, and I'm not masochistic enough to continue enduring gameplay that's not fun anymore.
The two exceptions are Grimrock 2 and Wizardry 8. With Grimrock 2, I simply had to put it on the backburner because life happened, but then I forgot too much to pick up where I've left, but too little to restart it from the beginning. With Wizardry 8, I just couldn't handle the slow combats anymore - it was before I learned of Wizfast - and then was never in the right mindset for a game this massive (same reason I haven't played Grimore yet).
Growing old and having a career really puts a damper on gaming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom