Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Hellish Quart - 17th century historical dueling game with physics based combat

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think the problem would be the controls, since the control scheme wouldnt really work for a normal third person game. Of course it probably would be too hardcore for mainstream audience too.

But I certainly agree that this combat system is wasted in a small-time combat game like this and if people found a way to make it work in an RPG, it would be great. The way I could see this working would be a game similar to the 1989 Sword of Samurai, where dueling was a separare subsystem in the game.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Gameplay wise, this game is REALLY good. Like it's what you'd actually want out of realistic duel game. The action is quick and to the point, even a glancing blow can add up very quickly and the thought that one wrong move or misstep can lead to being maimed is awesome. Very visceral without being overly glamorized. It's what I had hoped For Honor would be more like and how I'd imagine a modernized Bushido Blade to play.

But as mentioned, it does feel like a tech demo because what do you do with a game like this in the long run? The gameplay is its prime selling point and it sells that well but it's also something that won't have long lasting legs if you're just going through a standard enemy gauntlet and doing the whole Parsec online route for a few rounds with human opponents. If I could transplant this swordplay into other games that desperately need it I sure as hell would, though.

I don't know how you can fit this into an RPG though because the lethality of it overrides the statistical gains/power advantage gained from leveling up that many RPGs base their character ascension around. The only recent RPG I could think that would put this to good use is Kingdom Come: Deliverance and even there it'd be kind of like a "mini game" which in my eyes would do a disservice to the engine here. It would probably fit better if you simply expanded on what you have here by adding a narrative and such. Maybe do a Shadow of the Colossus type deal where you travel around the world and seek to challenge famed duelists but have to build up a reputation first by defeating others from lowlife thugs to robber barons and shit.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know how you can fit this into an RPG though
Simple. Stats govern various aspects of the character, how fast you turn, how quickly you recover etc. and lethality isn't an issue because you're a fail forward resurrecting ghost man a la Shadow of War. Maybe you lose xp on each death as a deterrent, or have to win x number of fights in a row to level up, get faster and have any chance of winning against the guardian of the next gate. You can grind easy fights if you want but xp gained will be exponentially lower the weaker they are relative to yourself, incentivizing play at the highest level you can manage. Game designed, pay me.

fork

F1BA9A2F8C0F8B39A78AD1ED82F153B24E4444C1

Yeah, game has a lot of potential. Let's hope the guy keeps at it.

Zariusz

Arbiter
That new hungarian Laszlo is quite fun. I like that new fancy lower thrust attack for Jacek.
Also anyone else feels like Gedeon got kinda more unresponsive? Maybe its just because i have new pad but still.

Humanophage

Arcane
They gave that cossack guy a "wimp skull" lol XDDD
It's interesting how a lot of incel talk is anti-white. They like Asian wide cheekbones, Asian gonial angles, and now it turns out they also fancy brachycephaly. A lot of their rhetoric is like that Incel-Chad meme where the Chad is pitching something that is generally regarded as undesirable.

61f00a25923ef9ca39d2fd2f0a524655.jpg

Last edited:

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
It's interesting how a lot of incel talk is anti-white. They like Asian wide cheekbones, Asian gonial angles, and now it turns out they also fancy brachycephaly. A lot of their rhetoric is like that Incel-Chad meme where the Chad is pitching something that is generally regarded as undesirable.
It's not "incel talk" it's what femoids like, incels just noticed it. Brachycephaly is a "short" and wider head? If yes then this is not what foids like. And that Ukrainian character from the game does look like a wimpcel, he is lucky he lives in the 17th century and not in 2021.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Dayum, this looks p. good actually. The game could be way more than just a dueling simulator if they keep developing the story mode in this direction. Hell, it could even end up as an RPG!

fork

I really wish they'd focus on the fighting part instead and flesh that out first. That story mode looks boring as fuck so far. They are two guys afaik, I'm afraid they're adding too much stuff to deliver a polished, fun product in the end, aka biting off more than they can chew, aka feature creep.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom