Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rance Series

Tyrr

Liturgist
This is one of the funniest games I've ever played. It actually makes me laugh out loud on a regular basis
Also surprisingly wholesome every time Reset appears. Didn't expect that in a Rance game. She is the best (new) character in Quest.

thesecret1

Arcane
There are quests connected to some of the unique drops. Just saw the one for Emperor's Armor and it was the funniest shit ever. This sort of thing is what keeps the grind bearable – there's always some new content to freshen things, be it some girl reachin high enough level to do the Day in Cidade quest, or some rare drop that provides a new quest, etc.

Tyrr

Liturgist
I thought Pastel was amusing. The Wile E. Coyote of the Rance universe.
Like when she had the perfect anti-men setup, but then Crook comes and leaves her naked.

edit:
Everything she does fails spectacularly and/or backfires. Even her curse that started everything: not only makes it Rance immune to her death curse, in the end it also encourages him to raise a high level waifu army.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So what's the best way to try and farm up some jewels? I feel like I need a lot of them or I will miss out on lots of content.

Tyrr

Liturgist
So what's the best way to try and farm up some jewels? I feel like I need a lot of them or I will miss out on lots of content.
They can drop when the game roles a rare item. So in any chest that has random loot. I had some luck doing quest #73. There are always 2-3 unlocked chests in Ralgas hideout. And you can finish the quest very fast.
Don't forget to trade in jewels. You can always have one, so they don't drop if you already have one.

Magrid dungeon drops them often.
And in one of the levels I believe you will be getting several +5 Forbidden talent chests

thesecret1

Arcane
What is your main party? Mine is Sachiko, Rance, Suzume/Kanami (depending on who I feel needs more XP), Sel, and Aten Gnu. Secondary party is Team Uesugi paired with Crook and Alkanese

Tyrr

Liturgist
Rance, Sachiko, Alkanese (I buffed her stun, so she is great damage+cc), Kanami/Suzume/Crane and Magic/Shizuka/Aegis.

With Sachiko I don't need a healer unless I encounter a lot of AE damage or fight a boss (buff her HP, the self heal is %-based). In these cases switch the Ranger for Crook or Sel.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Rance, Tilde (Hammer build), the two Kenshin retainers and a flex slot. Swap out the Retainers for boss fights for characters like Kenshin.

Maybe I'm overleveled, but I don't stress much about teams.

I keep Rance on in most dungeons and keep him fresh with Atago's dance. Brutal attack will deal with any group boss fights. I usually bring Alkanese and or Kenshin for big boy fights. I keep the rest flexible.
Crane to skip fights on long dungeons, and any of the trap/chest dealing charactets the rest of the time. Crook or other healer when purifying pests. And Lia when finishing new quests or dealing with Hanny. I'm not too dependant on guards.
I only bother with brawlers when there are some humanoids.
I haven't had any big issues with fights so far.

In 1.00 I would have Athena around for as long as possible to save actions. Not much use for her now.

distant

Learned
Party kept evolving through the game (wanted to try new characters). Of the girls not mentioned, Kibako's element strike was pretty powerful throughout, Lia (40) with +attack gems and lightning dragon stacks, Rizna (Damage Max/Wild Dance) was pretty good too.

Maxie

QxuIb9C.jpg

p. good game, not the best but sure as shit fun

Jason Liang

Arcane
I also beat Magnum a few days ago~

rqm-007.jpg

Just been grinding for Gungaran and raising money to buy Kisara, the last few days and finally caught a Battle Booklet.
Hint- As soon as you beat the rest of Booklet's team, remove your entire party except Tomato (or whoever has the Rope) so you have multiple chances to catch her before combat finishes. between Noir and Tomato, it took 7 tries in one battle before she was caught. I don't think Noir can catch her either.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Since we're sharing (non-magnum ending)
gedwntD.png

Very surprised Rance is in such a lead for battles, felt there was a long time were I just never deployed him at all.
Hammer>Sword=Shortsword>Spear.

Preliminary thoughts: The writing in this is quite good, it works very well as an anthology with each quest being it's own neatly wrapped self contained thing. The lack of serious stakes didn't really bother me, the personal stories were enough. Playing with TADA mode I think the grind turned out to be just about perfect for what the game is. I did replay various maps more than once, even knowing there was nothing more to find but it never felt like "oh I need to play this 3 more times to get character x to level 35" instead usually as "well here's a clever way to get xp, new characters and loot at the same time". As for the gameplay itself, it's ok. It suffers a bit from lack of variety as it's often hard to tell enemies apart mechanically except for elemental weaknesses and while there is admirable work put into giving many of the pcs unique traits and abilities you do often wind up just using basic attacks and 2 sword wielders don't have much to separate them.

In relation to the other rance games that have been translated, this one goes somewhere in the middle so far. Not as good as SR or VI, better than 02 and 5D.

Nirvash

Liturgist
I'm at tower, pastel bully is the best thing of the story.

The hell, tower was the base game ending? They truly fucked up with vanilla.

oAIUbKh.jpg

Aaaw, i want a reset game now.

Last edited:

Nirvash

Liturgist
"3rd: Aten" So, did you licked that asshole in the end?

Always, always using her to optimize her quit penalty... same with the blonde "extra hp when i die".
I never use guards and healers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom