Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
You know; Rift Wizard reminds me of some games on the TI-99, ZX Spectrum, and C64. It has a sort of charm to it. Tbh, it looks like it could easily be a mobile game. Only random shit I play on my phone is solitaire.

buffalo bill

Arcane
just got my first diamond badge in doomrl, marksman diamond. did it with angel of overconfidence. (edit: accidentally wrote "platinum" badge, selling myself short)

I basically didn't shoot anything (I might literally not have fired once), got a lucky invulnerability on hell 3 that lasted to the mortuary where I got the nuclear BFG. Last level of hell before dis I had 8% health, no healing items, and spawned in a room with the exit stairs and a cacodemon. Ran (with hellrunner 2). Managed to get to the stairs just as the demon was waking up. Edge of my seat. Been trying to win this badge all week in a normal run, but could never get my technician to sharpshooter. Doing it with Overconfidence and basically as a pacifist run feels a little like cheesing, but whatever I got it

doomrl fucking rules

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
The vast mojority of it of it is trivially easy with a summoning/ranged build, and the only enemies that gives you trouble (summoners in certain layouts) are still easy to avoid solong as you're willing to abandon a floor.

I thought part of what made it good was that you could just keep bumping up the difficulty, but ig if you only go for the "best" build and not what you think is fun / interesting then it's a different matter.

anyone know anything about this?

Has one of the best spell systems in any game imo. While not a 1:1 relation, it kinda felt like the traditional roguelike equivalent of Noita to me. Best thing to do would be check out some videos etc. I posted some screenshots of its spell system when it first came out (but keep in mind its had a number of updates since then):

Anyone else given Rift Wizard a go? Sorta reminds me of a more traditional roguelike noita, though more thematic than mechanical in similarity. Very nice aesthetic too, like a tamer version of Qud sprites, and with a lovely uniformity in general. Pretty challenging at that.

You get a ton of different spells (and another page of abilities) to choose from as you go, so it's very much a case of choosing your own build rather than being pigeonholed by RNG.

fAJDqHA.png

The variety and number of spell choices available seems to grow as you continue through the game.

BogOjjI.png

When you clear a level, you get to choose between a series of options for the next one. You can even look at them before choosing it.

GNVEUlS.png

You don't confirm your choice until you actually choose where to spawn in the level.

TQu26yV.png

I don't wanna spoil too much — I could post sooo very many of these — but some of the spells available are really dope.

AmOYWs7.png
34kUUdX.png
xctMY3x.png
hC4C9cG.png
ojkBOSf.png

I guess it's technically what you'd call a coffee-break roguelike, but it has plelnty of challenge in it. Oh, and it has great controls for keyboard and mouse. :) Lots of flexibility.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
You know; Rift Wizard reminds me of some games on the TI-99, ZX Spectrum, and C64. It has a sort of charm to it. Tbh, it looks like it could easily be a mobile game. Only random shit I play on my phone is solitaire.

Idk, I posted it assuming people would be reading it on a desktop or laptop.

Fishy

Savant
Tangledeep just got updated with a new Ronin mode: https://steamcommunity.com/games/628770/announcements/detail/3043843659812963330

In short, no job system, you get randomly assigned a random build (12 actives, 6 passives) that you can then train as before for JP. That includes new skills that were not part of any jobs before. Seems that mode also removes branching.

Also, the author randomly drops in the patchnotes that he's working on two new games including Tangledeep 2.

PrettyDeadman

Rift Wizard is pretty cool. Too bad it has simplistic structure, just a bunch of levels with spawners...

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Isn't actually a roguelike, but dunno where to post.
i assume it works only with controller since you must handle both movement of your character and platform?

why couldn't you use WASD to move and arrow keys to move platforms?
sounds awkward, like playing i am bread with k&m
also properly moving character + platform + attacking and perhaps activating power might not be doable or even more awkward.
Like if you had to press 's' + 'd' to handle movement and hit 'x' or 'c' at the same time

Fired up DCSS on a whim after not having played for a few years, and what the goddamn fuck. They've been at it with a machete it seems. So much stuff getting auto-ID'd, no hunger mechanic at all, etc. The strange thing is their stated goal with DCSS is trying to make it a roguelike you can play without meta-knowledge and can make reasonable decisions without much previous experience, but apparently that means the hunger mechanic deserves the axe but DCSS' obtuse skill system of "Yeah bro you need 12 ranks in weapon skill to reduce your weapon's attack speed to minimum" is still alive and well. Which I'm not really knocking their skill system, it just seems fucking weird that I guess a character burning through satiation faster by regenerating/berserking/whatever is too fiddly but the skill system's fine. Other than feeling confused about shit like that though, still alright. Never been a huge DCSS fiend but once in a while it hits the spot.

Unwanted

jcd

Punished JCD
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria
Fired up DCSS on a whim after not having played for a few years, and what the goddamn fuck. They've been at it with a machete it seems. So much stuff getting auto-ID'd, no hunger mechanic at all, etc. The strange thing is their stated goal with DCSS is trying to make it a roguelike you can play without meta-knowledge and can make reasonable decisions without much previous experience, but apparently that means the hunger mechanic deserves the axe but DCSS' obtuse skill system of "Yeah bro you need 12 ranks in weapon skill to reduce your weapon's attack speed to minimum" is still alive and well. Which I'm not really knocking their skill system, it just seems fucking weird that I guess a character burning through satiation faster by regenerating/berserking/whatever is too fiddly but the skill system's fine. Other than feeling confused about shit like that though, still alright. Never been a huge DCSS fiend but once in a while it hits the spot.
I took a look at the latest changelog recently and this was my impression as well. They're hacking the most fun elements away. Rip Djinns, rip centaurs, rip lava orcs, rip stalkers, death knights and priests. Hunger was involved in like 30% of decision making in this game.

Unwanted

jcd

Punished JCD
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria
The amount you need to eat depends on the species and class. This also makes it fun because different species have different eating restrictions or eat different things (like vampires or trolls or spriggans). Deleting the whole mechanic removes a layer of planning. I don't want the game to be difficult, I want it to be fun. It's fine if difficulty is a part of the fun, but it's not the whole point of the game.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Won Jupiter Hell' on Nightmare. Was hard, and sadly without lucky drop of weapon, capable of gibbing enemies - usually purple one, unique - you won't survive past Callisto.

for reference

2021-04-25-054805.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom