Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's settle this once and for all: Fallout 2 or Underrail?

Choose wisely

• Total voters

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Thread filled with nostalgia-blinded fanboys that use horrible arguments to defend their dogshit opinions. Underrail has the superior combat, graphics/art style, plot, world building, core game mechanics, and overall writing.

Half the arguments for why FO2 are better are based on "mUh DeAtH aNiMaTiOnS" or "ThE pOoRlY wRiTtEn CoMpAnIoNs MaKe EvErY pLaYtHrOuGh UnIqUe AnD iNtErEsTiNg". What else can you expect when half the forum are NMA rejects.

Fallout 1 >>>>>>> Underrail >> Fallout 2

Happy now?

Mortmal

Arcane
They are too different to really compare . Dont say fallout 2 is for story fags, underrail can beat it story wise too . There's plenty to please a storyffag like me .It has very consistent lore , excellent world design memorable npcs especially with the expedition i,mproving the game .If underrail had companions it would be even better of course .
Combat is clearly superior now, there's lot of discussion about builds, there's not nearly as much to do in fallout 1-2 . That does not mean its shit, its less complex than underrail. There's companions in fallout 2 but it's not like the fights are that tactical even with them.

Now Fallout 2 may be more enjoyable , as underrail requires ton of meta knowledge and is a quick reload fest. Some passage are a slog with heavy hp enemies and require min mxed builds, with crafted items , to cope. That or a massive swarm of enemies you need to kill in the first two rounds. First underrail playthough may not be enjoyable i dont remember any frustrating part in fallout 2 .

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
They are too different to really compare . Dont say fallout 2 is for story fags, underrail can beat it story wise too . There's plenty to please a storyffag like me .It has very consistent lore , excellent world design memorable npcs especially with the expedition i,mproving the game .If underrail had companions it would be even better of course .
Combat is clearly superior now, there's lot of discussion about builds, there's not nearly as much to do in fallout 1-2 . That does not mean its shit, its less complex than underrail. There's companions in fallout 2 but it's not like the fights are that tactical even with them.

Now Fallout 2 may be more enjoyable , as underrail requires ton of meta knowledge and is a quick reload fest. Some passage are a slog with heavy hp enemies and require min mxed builds, with crafted items , to cope. That or a massive swarm of enemies you need to kill in the first two rounds. First underrail playthough may not be enjoyable i dont remember any frustrating part in fallout 2 .

Fallout has turn based combat while Underrail has one-turn combat :)

Mortmal

Arcane

Fallout has turn based combat while Underrail has one-turn combat :)
Indeed but there's lot of things to customize that only turn of combat :)

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron

I'm sorry, combat is what in Fallout?

Did you mean the part where YOU are able to point at some randomly chosen enemy in the distance, click shoot once per turn, and then bicker about how it didn't proc and then getting killed? Or are we talking about the part where EVERYBODY ELSE was able to shoot off enemies legs by two snipers, save up APs with the berserk glove guy in hiding round the corner, waiting until they limp up close to him, and then rush three crit-kills per round with a power glove? Or where high leadership gives numerous bonuses to the party? Or having heavy-armored dudes addicted to drugs, doped with psychos before the fight not minding anything or anyone and obliterating everything in their path, but in seerius need of a doctor after the fight? Or... or... or... or...

Oh yea, I forgot in Underrail u can like, uh uh, lay traps. Sometimes. Then, with the single PC you have in party like... point a weapon and click. Uh uh. Once per turn. Maybe twice, uh ah. Maybe use a skill every now and then, uh uh. So kewl. So skill. So cummplex.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
And clearly, Underrail has 5-7 different approaches to almost any quest, and several outcomes of it, and karma-like building state of the world according to your actions right? Oh, you got me there. Moar cummplex :D Damn I got so triggered by this nonsense.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent

Happy now?
That's a good start.
Now say that Underrail is better than Fallout 1.
Oh yea, I forgot in Underrail u can like, uh uh, lay traps. Sometimes. Then, with the single PC you have in party like... point a weapon and click. Uh uh. Once per turn. Maybe twice, uh ah. Maybe use a skill every now and then, uh uh. So kewl. So skill. So cummplex.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Last edited:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Very lame, mate.

Fallout 2 has several potent builds, but they differ only in means of offense.

Sniper build. Max PER, max AG, optionally max LUCK (not necessary since eyeshot gives you +60% to crit chance, I played snipers with 1 LUCK). The goal is to shoot as much as possible per turn and deal a lot of damage per crit while staying as far as possible from bad guys.
Full-auto build. Max AG and LUCK, ignore aimed shots. The goal is to burst as much as possible while critting with every burst. Takes longer to come online but is disgustingly OP once it does. You'll need high STR for heavy weapons, though; SMGs become very frustrating later in the game.
Close-encounter builds, melee or unarmed are very similar so they don't differ much. Once again, max AG, max STR and have better END. Melee builds are inferior to ranged ones since you need to get close to enemies and you will take more damage.

There's no difference in means of defense. All those builds will come up to PA with which you become very tanky, there's no shields and dodging is largely irrelevant. There's no difference in terms of mobility: you always want to have 10 AG and pick up those Bonus Moves and Action Boys. Stealth is available to all those builds and makes them even more powerful.

Underrail, in turn, has build varieties for every weapon class, and several paths within each of that classes (for example, full-crit AR or base damage AR). Underrail has differences in means of defense (dodging, tanking, shields, PSI-defenses, or even smart planning). Underrail has different approaches to mobility: tanky build with 0 MP or highly mobile builds. If anything, Underrail introduces more variety to offense, but also affects defense and mobility. There's no glass cannon builds in Fallout, but plenty of them in Underrail.

Some things are constant in Fallout. You always want to have 10 AG and maximum of perks augmenting it. You always want to have the best armor available. You can always invest in stealth to be even more unstoppable. The choice of guns is not important as well. Full-auto build will always come from SMGs to ARs to miniguns or Bozar. Sniper build will come from Hunting rifle to Sniper Rifle to Gauss, Pulse or Turboplasma.

Ironically, Sonora is the first game using Fallout engine that makes difference between pistol or rifle using sniper builds and SMG or AR using full-auto builds.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Very lame, mate.

Sniper build. Max PER, max AG, optionally max LUCK (not necessary since eyeshot gives you +60% to crit chance, I played snipers with 1 LUCK). The goal is to shoot as much as possible per turn and deal a lot of damage per crit while staying as far as possible from bad guys.
Full-auto build. Max AG and LUCK, ignore aimed shots. The goal is to burst as much as possible while critting with every burst. Takes longer to come online but is disgustingly OP once it does. You'll need high STR for heavy weapons, though; SMGs become very frustrating later in the game.
Close-encounter builds, melee or unarmed are very similar so they don't differ much. Once again, max AG, max STR and have better END. Melee builds are inferior to ranged ones since you need to get close to enemies and you will take more damage.

There's no difference in means of defense. All those builds will come up to PA with which you become very tanky, there's no shields and dodging is largely irrelevant. There's no difference in terms of mobility: you always want to have 10 AG and pick up those Bonus Moves and Action Boys. Stealth is available to all those builds and makes them even more powerful.

Underrail, in turn, has build varieties for every weapon class, and several paths within each of that classes (for example, full-crit AR or base damage AR). Underrail has differences in means of defense (dodging, tanking, shields, PSI-defenses, or even smart planning). Underrail has different approaches to mobility: tanky build with 0 MP or highly mobile builds. If anything, Underrail introduces more variety to offense, but also affects defense and mobility. There's no glass cannon builds in Fallout, but plenty of them in Underrail.

Some things are constant in Fallout. You always want to have 10 AG and maximum of perks augmenting it. You always want to have the best armor available. You can always invest in stealth to be even more unstoppable. The choice of guns is not important as well. Full-auto build will always come from SMGs to ARs to miniguns or Bozar. Sniper build will come from Hunting rifle to Sniper Rifle to Gauss, Pulse or Turboplasma.

Ironically, Sonora is the first game using Fallout engine that makes difference between pistol or rifle using sniper builds and SMG or AR using full-auto builds.
Ahh you are talking with a retard that never played underrail,he is just butthurt because it is a better game than fallout. I doubt that he had even replayed it of late. He is just butthurt that people could outgrow their teen years and don't constantly look back at them as something amazing. It is just nostalgia butthurt.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Very lame, mate.

Ahh you are talking with a retard that never played underrail,he is just butthurt because it is a better game than fallout. I doubt that he had even replayed it of late. He is just butthurt that people could outgrow their teen years and don't constantly look back at them as something amazing. It is just nostalgia butthurt.
I don't say it cannot be better for you. No accounting for tastes. But you are spreading misinformation so profound no god of complexity would pardon you.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Very lame, mate.

Several potential... niche one PC game moar complex then Fallout... you know what? Next time you like your bike more then an airplane, go tell others it's bigger, faster and generally more complex because you can ride it several times a month. You are totally right. All of you. Sure :D

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Several potential... niche one PC game moar complex then Fallout... you know what? Next time you like your bike more then an airplane, go tell others it's bigger, faster and generally more complex because you can ride it several times a month. You are totally right. All of you. Sure :D
I assume Fallout is the bike in this comparison?

gruntar

Augur
Combat and crafting are the only things that Underrail did better than Fallout 2. Story, characters and factions are forgettable, and some design decisions, like forcing the player to backtrack a lot combined with respawnig same enemies are gamebraking for me. Decent game, but after spending 70 hours on it few years ago I have no desire to play it again.

Risewild

Arbiter
Very well. Let's settle this once and for all:

Codex:
  1. Fallout 2 - 123 votes
  2. Underrail - 55 votes
Steam:
  1. Fallout 2 - 95%
  2. Underrail - 87%
GOG:
  1. Fallout 2 - Verified Owners 4.6★ Overall rating 4.7★
  2. Underrail - Verified Owners 4★ Overall rating 4.3★
Metacritic:
  1. Fallout 2 - User Score 9.1
  2. Underrail - User Score 7.8

Today, Fallout 2 wins.

urmom

Learned
I actually like the Underrail setting more than FO2. It's more sci-fi than Fallout. It's hard to find good sci-fi games. Maybe in 1999 the opposite was true. But today the desert wasteland setting has been done to death, just like zombie settings and WWII settings. :yawn:

Last edited:

Risewild

Arbiter
Let me continue my ratings search:

Glitchwave:
  1. Fallout 2 - 4.28
  2. Underrail - 3.92
Gamespot:
  1. Fallout 2 - User Rating 9.2
  2. Underrail - User Rating 8.4
Gry-online.pl:
  1. Fallout 2 - 9.0
  2. Underrail - 7.5
Gamekult.com:
  1. Fallout 2 - 9.1
  2. Underrail - 8
I have no idea where to get ratings anymore, I am already scraping the bottom of the barrel by having a Polish and a French site in here. If anyone tells me sites where players can rate games, I will go and add those here too.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thread filled with nostalgia-blinded fanboys that use horrible arguments to defend their dogshit opinions. Underrail has the superior combat, graphics/art style, plot, world building, core game mechanics, and overall writing.

Half the arguments for why FO2 are better are based on "mUh DeAtH aNiMaTiOnS" or "ThE pOoRlY wRiTtEn CoMpAnIoNs MaKe EvErY pLaYtHrOuGh UnIqUe AnD iNtErEsTiNg". What else can you expect when half the forum are NMA rejects.

Happy now?
Fallout 1 suffers even greater than Fallout 2 does imo, as it just doubles down on the writing and atmosphere, which while nice, does nothing to make up for the gap in everything else which is wider between FO1 and Underrail than between FO2 and Underrail.

I love how a ton of people will shit on storyfags and traditionally storyfag games like PS:T or DE, but than turn around and cite storyfag elements to explain why their favorite game is better than Underrail.
Even the people that prefer FO2 to Underrail acknowledge it's super combat and large variety of tactical depth. Also, there are many quests and dungeons in Underrail that do have a shit ton different approaches when it comes to solving them. The entire Oculus quest line, all the Expedition dungeons, DC, and so on. You've obviously never played the game so shut the fuck up.

Newfags get worse every fucking year.
Combat and crafting are the only things that Underrail did better than Fallout 2. Story, characters and factions are forgettable, and some design decisions, like forcing the player to backtrack a lot combined with respawnig same enemies are gamebraking for me. Decent game, but after spending 70 hours on it few years ago I have no desire to play it again.
While Fallout 2 did have some interesting characters and factions, they are almost all outshone by the locations and characters in Underrail. In FO2 you're essentially shat out of Arroyo and told to go find some magical macguffin. You never have a reason to go back to Arroyo once you're gone, and there is no reason to give a fuck about Arroyo once the Enclave captures your village. Contrast that with Underrail, which actually builds your relationship with your home station, and gives it a strong identity, which in turn makes all the other factions more memorable as you are able to compare all the differences and similarities between them. Combine that with the superior writing, and there really isn't a comparison. You claim FO2 is more memorable, so I'd like to ask how old you are and when you played FO2 versus when you played Underrail. I'm sure this will be good.
Very well. Let's settle this once and for all:
Kill yourself.
Steam:
  1. Witcher 3 - 98%
  2. Fallout 2 - 94%
GOG:
  1. Witcher 3 - Verified Owners 4.6★ Overall rating 4.9★
  2. Fallout 2 - Verified Owners 4.6★ Overall rating 4.7★
Metacritic:
  1. Witcher 3 - User Score 9.4
  2. Fallout 2 - User Score 9.1
Gamespot:
  1. Witcher 3 - User Rating 9.3
  2. Fallout 2 - User Rating 9.2
According to your logic, the popamole shit stain that is Witcher 3 is the superior game to FO2. Or perhaps you'd like me to compare Oblivion or Skyrim to FO2 next? Imagine thinking mainstream reviews are some sort of metric for determining whether or not one game is better than another.

gruntar

Augur
While Fallout 2 did have some interesting characters and factions, they are almost all outshone by the locations and characters in Underrail. In FO2 you're essentially shat out of Arroyo and told to go find some magical macguffin. You never have a reason to go back to Arroyo once you're gone, and there is no reason to give a fuck about Arroyo once the Enclave captures your village. Contrast that with Underrail, which actually builds your relationship with your home station, and gives it a strong identity, which in turn makes all the other factions more memorable as you are able to compare all the differences and similarities between them. Combine that with the superior writing, and there really isn't a comparison. You claim FO2 is more memorable, so I'd like to ask how old you are and when you played FO2 versus when you played Underrail. I'm sure this will be good.

Steam says I finished playing in Jan 2016. Think of it, it's amazing how little I remember from that playthrough. The only npcs I remember are Dude and that barbarian king, and only because how ridiculously cringy they were. It's worth noting how funny it is that Fallout 2 gets relentlessly shat on for every detail deemed unworthy, while this game gets free pass for its bad parts. The only faction I can name is Protectorate, but can't say anything about them other that they were some kind of militarists. The gameworld and lore simply didn't grab me enough to put effort to research any of it. I remember combat being fun, played crossbow/throwing build that used traps. Stopped playing after completing settlement with gladiator arena in it.

Again, I don't think Underrail is a bad game, it's amazing for a game made mostly by one man. I'm aware that there is a small, but dedicated group of zealots here with a goal of elevating it to a classic status, and maybe you will, maybe you wont, I wish you well with that. Before you get too butthurt, remember, that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Risewild

Arbiter
Kill yourself.
Steam:
  1. Witcher 3 - 98%
  2. Fallout 2 - 94%
GOG:
  1. Witcher 3 - Verified Owners 4.6★ Overall rating 4.9★
  2. Fallout 2 - Verified Owners 4.6★ Overall rating 4.7★
Metacritic:
  1. Witcher 3 - User Score 9.4
  2. Fallout 2 - User Score 9.1
Gamespot:
  1. Witcher 3 - User Rating 9.3
  2. Fallout 2 - User Rating 9.2

According to your logic, the popamole shit stain that is Witcher 3 is the superior game to FO2. Or perhaps you'd like me to compare Oblivion or Skyrim to FO2 next? Imagine thinking mainstream reviews are some sort of metric for determining whether or not one game is better than another.
Someone's butthurt by the truth. :lol:

Comparing games from different genres is not the same as comparing games from the same genre.
Of course people who prefer real time action games will rate Witcher 3 high. They are different types of players and the games are different too. I bet most Witcher 3 players never even played Fallout 2.

Now, comparing Underrail and Fallout 2 ratings is legit, since they are both turn based cRPGs and the people who play one will usually have played the other too (specially since Underrail is advertised in a lot of places as a spiritual successor of classic Fallout games).

Your logic is shit and you're just deflecting the fact that turn based cRPG players prefer Fallout 2. So instead of deflecting and ignoring the fact, or maybe just being a total idiot that starts telling people smarter then themselves to commit suicide, try to use your brain for once and actually think things through, before posting.

Now, go drool in a corner or whatever you do for fun.
:shitposting:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom