Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs you regret never finishing

Red Hexapus

Learned
I think there are 2 of these for me: Pathfinder Kingmaker and Betrayal at Krondor. I guess I'll get back to then when I find some time. On the opposite site of the spectrum - I really regret paying for and finishing Torment: Numenera...

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
I've never finished the last KotC battle, just when I thought the game was over I saw that bullshit encounter and ragequitted before even giving it a serious try. Now I've lost lost my save. :negative:

xuerebx

Erudite
Pillars of Eternity. Only because I have 79 hours logged but don't remember playing it for so long, and if I did play it for so long there must have been something that I enjoyed in it. But it's RtwP...

jackofshadows

Magister
(my party was uber powerful, in RTwP mode they would just mow down any resistance almost instantly).
Try taking out Stringy Pete next time.
Also kingdom come deliverance, got bored at the monastery but I'll replay it soon enough.
Yeah, the monastery might be a solid stop sign but there're ways to speed things up. IIRC it's even possible to simply leave the monastery therefore fail its quest and continue the main one.

Last edited:

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Also kingdom come deliverance, got bored at the monastery but I'll replay it soon enough.
Yeah, the monastery might be a solid stop sign but there're ways to speed things up. IIRC it's even possible to simply leave the monastery therefore fail its quest and continue the main one.
I just got burned out, spent at least 20 hours looting every shop/guard tower/house in the game including the monastery. It was pathological.

Funposter

Arcane
I just got burned out, spent at least 20 hours looting every shop/guard tower/house in the game including the monastery. It was pathological.
Monastery quest can be solved by just running in and stabbing the correct person if you read spoilers lol.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

You can also just break in and murder the guy. Radzig chews you out, but there isn't any actual consequence.

That said, you can complete the monastery pretty quickly "legit" if you know who you need to speak to and how to progress the quest. It also is a good opportunity to advance some of your non-combat skills.

Xelocix

Learned
Skyrim. I decided to pick it up at a bad time and lost interest due to everything else I was/later felt like playing. It's not impossible that I'll eventually resume my playthrough, but it'll probably be a long ass time before I do so.

jackofshadows

Magister
You can also just break in and murder the guy. Radzig chews you out, but there isn't any actual consequence.

That said, you can complete the monastery pretty quickly "legit" if you know who you need to speak to and how to progress the quest. It also is a good opportunity to advance some of your non-combat skills.
That's exactly what I meant, thanks for elaborating it to Niggerino although apparently he have to take pills for lootwhoring if there will be next time.

It is ironic that the monastery quest could look fucking awesome on paper but some players got completely frustrated by it.

laclongquan

Arcane
Yeah, Prelude to Darkness is also a game I regret not finishing. Buggy at final chapter I think. CTD, cant fix.

Legends of Mana. I get too absorbed into making custom items that at the end I get tired of the whole thing and petered out.

Eastwood

Educated
I've got a bad habit of dropping long RPGs midway. Last year I started playing:
Arcanum - dropped it after I reached Caladon for some reason. Think I got bored of the combat. But I plan on finishing this eventually. Might have to refresh my knowledge of the plot though.
Pathfinder Kingmaker - After I finished the Pitax chapter, I just didn't see a reason to continue on. I didn't find the main story particularly engaging and combat just became tedious after my party became OP. Also I read that house of the end of time is supposed to be the worst part of the game.
Underrail - Dropped my playthrough after the junkyard. I really like this game, but I think I spend more time shopping/crafting/inventory management than actual combat. Think I'll try another run in the near future on a higher difficulty, as my Tin Can AR on normal became too easy too quickly.
NWN Aielund Saga - stopped somewhere during the 4th module, because I felt the plot dragged on for too long.

The infuriating thing is, I spend so much time thinking about and planning out my builds, but never seem to actually finish them.

xuerebx

Erudite
(my party was uber powerful, in RTwP mode they would just mow down any resistance almost instantly).
Try to taking out Stringy Pete next time.

Yeah I stopped at the Monastery too. Couldn't be arsed to adhere to the timing (prayers etc) and then just lost interest. Still, it's a really solid game.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
I regret not finishing Wizardry 8 despite having 1000+ hours in it because I get cool new party ideas every time I reach endgame so I restart.

But ATOM is a great game if you give it some time!
Yeah, I recall liking it actually, I've no idea what came up in my life at the time so I abruptly dropped it. Might've even been the case that I got filtered at one point or another, can't remember for the life of me. But I'll definitely give it another try, seeing that you can apparently import a character into the expansion.

As I understood (Atomboy?) the Trudograd version of the game will be also significantly updated overall comparing to, say, 2019 version (when I was playing it).

Well, Trudograd is a huge improvement on ATOM, but it won't add its glorious additions to ATOM, like graphics, balance, skills, etc. You get to save transfer from Atom to Trudograd but these are different games on pretty different engines nowadays. They're incompatible. We'll bring Trudograd level graphics to ATOM if we ever make some kind of a director's cut anniversary edition in the future, but even that's not a promise! ATOM got real good though.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I rarely finish any games, most of them get boring about 3/4 of the way through, even the short ones. Once I understand a game's mechanics through and through, it doesn't hold much interest for me any more unless the story is interesting and I want to see its resolution. On the other hand if the system is interesting, I'm more liable to start again with different chars/classes to see how they play. For me, it's mainly about the mystery of a new system, the mystery of a new virtual world and its lore, etc. Things are only interesting to me so long as there's still some mystery to penetrate about them. Once I'm in the sausage factory and see how it's made and put together, once the illusion of solidity is gone, that's it.

I remember in particular with The Secret World, for a while, when I was in the illusion of working for the Illuminati, it seemed like the best game ever, but once that petered out and missions became repetitive and recycled, the illusion was shattered and the game became all cardboardey and Potemkin.

One of the rare recent exceptions is PF:K, which I've always really wanted to finish, but kept restarting because building in that game is so fiendishly interesting I kept wanting to try all the things, and mostly got only 3/4 to about 5/6 through with my fave chars. One day ...

The OP is particularly amusing though - I wonder how many people stopped PoE at, or just shortly after, Twin Elms? That happened to me too - interest just fell off a cliff suddenly. I'd bet the same thing happened to lots of people at exactly the same point.

For me, it would be more relevant to note which games I've finished - games like the Shocks, the BGs, the Half Lifes, Deus Ex, DA:O, TW3, etc.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Fate: Gates of Dawn and Dragon Quest VII

I really like both these games. Several times started I playing them with the firm intention of making it to the end. Alas each time at a certain moment I reached a point of pure mental inability to play any further. It was just too much for me. Never have I felt my imperfection more than in these moments of weakness.

Maybe I'll try again in the future.

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Grimoire, never got properly started. Never played a blobber before and kind of hate the old-style UI. Want to try it again sometime.
Also Dark Sun. Got fed up with the UI of that one too. Guess I should go back to it.

Don't regret dumping Numenera at 80% of the way through. DOGSHIT game.
Also never finished Icewind Dale II, got bored of the lizardman spam. No regrets there either.

Inquisitor, though it's somewhat of a cheat because I only arrived in the last chapter when I threw in the towel. Dogshit game. Walls of banal text hitting you for 5000 damage. Great art assets and music though. I'll probably pick it back up someday, masochist that I am.

Ysaye

Arbiter
"Regretting finishing" implies there was something at the end worthy of seeing it through to the end...but I can't think of many RPGs with anything worthy, can anyone?

Maybe back in the day where there was a Honor Board / certificate for finishing a Wizardry or Ultima game? Maybe they should bring that back as a mechanic (I suppose that is what Steam does, but the games are too easy now)?

vazha

Arcane
You... abandoned Inquisitor because its wall of text and not because of its atrocious combat and hordes of trash mobs? That's new.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I guess there were some games I regretted not finishing when I was younger, but I've finished them in more recent years. Games like Dragon Wars, Wizardry 6 and Treasures of the Savage Frontier.
Nowadays I finish all games I start unless I quickly decide they are not worth spending time on.

I quit PoE but I've been wondering why there is an option to state how you feel about it when you sign up for this site. idk it's dogshit after a couple hours, should I play further?

You... abandoned Inquisitor because its wall of text and not because of its atrocious combat and hordes of trash mobs? That's new.

Oh, make no mistake, the combat was terrible. I take issue with most of the text in that game because it's both repetitive and poorly translated. You'll ask a random character about his opinion on something and he'll give you the exact same sentiment as any other random character in a wall of text that's only worded slightly different. The interesting bits are few and far between, but one conversation I remember fondly was what was essentially a Crusade veteran on the upper floor of the Inn in the first town. Cool little nods to history, but I expected more given how lauded the game's story was in the reviews I read.

All in all the game was in dire need of an editor with English as his first language to clean up the sloppy translation. For any newcomers to it, I'd suggest playing through the first chapter if you can stomach it. It was the most reactive and interesting. The subsequent ones were just more of the same, with even worse dungeons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom