Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Loop Hero

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
It kind of is, but it depends on character class. Rogues are not very RNG, because all they really need is a decent base amulet and weapons, and you typically won't fail to get that (modifiers barely matter in these slots).
most rng involved with rogue are early cards. What you are looking for is snowball effects for card farming, preferably plenty of spiders. Depending on you luck you can spawn boss 2/3 loops earlier. More enemies also mean better items. With steady income of items I usually wait with boss spawn until I get weapons 2 lvls over mine, honestly it usually means waiting just 1 extra loop

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It kind of is, but it depends on character class. Rogues are not very RNG, because all they really need is a decent base amulet and weapons, and you typically won't fail to get that (modifiers barely matter in these slots).
most rng involved with rogue are early cards. What you are looking for is snowball effects for card farming, preferably plenty of spiders. Depending on you luck you can spawn boss 2/3 loops earlier. More enemies also mean better items. With steady income of items I usually wait with boss spawn until I get weapons 2 lvls over mine, honestly it usually means waiting just 1 extra loop
Maybe? But I always play with bookery and getting to cycle 9 bad cards per turn basically negates any card rng (and the odds of not drawing bookery and not drawing good monster cards is fairly slim).

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
My imaginary cat walked all over my keyboard and as a result I visited the Watch by total accident. Found their comments amusing, they're slowly but surely approaching the dark Codex side:

RPG Watch said:
Wow, those developers must be very well connected.

The power of media in a world of brainless masses. This game isn't beautiful, innovative or even great at anything. It's a little autobattle game that belongs more to something you code in a couple weeks to upload on a flash game site or a mobile phone app, but it got advertised and a couple somewhat known streamers picked it up and people without power to make decisions for themselves will buy it.

The more relevant aspect is probably the publishers, Devolver Digital, who are currently riding the populist wave after that weird popular party game Fall Guys went viral. Their Steam profile has 175k followers & they're on a roll I guess.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
He's not wrong, that sandy cunt. Marketing makes a lot of these games, including the enjoyment that some people get out of them by the imitation factor. Humans function by imitating, it eases them into pleasure and pain. When you see the "overwhelmingly positive" tag on Steam, you think that shit is going to be great. You can't help thinking it even if you don't like it that much. If many people liked it, it must mean that... but we're immune to this on Good Taste Codex. We're all individuals, including the little pricks that do one-liners every post. Those fuckoes are Rpgwatch, fuck 'em. There's a thread with them contemplating with joy that more and more people are getting into "our genre" (rpgs). Gives me conniptions

Infinitum

Scholar
It's a nice little timewaster until you figure out what breaks it wide open. Shame on how simplistic and non-interactive the worldbuilding is though; would love to see a similar concept in something more fleshed out.

Villagkouras

Arcane
I played it all the time until I beat the first boss and haven't touched it since, with no intention to come back at all.

Latelistener

Arcane
I've been stuck in Act II thinking about what am I doing wrong, then read somewhere that you need Necromancer. Unlocked it and completed from the first try without even understanding much about the class. Either I was extremely lucky or the balance is not really good.

Those bonuses from furniture items you can find like +5 Defense or +1 HP are so bland it's painful. I don't even know why they are in the game. They don't provide much at this point and could have been easily replaced with other more interesting mechanics.

Also I was better off not placing most cards at all, reducing my pool to a minimum, since usually they will hurt you more than you gain from them.

Overall, "Overwhelmingly Positive" is a far stretch for this game in my opinion. It's good, just not that good.

Metronome

Learned
I did act 2 with a rogue. You need to get very high attack speed to deal with the mirrors. The 2nd boss still is the most bullshit of them all though. The next ones aren't so bad. I also use to not place many cards but you need enemies to fight for the item drops. If you play too cautiously you gimp yourself and are left wondering why you are underpowered. Early on the warrior does best with large numbers of enemies due to his higher endurance iirc.

Some of it just boils down to the game expecting you to grind for a better camp though.

Latelistener

Arcane
Well fuck me I also completed Act III after that with Necro on the first try. I think this class simply owns the game.

Those orbs that require you to fight at least 4 enemies is complete bullshit though. You need 10 of them for Warehouse and 15 for River. This game should've ended already, but here you are, grinding for resources.

Drew

Savant
Those orbs that require you to fight at least 4 enemies is complete bullshit though. You need 10 of them for Warehouse and 15 for River. This game should've ended already, but here you are, grinding for resources.
DO a couple runs with vampire houses placed next to villages and you'll have more of those than you know what to do with.

Metronome

Learned
Yeah, you have to figure out a way to get those deliberately. Usually you need a tile with 4 enemies and a bonus one. The bonus one can be a book, watcher, or vampire. Weaker enemies like spiders work best for the 4.

My way is this. Place a few spider nests in range of your camp crossbows and place vampire mansions so that a vampire will spawn with the spiders. I usually add swamp tiles underneath the connected road so that mosquitos will fill in any gaps to get 5 total enemies. If you can squeeze a guard post in nearby it helps with soaking up some of the damage. Damage is typically pretty light due to the frailty of the monsters though.

A few of these set up will get you several expansion orbs each loop. They will also seriously get in the way of the Lich's palace spawns during the final chapter.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I enjoy this game welll enough, but ... it's just so slow, even on x2 game speed. Is there any way to unofficially speed it up without breaking some other thing, or should I just wait for patches?

Antigoon

Augur
When did they change that? I played it last a few days ago and it was still working on 4x speed.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
DO a couple runs with vampire houses placed next to villages and you'll have more of those than you know what to do with.
also do get watchtowers and place crowds next to your village. Its good not just for orbs farming

Antigoon

Augur
Might be because of my version of Cheat Engine as well. It worked on release but very soon after that it broke.
Cheat engine? Just try to edit the ini. Someone posted that ITT, it worked for me.

Acrux

Arcane
Yeah, in variables just change gamespeed from 60 to whatever you want. 120 is 2x speed, etc.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I think this game is 3/5, not mediocre, solid but not stardom. Like, game that were made an masse before, and then AAA titles destroyed them all.
Though, it's not surprising it got high prises today, in age of shitty game (and oter products of culture).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom