Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline RPGs that you regret finishing

Falksi

Arcane
Mine has to be Dragon Age 2.

I really enjoyed Origins, so much so that I managed 6 full playthroughs, and it's story left me wanting more. DA:2 arrived and it was a torturous, painful slog from start to finish, but I kept pushing through it with the hope that some of that "9/10" quality may actually appear. Mostly based on my enjoyment of DA:O

What a fucking waste.

Alphons

Cipher
Inquisitor.

I loved the setting, dialogues and exploring the cities but I dreaded every quest that required me to step outside the city.

Every dungeon felt the same- kill some enemies, pick up loot and then return to town because all my weapons and armor is falling apart. Every few trips would be spiced up by having to buy health and mana potions. And then having to trek through enemies that respawned to the point where I last stopped.

Ending was alright, but wasn't worth all this tedium.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
AoD
it was so shit I actually had to replay to check if I didn't just fail every good quest
second time it was even more shit
052.jpg

barghwata

Savant
I am probably one of the few people that actually managed to finish Pillars of Eternity and it was the worst thing i've ever done, I wouldn't even force my worst enemy to play through that pile of soulless garbage.

And what makes it worst is that the ending of the game was obviously copying and referencing things from Planescape torment, meaning that the writers probably thought they were writing something at the same level......

:0-13:

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Baldur's Gate, such a waste of time, and the thieves' maze is the worst thing i've ever seen in an isometric game. I rarely finish games I don't enjoy (heck, I'm used to drop games that I like once I get bored with their mechanics), but there was so much hype surrounding this AD&D JRPG that I had to force myself till the very end, hoping it would eventually get good. It never did, although it does improve a bit once you get into the main city.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Knights of Legend, maybe. It never got interesting. Even the final fight was cookie cutter encounter design.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Pillars of Eternity. What an absolute bland, disappointing slog. It took me entire game to realize that the only reason I bothered was hearing funny Durance banter.

V_K

Arcane
For me it's less about bad or meh games that I finished because I had nothing better to do (oh, do I miss those times), but more about generally good games that have long frustrating sequences close to the end that don't pay off. Cases in point - Blackguards and Dwarf Run. The former's final chapter is just the same copy-pasted cultists fight over and over again - but being so close to the end made me roll with it although in retrospect I could have just leave it there. The latter's arena chapter is a crime against humanity, but I pushed through it because I mistakenly believed I'd get some more fun content after that. Both ended in disappointment.

Generic-Giant-Spider

but more about generally good games that have long frustrating sequences close to the end that don't pay off.

Kingmaker came very close to fucking everything up to me at the end of it. I ended up giving it a pass because I had more hours in the game where I was genuinely enjoying it than the time when I wanted it to end and was finishing it out of some retarded obligation to myself.

Luckily the endless dungeon DLC they added in means I never have to go beyond the first few chapters again when I want to theorycraft/kill shit.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dragon Age Origins, kinda. I enjoyed it back in the day but when I finished it, I was left with a feeling of exhaustion due to the sheer amount of copypasted filler trash encounters the game made me wade through. It was just too much. Every location in the game had this "let's dump the same encounter in every room of the dungeon" design behind it, absolutely atrocious. It wasn't one specific location that did it to me (many people hate the Derp Roads the most but that's probably because they play them last; the worst area for me was the elven forest with the werewolves cause I did that one last; I guess whichever area you do last is the worst because you're already worn out at that point), it was the sheer amount of boring filler bullshit spread throghout the entire game from start to finish that wore me down.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Risen 2: I used to finish almost every single game until Risen 2. It's 28h of agony taught me that my time is more important than my pride.
Fallout 3: I couldn't believe that this game is so boring after finishing New Vegas: So I constantly forced myself to finish it thinking it had to become better since everyone said it was one of the best games ever.
Nier Automata: The game made me cry tears of joy during the final credits knowing I will never be able to experience this game's for the first time again. :oops:

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Possibly Neverwinter Nights 2 Original Campaign. The whole thing is more interesting than the end "then rock falls, you die".

Sure, sure, it's the hook that lead you to Mask of betrayer. But the hook is out so soon it ruin the bait.

Seriously, they could learn from Baldur's Gate 1. The kidnap happen at the start of BG2, they dont force it on us at the end of Bg1.

Devastator

Learned
IWD2 even though BG1, BG2 and IWD1 are in my top 10 favorite games.

Basically I found chapters 1 and 5 so bad that it made me hate the entire game. After forcing myself through chapter 1, the experience picked up in chapters 2, 3 and 4, and I enjoyed the game. But then by the end of chapter 5 I regretted not dropping it in chapter 1.

It also didn’t help that they reused so many locations. Plus I remember the narrator really getting on my nerves. After that magnificent narrator of IWD1 I was expecting more.

D: OS 2, even though I really liked the combat and it's the verticality (besides the retarded armor system).

The game insists in wasting the player's time with it's dull, conflicted and poorly thought out story, first I started thinking it was strange that Windego (a suposedly important character in the intro of the game), could be easily killed as soon as you've escaped fort joy, but I continued, only to be pretty pissed when out of nowhere the game decided to kill permanently half of the companions without any foreshadowing, but I continued, the rest of the game was pretty much just a series of quests with unsatisfying plots that lead to nowhere, until the ending tried to pull such a terrible plot twist to justify the main antagonists' atrocities in an attempt to make to make them morally grey that I felt insulted and so pissed that I procedeed to attack everyone in the final battle, and the game refused to let two of those important characters die by my hand.

The story in D:OS could be boring and uninspired, but at least it didn't feel ofensive.

Larian should stop trying to cater to storyfags and make a game that is mostly just combat like Xcom (when Divinity: Fallen Heroes was announced I was hopeful, but sadly they canceled it in favor of BG3).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom