Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rance Series

thesecret1

Arcane
Reached the original ending of Rance Quest. Man, what a gut punch of an ending it is. Really curious what the Magnum ending is and if it's better.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Counter must be bugged. Even at 3 stars (=80%) it activates in like 20% or less of all attacks.
A shame. A tank with counter looked like a good idea.
I think it doesn't activate when guarding (only relevant with Teru) or being guarded, which means it's a shit skill yeah.

Tyrr

Liturgist
I just unlocked the final Magnum quest. So I have a question about NG+.
Do you keep your levels, or is everyone reset to base level? I just want to know if there is a point in leveling anymore.
And what about gold and items?

Maxie

After I got filtered hard by Vivid and her curse instakill, I hit the gym hard to prepare myself for Full
It was rather embarassing to nuke the shit out of her with Alkanese alone (did it twice for both Quest endings just to make sure)
At least Magnum storyline has some chill beats

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Counter must be bugged. Even at 3 stars (=80%) it activates in like 20% or less of all attacks.
A shame. A tank with counter looked like a good idea.
I think it doesn't activate when guarding (only relevant with Teru) or being guarded, which means it's a shit skill yeah.

The issue with counter is like TK said, it only triggers when directly targeted. Not really worth it unless you can make sure you are the one who gets hit.

KingDoofus

Scholar
Counter wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so damn expensive as a skill. Teru comes with the un-upgraded version of it for free; I tried making a build for her where she stands out by focusing on countering. It wasn't worth it. It hits hard when it activates, but there's so many other skills a good guard needs to function well that are being sacrificed just to sometimes poke back. Ah well. May be when she hits level 200.

Tyrr

Liturgist
Counter wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so damn expensive as a skill. Teru comes with the un-upgraded version of it for free; I tried making a build for her where she stands out by focusing on countering. It wasn't worth it. It hits hard when it activates, but there's so many other skills a good guard needs to function well that are being sacrificed just to sometimes poke back. Ah well. May be when she hits level 200.
I'm trying to build every tank a bit differently. Teru was meant to be the 'damage tank'. I gave her a big hammer and maxed out counter. Too bad it didn't work.
Maybe you can build her as a hybrid/secondary tank. As in getting all the offensive skills (+counter) and use Ally Guard only in emergencies.

Maxie

tanks suffer from the same healers do - they're all stand-ins for Sachiko/Crook
the absurd amount of variation in fighters off-sets the sameyness of front line

Reinhardt

Arcane
Finished Helman attack mission. That's where i stopped when game released years ago before magnum so now everything will be new for me.

Tyrr

Liturgist
tanks suffer from the same healers do - they're all stand-ins for Sachiko/Crook
the absurd amount of variation in fighters off-sets the sameyness of front line
With healers most of them are at least on a similar power level.
With tanks Sachiko blows everyone else out of the water. That's why I tried different builds with the other tanks. When it comes to pure tanking, Sachiko is so much better than everyone else.

KingDoofus

Scholar
You get some variation from the tanks. Kaloria's skills let her stand out as an offensive tank, generally more than Teru. Teru I try to make use of with the triangle attack with her sisters, lets her hit a little harder sometimes. Kouhime has a reliable poison attack, which no other tank has (great for late game bosses) and team buffing options. But yeah, all this really pales in comparison to warrior variety.

Jason Liang

Arcane
You get some variation from the tanks. Kaloria's skills let her stand out as an offensive tank, generally more than Teru. Teru I try to make use of with the triangle attack with her sisters, lets her hit a little harder sometimes. Kouhime has a reliable poison attack, which no other tank has (great for late game bosses) and team buffing options. But yeah, all this really pales in comparison to warrior variety.
Spartans are the least developed and variable:/

thesecret1

Arcane
I usually hate grinding in games, but somehow don't mind it too much here. There's so much content around that there's always something new to explore after doing a grinding mission, and the various enemies keep things fresh

I just finished the Malgrid dungeon Level 10. Are there any more levels? Level 9 was such bullshit.

Another bs quest was "Lia's attonement". To prgress you need to keep your party average hp <50%. After a dozen of tries I realized that I could do it by just switching in injured characters for the ! events.

As far as the RQM main plot goes I made it past the "Obsidian Princess". Little prick was one-shotting party members, good thing it was a 5 vs 1.

I usually hate grinding in games, but somehow don't mind it too much here. There's so much content around that there's always something new to explore after doing a grinding mission, and the various enemies keep things fresh

Magnum streamlined things a lot really.

In Quest 1.00:
  • Morurun always delevels back to lvl1
  • Character only level once per battle, so you waste zillions of XP when leveling lvl1's. Also only active party got XP
  • No Standby skill, so have fun wasting your Fire Blast on a Hanni
That's what I remember from the top of my head.

RQM has a lot of nice little touches. E.g. the encounter bar at the top, so you can expect when to get a random encounter.

Tyrr

Liturgist
Got my ass kicked by Valkyries during the final quest. I tried to save my best characters for later and picked a too weak party. Valkyries are so fast, even when you switch out dead characters, they kill they new ones before they even get a turn.
Will try again after farming a few more levels.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Should someone write a Codex review for Rance Quest Magnum? Although I assume everyone here that's going to play it are playing it already...

Tyrr

Liturgist
I just finished the Malgrid dungeon Level 10. Are there any more levels? Level 9 was such bullshit.

Another bs quest was "Lia's attonement". To prgress you need to keep your party average hp <50%. After a dozen of tries I realized that I could do it by just switching in injured characters for the ! events.

As far as the RQM main plot goes I made it past the "Obsidian Princess". Little prick was one-shotting party members, good thing it was a 5 vs 1.

Magnum streamlined things a lot really.

In Quest 1.00:
  • Morurun always delevels back to lvl1
  • Character only level once per battle, so you waste zillions of XP when leveling lvl1's. Also only active party got XP
  • No Standby skill, so have fun wasting your Fire Blast on a Hanni
That's what I remember from the top of my head.

RQM has a lot of nice little touches. E.g. the encounter bar at the top, so you can expect when to get a random encounter.
Malgrid dungeon levels 8+ are all have such annoying mechanics. Farming levels/gold/items in 1-7 was fun, from 8 on it became a pain.

KingDoofus

Scholar
Should someone write a Codex review for Rance Quest Magnum? Although I assume everyone here that's going to play it are playing it already...

I mean... I feel like someone should. Codex at least pretends to like the Rance series, putting Sengoku in the top 100. When these games actually come out though, average Codexers turn off either because it's Japanese or has sex in it. Then go replay the Witcher games, which were just, so groundbreaking and mature.

Bunch of fucking Puritans.

KingDoofus

Scholar
Got my ass kicked by Valkyries during the final quest. I tried to save my best characters for later and picked a too weak party. Valkyries are so fast, even when you switch out dead characters, they kill they new ones before they even get a turn.
Will try again after farming a few more levels.

Valkyries can be Assassinated. Was basically how I got past that encounter, multiple Rangers - as an added bonus, Crane gets an Assassination bonus when she's stealthed and can't be targeted by enemies.

A way to get around the character delay after switching is by reviving. Anytime a healer revives a downed unit the turn order gets reset, no matter what a unit's delay was. They have a skill that does something similar if no one is dead (Turn Shuffle), but it's the only realistic way I've found to make switching viable against bosses (and it really helped me against the final boss, basically making me run 2 healers)

Maxie

Who wins:

a) one overleveled Cold Steel Matilda with a demonic sword giving her super edgelord powers

or

b) Assassinate

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom