Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Valheim - a brutal exploration and survival game - now available on Early Access

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really like this game, but brutal it is not. After the first wave of attackers me and my friends totally neglected defenses even though the game told us to build some. Then we were attacked by a horde of Greylings. By all rights they should have utterly demolished our base. Instead they kind of lazily hit the front of our main house a bit, then left. It took 1 minute to undo the damage of a totally undefended wave of 25 enemies (3 defenders).

That’s what the game needs right now IMO; difficulty. Everything else is p. cool
Greylings are as wheat to a scythe. I hear the Plains biome is hell.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I really like this game, but brutal it is not. After the first wave of attackers me and my friends totally neglected defenses even though the game told us to build some. Then we were attacked by a horde of Greylings. By all rights they should have utterly demolished our base. Instead they kind of lazily hit the front of our main house a bit, then left. It took 1 minute to undo the damage of a totally undefended wave of 25 enemies (3 defenders).

That’s what the game needs right now IMO; difficulty. Everything else is p. cool

not greylings, sorry, Greydwarves. With brutes and shamans and the whole shebang.

I realize it’s a lower level enemy but still. The game had taught us all the concepts and literally told us to build defenses, and a massive attack is completely without consequences? Felt cheap

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One of our "strong" outposts we built uses logwalls and log spikes and is a decent distance from our "main" base, but we haven't tested it against trolls yet. It seems to be surrounded by trolls a LOOOOT.

I mean, we kill trolls fairly regularly and all of us have a near complete set of sneak gear (troll hides required), but trolls hit fugging hard, so we usually just kite them with fire arrows and let them destroy trees for us (as they miss while attacking us) to save us time farming lumber.

It's perfectly possible to kill trolls solo, and often we kill multiple solo at once just because we explore everywhere. After the last update, it seems like they hit a lot harder. This last game session, I was kiting a troll around a stone building (just pregen not something we built) and it nearly destroyed it after a few hits. I bet a wooden building would crumble in a second. I'd just be wary of building too much "defense" against enemies that can essentially one shot structures.

It's better to go minimalist and transport stuff as needed.

My 2 cents anyways as somebody who hasn't "completed" the game yet.

The difficulty in this game doesn't lie in monsters trying to hit your base (right now that feature is very badly implemented), but rather (at least in my experience) venturing into unknown territory at night, especially in tougher areas like the swamp, which I just got to. It's very atmospheric in this sense - venturing out of your base for a long trip requires preparation and lots can go wrong along the way. It's not uncommon to get blindsided by trolls early on, or fucked by wolves in the mountain, or mobbed by slugs in the swamp.

When you have greater control over the variables (i.e. traveling during the day near your base) - or even as you become more familiar with hostile environments, then the game isn't hard at all, and I don't think it's meant to be.

vota DC

Augur

not greylings, sorry, Greydwarves. With brutes and shamans and the whole shebang.

I realize it’s a lower level enemy but still. The game had taught us all the concepts and literally told us to build defenses, and a massive attack is completely without consequences? Felt cheap
Shamans are a trouble because even if you block with shield you get poisoned. You need bow against them if your melee weapon can't kill before they launch poison.
In the swamp biome you get blobs that are reskinned kangaroos and they poison like shamans.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Shamans are a trouble because even if you block with shield you get poisoned. You need bow against them if your melee weapon can't kill before they launch poison.
In the swamp biome you get blobs that are reskinned kangaroos and they poison like shamans.

Except they were not, because a throng of them showed up at our undefended base, left a few dents in a few places, ran around in circles for 5 minutes, then left

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Shamans are easy to melee if you use your dodge (block + direction + space) when they start a breath attack you can slice/hack/bludgeon them, you can bait things into swinging and simply back away so they whiff or lessen the blow then close in and engage. Havent engaged slimes in melee yet, not fancying my chances, leeches either, most other things ill try to slice into ribbons but a 2 star draugir with a bow murderraped me when trying to close so trusty bow + fire arrows shut him up.

Portals make exploration rather speedy, you can drop one at base or a secondary camp and carry the reagents to drop another in the field, drop a workshop then the portal and nip back when needed then when you want to go back to exploring just dart back and remove the two buildings and go about your merry way.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Except they were not, because a throng of them showed up at our undefended base, left a few dents in a few places, ran around in circles for 5 minutes, then left
Undefended? Were you not there? Do you know all this from security footage?

undefended as in no walls or anything. We were three people there but that wasn’t near enough to fight all the attackers, so a ton of them could do whatever they wanted. They chose to run around in circles

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
i have no idea how people can enjoy this. i spent longer trying to have walls and roofs lock onto each other than playing the actual game.
You gotta remove the glue between your fingers so you won't have to hit the keyboard with your hand as a single brick.

Honestly, when you look at the stuff people have built in this game and the guides, it's really not that hard.
It is extremely flexible, though, which does come with a bit of an entry barrier.

I also generally prefer games that give you ready blueprints instead of actually having to place every single tile - but maybe that's something that will still come (or added by mods).

You have like 12 different degrees of rotation. You could sperg out over the lack of proper control, or adapt and overcome.

8F3CEE6697203004E8628B1849F1D4442BF50844

Tigranes

Arcane
My friends played this a lot recently so I jumped in to take a quick look. You can definitely build big, fairly complicated things, and it's fun to actually have to chop wood, construct scaffolding, rickety staircases, fall and die while building, etc., and eventually complete a gigantic bridge towering high over the water.

This game would become legendary with things like heavy rain flooding the shores or tornados ripping through structures.

There's zero excuse whatsoever for not having some kind of isometric/topdown/zoomed out Build Camera, though. You can make it work, but it's not good.

Mortmal

Arcane
is this game even worth getting if you're gonna play it alone?
It's ok, doing things better than ark, in overral less frustrating , less annoyances . For exemple, even if building is a pain, you can just disassemble and replace parts. There's stuff it's doing a lot better , the world physics, the trees , the smoke in the buildings and so on. I am at iron stage now and its quite a chore finding enough crypts to mine iron and ferry it back, a slog if the wind is not behind you. Could be the random map seed fuck up my game too, like most people i play without whatching youtube walkthrough first, consider rivers as your highways, once you unlock bronze nails the ship is decent enough to move around, a good map with many rivers and many ressources especially those fucking swamp crypts are obviously a game changer.
Would be a lot better in a team that's for sure, solo 30 hours in , did 2 bosses only , i am starting to have enough of it already.

I had my first big boat ride last night - ferrying ore off the swamp in the swamps off the West coast of the continent all the way to our base in the East coast. It was atmospheric and fun, but I really can't see myself doing this shit multiple times just to get some ore.

Considering downloading a mod that allows ore through TPs. I know it would be cheating, but it's damn tempting.

Mortmal

Arcane
I had my first big boat ride last night - ferrying ore off the swamp in the swamps off the West coast of the continent all the way to our base in the East coast. It was atmospheric and fun, but I really can't see myself doing this shit multiple times just to get some ore.

Considering downloading a mod that allows ore through TPs. I know it would be cheating, but it's damn tempting.
You can also world hop , but yes its cheating i suppose. I am afraid we seen all the content the game has to offer already, remove those trips, there's nothing else .You better not lose that time wasting equipment, you encounter things that can one shoot you if not fully fed , the corpse recovery can end up being the most hellish in any game . Making little shacks everywhere as save point is mandatory.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
users autism is no excuse for a shitty interface.

You have to play with an autistic friend who does all the building for you.

In my team game with two friends, 90% of the building has been done by one guy. Peak autistic programmer who always exaggerates with his shit.

Also, we found out the massive lag spike in our base is not caused by having too many assets, but by doing too much terraforming. Digging down into the ground to place buildings there, digging a moat around the wall, etc. The engine has issues loading areas when there has been too much terrain manipulation going on because it first loads the original height map and then calculates the changes made by the player each time it loads an area that has been dug up.

Protip: don't terraform too much with your pickaxe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom