Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's settle this once and for all: Fallout 2 or Underrail?

Choose wisely

• Total voters

jackofshadows

Magister
Steam says I finished playing in Jan 2016. Think of it, it's amazing how little I remember from that playthrough.
Stopped playing after completing settlement with gladiator arena in it.
:hmmm:
The lore didn't grab you, I get that, but it's a very subjective opinion and the fact that you've missed a huge chunk of the game (even the massive expansion aside, it wasn't released back then yet) doesn't help that either. I think both games have a good bunch of colourful characters although F2 have the advantage of talking heads with VO no less even if all the other NPCs don't have avatars like they do in Underrail.

I don't see how main story in Underrail is worse than F2's, comparable macguffin shenanigans, with the difference that as ItsChon noted, build-up for SGS caring is way better than similiar for Arroyo. Moreover, at least for me the idea to roleplay as some tribes(wo)man who gotta stick together with its own didn't click well tbh. I replayed F2 recently and the president's quasi-nazi motives didn't click well either, prefer vague and mysterious Underrail's end-game denouement way more but that's obviously also subjective.

What's not subjective, however is
It's worth noting how funny it is that Fallout 2 gets relentlessly shat on for every detail deemed unworthy, while this game gets free pass for its bad parts.
Combat and crafting are the only things that Underrail did better than Fallout 2. Story, characters and factions are forgettable, and some design decisions, like forcing the player to backtrack a lot combined with respawnig same enemies are gamebraking for me.
the fact that Fallout 2 has the exact same backtracking and respawning enemies but somehow you gave it a pass while accusing others in the opposite :D
Now, comparing Underrail and Fallout 2 ratings is legit
Eh, I don't think so. Those Fallout 2 ratings has been made too long after release when the game has legendary status and all that. Many people rated it after buying for their collection, having <10h played or even less. At the same time, Underrail is some obscure indie game which has long history of changes even if some were arguably for the worse, I'm sure such things like lack of big enough fonts option or a fucking map have affected it.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Very well. Let's settle this once and for all:

Codex:
  1. Fallout 2 - 123 votes
  2. Underrail - 55 votes
Steam:
  1. Fallout 2 - 95%
  2. Underrail - 87%
GOG:
  1. Fallout 2 - Verified Owners 4.6★ Overall rating 4.7★
  2. Underrail - Verified Owners 4★ Overall rating 4.3★
Metacritic:
  1. Fallout 2 - User Score 9.1
  2. Underrail - User Score 7.8

Today, Fallout 2 wins.

You forgot two i believe:

RetardsButthurt.com
  1. Underrail 15/10
  2. Fallout 2 4/10

RPGWatch
  1. Underrail 4.5/10
  2. Fallout 2 4.4/10

Lios

Cipher
I first played FO2 back when it was out in 1998 (1999?) and I still do a full run once almost every year. So, even though Underrail has much more to offer in build variety, qol improvements and combat, I cannot love it more due to the nostalgia, and of course, I don't really care to do so. Also, my personal taste suggests that FO2's writing and atmosphere (charcters/towns/sidequests etc) are much more colorful and interesting, no matter the occassional stupid shit-pop reference (which I didn't get for the most part back then, being a non American kid in a mostly no-internet world). Underrail is king in planning and building and crafting, I've restarted it countless of times with primal excitement to try different stuff with different characters, and yet, I always stop around level 17 or 18, because I lose interest in my build and then I immediatelly restart with something different to try. Because it never really builds for me the hallucination of a world like FO2, on the contrary I feel that the whole world is my character so when I decide that there is nothing more that I have to expect from my build, I also decide that I have nothing else to expect from the world, and thus the game in itself. Underrail is trully a great game that should be considered a classic already. So my mind says Underrail, but my heart and dick say FO2, peace.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Steam says I finished playing in Jan 2016. Think of it, it's amazing how little I remember from that playthrough. The only npcs I remember are Dude and that barbarian king, and only because how ridiculously cringy they were. It's worth noting how funny it is that Fallout 2 gets relentlessly shat on for every detail deemed unworthy, while this game gets free pass for its bad parts. The only faction I can name is Protectorate, but can't say anything about them other that they were some kind of militarists. The gameworld and lore simply didn't grab me enough to put effort to research any of it. I remember combat being fun, played crossbow/throwing build that used traps. Stopped playing after completing settlement with gladiator arena in it.

Again, I don't think Underrail is a bad game, it's amazing for a game made mostly by one man. I'm aware that there is a small, but dedicated group of zealots here with a goal of elevating it to a classic status, and maybe you will, maybe you wont, I wish you well with that. Before you get too butthurt, remember, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
You didn't mention when you finished playing FO2. I'm guessing you're an older guy that probably played FO2 long before he played Underrail, maybe even more than a decade ago. Am I right?

I don't think it's a coincidence that the people who played FO2 long before they played modern Underrail (post expansion) seem to prefer it. Should tell us something.
Now, comparing Underrail and Fallout 2 ratings is legit, since they are both turn based cRPGs and the people who play one will usually have played the other too (specially since Underrail is advertised in a lot of places as a spiritual successor of classic Fallout games).
Just taking a look at steam ratings, D:OS2 scores higher than Fallout 2 by two percent. They're both turn based cRPGs right? And the people who play one will usually have played the other right? Maybe we should compare D:OS2's scores to that of FO1, which is less well reviewed on all these websites. So unless you're gonna sit here and tell me D:OS2 is better than FO 1 & 2, get the fuck out of here.

Your mother drank alcohol while she was pregnant with you and that's fine, just don't shit up our threads with your retardation.

Risewild

Arbiter
Just taking a look at steam ratings, D:OS2 scores higher than Fallout 2 by two percent. They're both turn based cRPGs right? And the people who play one will usually have played the other right? Maybe we should compare D:OS2's scores to that of FO1, which is less well reviewed on all these websites. So unless you're gonna sit here and tell me D:OS2 is better than FO 1 & 2, get the fuck out of here.
No, they are still different genres.
Fallout 2 and Underrail are sci-fi, post apocalyptic games (not to mention Underrail is known for being a spiritual successor to Fallout 2). D:OS2 is high fantasy.

Everyone knows that the majority of people who love high fantasy don't care much for sci-fi and vice versa. So the audience is still different.

Also, we are comparing these two games in particular, one against the other to see which one people prefer.
This is not about which game is better, it's about which game people prefer. And since only around 200 people dared to vote in this Codex poll, I was curious about what other people think of the games. So I went and checked, found it interesting that the results on those places are similar to the Codex poll results and posted them.

Both Fallout 2 and Underrail have things they do better than the other, which makes it impossible to say for sure which one is better. But it's never impossible to know which game people prefer. And the rates are clear, in the vast majority of places, people prefer Fallout 2.
Risewild what do you have against Underrail?
Several things, I also have several things I have against Fallout 2.

I was just stating the obvious (that Fallout 2 is leading in this Codex poll) and then I got curious and checked other places where people can rank games to see what the opinion is outside of here.
Then I got butthurt replies and decided to troll some more.
I love the smell of butthurt in the morning!
:troll:

Wunderbar

Arcane
No, they are still different genres.
Fallout 2 and Underrail are sci-fi, post apocalyptic games (not to mention Underrail is known for being a spiritual successor to Fallout 2). D:OS2 is high fantasy.
in truth Underrail and DOS have more in common than Underrail and Fo2, since UR and DOS are about combat and not C&C and storyfaggotry.

urmom

Learned
UR story while minimal is still good. DOS is just dumb unless you like very generic fantasy.

jackofshadows

Magister
Also, we are comparing these two games in particular, one against the other to see which one people prefer.
This is not about which game is better, it's about which game people prefer.
No idea where you got that, OP doesn't specify that as a proper troll OP should. If anything, yours is the most boring approach that can be taken. Even Codex's selection didn't provide any surprizes making result highly predictable from the start.

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You mean Fallout 1, Fallout 2 and Fallout 3? Agreed.
Fallout, Fallout 2 and Arcanum
That's not the trinity.

It's Fallout, Torment, and motherfucking BG2.

I'd replace the RTwP abomination (BG2) with Gothic in a heartbeat, I'd even settle for Arcanum or Bloodlines if I had to, but the trinity isn't about me, it's the Codex's opinion and there are many faggots here.

Therefore, the closest to the trinity is Pillars of eTrinity. Yay!

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Yes... friends.
DEATH TO FALLOUTFAGS! BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT UNDERRAIL!

Reminds me of two kids trying to mug me a decade or two ago in a residential area, i was coming out of a sports hall and two hobbits, 12-15yo with a hobbit's knife the size of your dick (half my little finger or so) tried their luck, I didn't even give them time to tell me what they wanted.
Caught the first one knife's hand and slapped him, he fell on his ass while the other one ran away.

Well, i'm ready for you and your friends.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom