Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's settle this once and for all: Fallout 2 or Underrail?

Choose wisely

• Total voters

Rieser

Scholar
Fallout 2 generally, but once in a full moon I turn into a raging combatfag and few games (certainly not Fallout 2) beat Underrail then.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Well, Beth. Fagouts have companions, so they win in YOUR book, right?

Nobody wins in my book.
  • Underrail is a rogue-like, i'm not voting for it.
  • Bethesdouts ... Well, i just checked and i played a total of 1 hours of Bethesda games 30 minutes of Morrowind and 30 minutes of Bethesdout 3. I Enjoyed uninstalling both though, that's something.

Disciple

Savant
  • Underrail is a rogue-like, i'm not voting for it.

How is Underrail a roguelike? No random environment generation, no permadeath, fixed story. Underrail is Fallout minus the companions and with a bigger focus in combat and builds rather than sidequests.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
The fact that Underrail isn't completely curbstomped in a poll against a classic crpg says a lot.
Underrail does a lot of things better than FO2. The most obvious one is combat which isn't even close. Combat is the meat and potatoes of an RPG.
I picked Fallout 2 in the poll, but if I absolutely had to replay either of those games right now I'd go with Underrail. Both games are in my "so good I can't really compare" territory anyways.

This idea that Underrail is a combatfag game is wrong though. It has a lot of story and a good setting, excellent music, interesting characters, etc.,

Codex Year of the Donut
One thing in particular I like about Underrail that's almost a complete exception from similar games is that it didn't try to ape Fallout's humor(and fall flat on its face while doing so.) Rather than being a mediocre Fallout clone they set out to make their own game and succeeded at it.

jackofshadows

Magister
Where's OP is a fag option btw?

Also, have OP played ATOM RPG? I wonder where he'd put it between contenders.

Tigranes

Arcane
"Local man undertakes meticulous encyclopedic comparison of apples and oranges, results inconclusive but vows to try again next year"

reGZ

Novice
well... i remember modding fallout2 with my old pc back in the day. nothin big. just writing the description of weapons and weapons pics in different ways... and then seeing it in the game while i loaded my savefile.
moreover i spent so much hours in it.

my personal taste is fallout2.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thread filled with nostalgia-blinded fanboys that use horrible arguments to defend their dogshit opinions. Underrail has the superior combat, graphics/art style, plot, world building, core game mechanics, and overall writing.

Half the arguments for why FO2 are better are based on "mUh DeAtH aNiMaTiOnS" or "ThE pOoRlY wRiTtEn CoMpAnIoNs MaKe EvErY pLaYtHrOuGh UnIqUe AnD iNtErEsTiNg". What else can you expect when half the forum are NMA rejects.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
you have to actually build out your entire character build before you even begin to play underrail. I think that's kind of lame. I still want to play it sometime though
Not true. If you play normal and follow basic guidelines you can build as you play. Building your character before you play is just something fun that people like to do when trying new builds, and only becomes necessary on the highest difficulty when you're dealing with very subomptimal builds.

Sykar

Arcane
you have to actually build out your entire character build before you even begin to play underrail. I think that's kind of lame. I still want to play it sometime though

Only on Dominating which the game explicitly warns you to be for expert players only. Normal and hard can be played successfully without min/maxing.

Efe

Erudite
how is underrail's story better?
felt to me like he chopped up 2-3 stories he had in mind and put them together like frankenstein's monster.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Thread filled with nostalgia-blinded fanboys that use horrible arguments to defend their dogshit opinions. Underrail has the superior combat, graphics/art style, plot, world building, core game mechanics, and overall writing.

Half the arguments for why FO2 are better are based on "mUh DeAtH aNiMaTiOnS" or "ThE pOoRlY wRiTtEn CoMpAnIoNs MaKe EvErY pLaYtHrOuGh UnIqUe AnD iNtErEsTiNg". What else can you expect when half the forum are NMA rejects.
I agree with you mate. Most of those people have stopped playing rpgs a decade ago and now just shit post and larp as RPG fans. Sadly our hobby suffers from too many posers. I doubt that even half of those people had played underrail.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Trying to say Underrail bests Fallout 2 is like saying a local swimming pool, albeit large, with ice cream booth and nearby cinema is something larger than a month vacation at the sea in a gorgeous resort with cool friends.

True, you can use a swimming pool and it's nice to have it, but it seems to me, some of y'all did way too much vodka lately or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom