Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Loop Hero

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
men... how do you beat 4th expedition?
I did 1-3 each boss 3 times. On 4th I barely survive lich, somehow can make it to the princess, and die...

Forests and a river + what ever is relevant for your class.
Note that there seems to be diminishing returns to attack speed. Once you hit a certain amount (around +200%?) your character will start getting fatigued after a few swings, halving your attack speed for a few seconds. So you should not have a deck with just forests+river as landscape cards.

Tao

Savant
It's there any more interactions like vampire+village? Can the bandit spawn, the gobbo or the Harpy mountain be upgrade into something else?.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
men... how do you beat 4th expedition?
I did 1-3 each boss 3 times. On 4th I barely survive lich, somehow can make it to the princess, and die...

Forests and a river + what ever is relevant for your class.
Note that there seems to be diminishing returns to attack speed. Once you hit a certain amount (around +200%?) your character will start getting fatigued after a few swings, halving your attack speed for a few seconds. So you should not have a deck with just forests+river as landscape cards.

- Stack HP+HP recovery supplies
- Optimize for fighting against specific enemies (vampires, dogs, undead)
- Create synergies for the class you are playing (HP for defense when playing a warrior etc.)
- Potions and more potions. Like 10+ potions. Then you get the trait that gives 40% chance to not to use a potion
- Certain enemies/enemy combos are really bad idea in the 4th expedition. Pay attention to what gets you nuked.

Once you unlock alchemy, you can basically pump out as much supplies as you need.

But winning the 4th is basically RNG. You need good traits, good items and you need to get lucky with cards. If it takes too long for you to get to the boss fight, you get fucked. Like utterly fucked. Loop 20+ bossman is pretty impossible, even with 50% HP reduction from desert tiles.

There is really no way to influence the RNG. Even if you get the boost for more rare items, it doesn't guarantee the bonuses you need. Like if you get a couple of loops with no evasion gear, or as necro w/o skeleton level boost... gg RIP.

And for anyone who might be wondering about it - no, there is no real hidden depth. You don't get anything for beating the final boss for six time, which sucks.

I have full encyclopedia but still missing the 'cheevo for seeing all enemies, which is weird. Even beat the easter egg bosses.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
with rogue it feels like mountains and forests are a must. Forests are obvious, without mountains boss will drop you faster than you can chug those potions, even with amazing perk that ups your max hp per each trophy.
Also I might need lvl3 towers, enemies in a loop progress so quickly that they brush of dmg they provide quickly... Yeah it does sound like some grinding is in order

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Yes you should. The point is limiting the amount of cards you can pull so that you reach the limit as soon as possible.

You want to be able to fight 4spiders on every square every step you are not stepping into a counts estate.

If you do this correctly you should reach the 4th boss in loop 7-8 with like 2000-2500 hp and completely filled map.

with rogue it feels like mountains and forests are a must. Forests are obvious, without mountains boss will drop you faster than you can chug those potions, even with amazing perk that ups your max hp per each trophy.
Also I might need lvl3 towers, enemies in a loop progress so quickly that they brush of dmg they provide quickly... Yeah it does sound like some grinding is in order

You just need the traits that give you max HP. No need for mountains.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You could beat it in 6 hours.

You could beat the first boss in 6 hours, sure, but not the whole game without prior knowledge or a guide. I'd like to see a full blind playthrough of this game completed in 6 hours. That'd be impressive.
:hmmm:
Ahhh the game is extremely simplistic,i beat it around 6 hours and moved on lol. It is not that hard to come up with a valid strategy for building your loop. There is like 5-6 terrain cards and half of them are useless depending on the class,and there is only three classes. It is not fucking nuclear physics.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Yes you should. The point is limiting the amount of cards you can pull so that you reach the limit as soon as possible.
The correct way is to play with bookstores, and cycle a lot of cards. Why place forests when thickets have twice the benefit? Then you'll hit maxed attack speed with like 30 cards played.

The bookstore is ridiculously overpowered, by far the best card imo.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The correct way is to play with bookstores, and cycle a lot of cards. Why place forests when thickets have twice the benefit? Then you'll hit maxed attack speed with like 30 cards played.

The bookstore is ridiculously overpowered, by far the best card imo.

That is possible, I didn't get to it because it was easy to defeat the final boss with the strategy outlined above.

Salvo

Arcane

You could beat the first boss in 6 hours, sure, but not the whole game without prior knowledge or a guide. I'd like to see a full blind playthrough of this game completed in 6 hours. That'd be impressive.
Ahhh the game is extremely simplistic,i beat it around 6 hours and moved on lol. It is not that hard to come up with a valid strategy for building your loop. There is like 5-6 terrain cards and half of them are useless depending on the class,and there is only three classes. It is not fucking nuclear physics.

You'll find out there's more beyond Act 1

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
what are 2 last tiles in encyclopedia, landscape part?
what are exact criteria to farm counts chair supply? Got 2, i think it either just vampire manshion or paired with library.
Same question for mirror supply. worst case scenario I want to farm magic immunity lol
Would also like to get more cheeses, got just 1

also missing few enemies:
- next to ghost of ghosts
- in between watcher and tome
- last row, before wooden warrior

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

no one believes you

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
I dont quite get how card drops work, or item drops for that matter.
What influences quality and quantity.
From what I read every card has a "weight" which determines how many times it shows up in a full round of cards, every round leaves out 20% of the card types for that round of the the deck; So you can get long stretches of common cards and quick spurts of uncommon cards depending on which cards got cut for that round. Something like that.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
i have won

y4mw21FO5eMIyrDF4PPTJtMXQ9ZBva_4-8TzSPlniPzxnwuSbOArkRwhhveE0hhKH3_oDqnx_mvxqRsM0dfxTyAbstDDUBdlgGNTBWYTPVf9XIpVcy_HlRUJlsDdXJ34-l_IJ601sD8cHjIhSdSoO5mefljJgCUd-O6J8AXJZOD-BId-mzFhnbNSO2_4AGjiES3

goddess of deterministic probability, new codex goty

winning strategy? dump all my wood to craft furniture. Managed to equip 7 counts chair that way. As obviously i play only rogue, that boosted vampirism from 5 to 12%. Big difference, always keeps your hp high, gives enough time to chug potions. Also equipped 7 alchemy shelves. Running out of potions was no longer an option.
Health got solved by equipping 4 kitchen knives and a bunch of food. Hams seem best but got only one
Yup, that supply tab is op, dwarfs everything.
Didnt get any good perk besides free resurrect, didnt use it. I did die once to the 3rd boss wolf at the very end of the battle
spawned lich at loop 5th and managed to spawn next boss on each loop afterwards

lol, it appears you are supposed to beat 4th boss 6 times to get all the dialogues...

4.6% of the players won the game... amazing

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
As obviously i play only rogue
I too have come to the conclusion that rogue is best class. Necromancer is stronger if you get the right gear/perks, but also completely useless if your item rng is bad. Rogue is just incredibly reliable and fast.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
As obviously i play only rogue
I too have come to the conclusion that rogue is best class. Necromancer is stronger if you get the right gear/perks, but also completely useless if your item rng is bad. Rogue is just incredibly reliable and fast.

dunno about best, its just that i always play rogues. From what ive red its viewed as weakest due to how 2nd and 3rd bosses seem to be geared against him. Adding fatigue was quite a nerf. I've just red that they will make vampire chairs not stack so... yet another nerf incomming.
As for rogue its all about getting that feat that gives you max hp for trophies, preferably with one that gives 3 max hp for kills(yeah its max hp, not healing). If you luck out, you are paper

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
So I wound up beating the final boss(?). Doing the whole gauntlet took a long time (I still can't believe how a 'casual' game forces you to play for more than an hour without being able to save your progress), but in the end I killed the boss with 3 hp potions and 2 resurrections left unused. I really liked his special abilities, they were very cool. Got shit perks as a reward, so I picked the resource cache, letting me finally build the alchemist building and finish the camp aside from repeatable structures.

I also like how this game handles voice acting, ie there's different sound effects as the text appears, it works quite well.

But there's some stuff I haven't seen and I have no idea what it is.
  • There's a special building between beacon and lich's palace
  • Two creatures left of 'tome'
  • One creature under scorch worm
Someone also implied there was a secret boss?

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1282730/view/3012317192186861863

500,000 Players Have Embraced Loop Hero!
Week One Sales Milestone, Steam Cards & Future Updates Revealed
We're so thrilled and blown away to announce that over 500,000 players have set out on loop adventures in the first week since Loop Hero's launch! But our biggest achievement has been to hit Overwhelmingly Positive on Steam user reviews - thank you all so much!

We're celebrating this all with a collaboration with Bard-the-zombie on a special series of Steam Trading Cards, available now in the game!

d93e87330356145b728ba20acddaac35ea3ccccc.jpg

Next up, we're working on patches with quality-of-life updates you all asked for, including a system for saving during expeditions, new speed settings, and a deck of traits gained from bosses! After that, you can expect to see lots more content added to the game, such as new cards, transformations, classes and new music. We can’t wait to share more updates with you all soon!

7fe54ef237f6e6b9ed3b5d3a94529de50eee15c7.jpg

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Afaik swamps are for necromancer but Im yet to play one.

Why?
knight relies on regen and/or vampirism, got some from start.
Rogue relies on vampirism and got some from start
As such swamp hurt them quite a bit.

Necro on other hand got meat shields, amulets, can go fine with just flasks

I will need to grind in order to test your theory.

For me it looks like the game is too much RNG.

I had one run for the second boss where I was able to get 42 defense on my necro and the boss battle was easy.

I realized some mistakes: I was popping treasures too early and sometimes I was putting mobs too close.

But the same cards, the same style of playing and I cannot get the same items for the 3rd boss. It's crazy.

I don't understand how the items are generated. They are linked to mobs types? I need high defense items.

Edit: I don't want to read a guide. I would prefer to figure it out on my own and I really want to beat the 3rd boss with the necro.

Actually I need to farm some shit to get the River.

Metronome

Learned
I beat it a while ago. I don't remember the details. I was playing a rogue and had a lot of swamps and spiders around the camp. Rest of the map was mostly barren. I had a couple of libraries set up out there for ideal cards. A goblin camp or two I didn't get around to removing. 2 guard stations around the camp and the rat companion are great for the bosses. If nothing else they take a hit or two. Sometimes the bosses forget to kill your companions too and it can get pretty cheesy.

I might fill out the encyclopedia later but I don't plan on doing the trophies. The length felt about right. Not too long or short. 40 hours for me. I liked the story too. I'm glad they didn't "leave it up to the imagination" like these type of games typically do. It worked well with the gameplay. Not a lot of ludonarrative dissonance.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
For me it looks like the game is too much RNG.
It kind of is, but it depends on character class. Rogues are not very RNG, because all they really need is a decent base amulet and weapons, and you typically won't fail to get that (modifiers barely matter in these slots).

Warrior is most rng dependant I think, you need to get perks and items which combo with eachother (like high counter% items and hp recovery whenever you counter). Necro is somewhere in the middle, and needs a mix of skeleton level, max skeletons and skeleton quality modifiers to be strong.

Imo swamps aren't very good in general because the mosquitoes spawn slow and don't drop a lot of items. They're fine for necromancer, but I think you'd be better off with something else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom