Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Cyberdemons, Archviles and Revenants were kind of neutered in the current Doom generation. Others were significantly buffed. My favorite Boomer Shooter enemy is the 2016 Imp. I think their AI was nerfed in Eternal. In 2016, I was playing UN and had very low health. I was in the Foundry and I was running away from an Imp so like the asshole that he is, he jumped to the lowest part of the level and started bombarding me with fireballs. In the same level, a Hell Knight spawns on the other side of the map when you trigger certain events. So he spawned and came right at me across the whole level. I was honestly terrified.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
do you play on low difficulties? Might explain the misunderstanding here because on UV/Nightmare the game always demands you be on your toes, prioritize certain targets (e.g pain elementals need to be stopped else endless lost souls), dodge attacks, learn the AI behaviour, keep moving, look for weaknesses etc.
Finished the game on UV.
I know how the game works, I dare say I am (well, was, when I played) rather good at it - and that was with a mouse seriously unsuited for that kind of game. Pretty sure I could finish it on Nightmare, but also don't feel like it at all due to my gripes with the game (not only marauders, as they are actually rather rare in the main campaign).

God forbid a game change up any kind of pacing or introduce any kind of demanding challenge.
The Marauder is not a challenge, you goddamn fucking moron. I don't know how often this has to be said to you to get it into your skull.
Making your whole whiny bitching entirely pointless.

It is a change of pace, yes. But not one I find enjoyable in the slightest.

"Dancing around them" is the point, and it is supposed to be fun. Many of us find it thrilling.
Great for you.
But - very obviously - for a lot of people it isn't fun. At all. It is something so annoying it contributes to not wanting to play the game again, or its DLCs.
Which you and others keep on - due to sheer stupidity or knowingly as a strawman, I don't know - seeing as "it's too difficult".

I was not challenged by a marauder a single time - once I understood how to deal with them.
Pretty much every situation in the game other than an empty room is more challenging than a marauder. They aren't challenging with others in the room, either, you just have to avoid them which isn't an issue as being in constant motion is essential in the game anyway. A marauder merely determines the direction of that motion away from him, which is annoying but not hard.
Maybe they are actually a challenge to you, at least you keep on saying that there's more to them then their stupid "hit me now" gimmick. Maybe defeating one gave you that good feeling like a "well done!" pat on the back. Never felt like that to me, I was always only glad I could get back to the enjoyable parts of the game, so.... maybe stop projecting?

difficulty can easily be misconstrued as "a nuisance".
Yes, by idiots. You really do need to stop projecting.

A difficulty is something that actually demands something difficult to do of you. Which you can actually fail at. I'd put most of Doom Eternal's larger battles in the final third of the game (on UV) down as difficult. With the notable exception of marauders, as they do not require you to do anything difficult at all.
A nuisance is something that you have to do in order to proceed, but that doesn't pose any challenge or fun at all. Walking from A to B in games without quick travel while nothing at all happens or could potentially happen comes to mind. All that it requires is the spending of time to get through it and there is no possibility of failure. Huh. Pretty much like marauders...

"Mini-bosses"... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

KateMicucci

Arcane
The only combat that I struggled with on UV was the last (i think?) fight of the DLC with the possessed pain elemental and cyber hell knight. Which still wouldn't have been so hard if the arena itself wasn't the worst in the game.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Only thing I don't like about the combat is how easy it is to disable the iconic abilities of demons. I like the mechanic, but I feel it should require a number of monsters killed before you are able to disable their weapons such as killing 30 Revenants before being able to blow off their cannons. You get 5 points each time you pick up lore about the demons. The first time you encounter a demon should sort of be a mini-boss event.

HansDampf

Arcane
What's the released date for The Ancient Gods Part 2?
18th of March?

Also: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/m443b4/doom_eternal_the_ancient_gods_part_2_dlc_will/
EDIT: the tweaks related to the game in general will be free of course.

EDIT2: The leaked Italian teaser trailer says the release of the full trailer will be the 17th of March so will see if the website updates its infos about the release date or not.

The released date has been announced here, however some of the screenshots might spoil the content a bit if you want to go in blind. Here are some of the tweaks coming with next update (taken from id software weekly streams):

• A new optional, close to crosshair mini-hud that will let your know your: nades, bloodpunch, mod, health, armor status. The devs says that once you try it you will likely not go back to original hud as this new one is "so much better and it is customizable"
  • A new option for console/pc players to lower and customize the delay on the selection wheel to make weapon quick switch faster.
  • The Bloodpunch bug is finally fixed so it will now register more consistently...Now you have no excuse for not attempting your Ultra Nightmare run....
  • The NoTarget bug should be fixed too.
  • They are tweaking the Last Slayer Gate on the TAG part 1 to make it slightly easier and also may be tweaking the whole part 1 DLC so the pacing is better.
  • They are also still working on the Invasion mode (human controlled demons in your campaign), more Master Levels, ranked Battlemode and also more content later in 2021 that they refered as "some other modes that people want..."
  • If you're on pc there are already so many mods on Nexxus, like master levels, master campaign or even the latest Trial of The Dark Lord modplaying the gamemany more studios
Best part is the Bloodpunch fix. That shit was annoying. Separate keys for ice and frag would also be nice, please? So many wasted grenades...

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Can we kill zombies with regular punches again?

So frikking annoying that you couldn't. Like, who gives a shit it's not like it provides any strategic value to be forced to waste ammo on them.

copebot

Learned
Marauders are hard if you don't understand weapon switching to skip the animations. They are really easy (even the totem ones on Nightmare/UN) if you use/abuse weapon switching. There are more advanced ways to do it, but the simple way to handle them is super shotty / ballista / super shotty and then do it again on a second cycle.

There are two enemies that are the scariest for me that have ended my UN runs the most often: shield guys and cacodemons, especially in the first few maps. It's not because they're hard in normal circumstances, but because if they sneak up on you and you don't expect them, you just die. Almost every other enemy can be dealt with or evaded if they sneak up on you in close quarters.

Last edited:

Kainan

Learned
At least he's true to his promise, as dumb as it is.

I'll be blunt: if the other option was NuWolf with ghoulish Anne Frank in the zombie expansion and the dreadful New Colossus, it's better that we got a silly Doom.

Yes, there will always be the "Doom 1 was achsually a horror game you see!" crowd but, for a moment, let us think if a NuDoom of NuWolf characteristics would be a preferable option.

Eternal is a complete shitheap narratively, but it gives you interesting stuff to shoot at and interesting locales to shoot in. That's.... good enough. For now.
Exactly. I'd rather Doom try to be some Warhammer 40k knockoff then whatever the flying fuck Wolfenstein has turned into.

This is the alternative:

No more needs to be said really.

I dont see how this new Doom is better than that. Its just retarded in a different way?
And if you scroll the comments of the video people say stuff like "the baby will be doomguy", "doomguys parents" etc.
So even to them its all the same shit.

Caim

Arcane
This is the alternative:

No more needs to be said really.

I dont see how this new Doom is better than that. Its just retarded in a different way?
And if you scroll the comments of the video people say stuff like "the baby will be doomguy", "doomguys parents" etc.
So even to them its all the same shit.

Their youngest child, Arthur Blazcowicz, will go on to father William J. Blazcowicz II, aka Billy Blaze or otherwise known as Commander Keen. Billy Blaze in turn fathers twins, who were set to appear in the cursed mobile game before it was scrapped. If you look at the pictures on the wall in the video you see pictures of the twins' great-grandfather, B.J. Blazcowicz, as well as their great-aunts, chucklefuck mcgee 1 and chucklefuck mcgee 2 from the shitty Youngblood game. But if the whole "B.J. Blazcowicz III is Doomguy" thing still holds up, then this would mean that the Doom Slayer has a twin sister.

But the Doom timeline is all fucked up so I wouldn't put much faith in it anyway.

Marauders are hard if you don't understand weapon switching to skip the animations. They are really easy (even the totem ones on Nightmare/UN) if you use/abuse weapon switching. There are more advanced ways to do it, but the simple way to handle them is super shotty / ballista / super shotty and then do it again on a second cycle.

Always kind of hated the weapon switching to increase DPS thing. You basically have to do it to make Marauders bearable, but the fact that you can do it for 95% of the game makes it feel spastic if you want to tryhard.

There are two enemies that are the scariest for me that have ended my UN runs the most often: shield guys and cacodemons, especially in the first few maps. It's not because they're hard in normal circumstances, but because if they sneak up on you and you don't expect them, you just die. Almost every other enemy can be dealt with or evaded if they sneak up on you in close quarters.

Yep, same ones I have a problem with. Shield guys just appear as you round a corner and take off a full stack of health and armor in 2s, cacodemons have that very powerful melee charge thing.

Last edited:

HansDampf

Arcane

Always kind of hated the weapon switching to increase DPS thing. You basically have to do it to make Marauders bearable, but the fact that you can do it for 95% of the game makes it feel spastic if you want to tryhard.
It's an intended mechanic and explained in loading screen tips.

It's an intended mechanic and explained in loading screen tips.

Being intended doesn't make it good or desirable. It takes away from the distinctiveness of each weapon and the strategic choice of what to deploy when the ideal method is to disregard both in order to increase DPS, because even using an inefficient weapon is always a good idea if its "free" timewise (and ammo is never a concern since you are splitting your consumption and get showered in it constantly). In real OG DOOM there's a reason weapon switching takes time, it's because otherwise your choice of weapon isn't actually much of a choice if you aren't temporarily locked into it.

HansDampf

Arcane
The Ballista has its uses on its own. Being a viable combo weapon just adds more functionality. Not every weapon is viable. Heavy Cannon with sniper mod would be the third. You could treat the SGG+Ballista combo almost as another weapon or another tool at your disposal. And it's fun to rip through Marauders and Hell Knights with it quickly.
I've also played Doom WADs with instant weapon switch (not fast, instant) which also allows for various weapon combos. And UV difficulty was designed with combos in mind, throwing demons in such high numbers at the player that you pretty much have to use them to survive. Can't really say it took anything away from the weapons. It's just a different style of gameplay.

Caim

Arcane
I heard the DLC is cheap interms of difficulty? Worth?
Part 1 is the Thy Flesh Consumed of Doom Eternal. It's quite a bit more difficult than the base game yes, but it's more on the dickish side of difficulty rather than being cheap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom