Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you guys like hassle?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Cuz that's basically the difference between a hardcore RPG and a casual action RPG. I have this one 'rpg' where you hold left mouse and it powers up something huge. Then you point the crosshair at a huge group of enemies that you deliberately hoarded up and made to chase you. Then you release left mouse and a huge electric magic explosion shoots forward and instantly decimates everything in a long line! And if a few enemies were to the sides of the line of death, it then triggers a second explosion to kill them too. Orsum? Bra?

Total number of deaths/fails: 0 (I just use a potion if I lose any hp...)

Then I have this other game where it takes an hour to find the enemy you want. And then a single enemy can kill you, so you have to slowly and carefully wait for an opportunity to get one alone. You might need to use some spells like sleep and invisibility etc, to make sure. Then when you finally start fighting you have to start by using a spell to lower its magic resistances or it will resist half your spells. Then a spell to slow it's attacks or you will be dead soon, then you have to heal the damage it has already done while you cast these first two spells. Now you can finally start fighting back which involves a delicate deadly balance between HP and Mana. Intense. Sometimes you have to abort and rest for 20 minutes and try it again, and sometimes you fail and die and it takes an hour to do it all over again.

Total number of deaths/fails: 10000 (and each one sets you back 90 minutes)

Which game would you pick? Because I've played both, a lot, and the first one bores the shit out of me.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Second one would be my choice if the time investment was managed better.

As it stands, I'd kick both of these shit games to the curb and play Dungeon Hack instead.

Generic-Giant-Spider

It's an enjoyable time, I wouldn't say it's as good as EOTB2 overall but it's a nice thing to load up when you have nothing in particular you want to play but you want to pass the time to do something.

Hassle wouldn't be my term of choice. Fetch quests are hassle. Trash mobs are hassle. Knowing doom could come for you at any turn and needing to resourcefully apply the game's intricacy's to conquer it--that's a hobby with merit. If it can be enjoyed in the context for an interesting tale or immersive world, all the better. This is not to say I enjoy murder puzzles, but challenge is requisite to interest.

howlingFantods

Learned
I prefer the second one unless the game requires the same battle strategy every single time.
Second game should require you to change strategies otherwise casting the same buffs and debuffs every time will get tedious fast

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
OP must be the stereotypical American consumer. Buys pointless shit because everything in life is too much hassle for their few diabetic brain cells.

Wow that was what you got from this thread? What a waste of oxygen.

Sarathiour

Cipher
First one is described as your typical phone game, the one you might want to play while taking a shit.

Second one is described as needlessly tedious and the number seems exaggerated.

So neither of them for long.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
First one is described as your typical phone game, the one you might want to play while taking a shit.

Second one is described as needlessly tedious and the number seems exaggerated.

So neither of them for long.
But don't you think that's mostly how RPGs are designed? Either mindless dump games or RPGs full of chores.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Speaking of p99, let me tell you guys about my first day on P99 as it relates to this thread.

I was a newbie Necromancer and had fun in my home town, made a few levels. Then I travelled for a while to a far area and I hunted some wolves. Things went wrong and I died... I respawn all the way back at my home town, naked and my money and newbie gear is on my corpse back wherever I died. I now run naked with no weapon or armor for 20 minutes back to that area, but it is really foggy. I can barely see trees as I'm running, never mind finding a corpse in a forest. I try to search in a grid but I can't find it. As a Necromancer I actually get a spell that can locate corpses, but not for a few more levels, and I also have no money to buy it anyway. I spend an hour looking, I feel sads, think about starting a new character. Then another person comes through the area. I tell them what happened and he gives me some money, I then go to town and buy an item called Chipped Bone Rod which locates corpses. I use that and find my corpse, and get my newbie gear and cash back, and then I rush back to the safety of my home town! The whole traumatic adventure lasted a whole evening and I ended up with less than I had before it all began.

It isn't often the game kicks you when you're down but the point is that the game is designed to be a harsh world and just surviving in it is a challenge. It forces the players together, makes community and teamwork more important, it makes everything you do feel super intense. You don't just run around fireballing orcs, you have to be tactical and cautious. Battles are so intense because losing is a huge set back. You REALLY want to win, edge of the seat gaming. And when you finally end up making some serious progress, you think back at all the obstacles you had to beat and it feels really good. RPGs can be harsh and serious, or they can be "press-a-button-and-something-awesome-happens". Or they can be anything in between, but they very rarely are...

Last edited:

Sarathiour

Cipher
But don't you think that's mostly how RPGs are designed? Either mindless dump games or RPGs full of chores.

Yeah, if you streamlined anything enough, you will reach this kind of extreme. But what's fun is supposed to be in the nuances : you "endure" some busyworks like planning your strat, buffing, debuffing, in order to be rewarded by winning this challenging fight. And eventually you earn reward for that in form of xp or loot that will make your life easier against lesser encounter, and allow you to try some more challenging one.

Yall should see Ark: Survival Evolved! Never seen such an extreme time sinker.
I never really bought to those survival game, only one i played to some extent was don't starve, and it was around 6 years ago. Often too much mindless grind for task that don't represent a challenge pas a certain point in the game.

Falksi

Arcane

By your command.......

hHMXL87.jpg

SSiZqBs.jpg

KCm79OT.jpg

W2FrNNe.jpg

H3LRJf4.jpg

x5FLB3a.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom