Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D Dark Alliance - co-op action brawler where you play Drizzt's party

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Did anybody mention that this would be a sequel to Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2? They're fine games to play co-op... with a friend on a couch.

In fact, I dunno if co-op means anything special unless couch co-op. An online co-op game doesn't feel much different than a multiplayer game with a limit of 2 people. Yes, feelings matter lol. You can't physically slap your friend for trolling you by blocking every doorway.

Dodo1610

Arcane
This looks a lot better than I expected, combat looks honestly better than in some recent 4 player co-op brawlers games like Marvels Avengers.Edit just out it's only 40 that seems alright.

Last edited:
Just looks boring, to be honest. Even looking past the bombastic animations, all of the action just looks very disconnected. Hitboxes appear large, the action/reaction dynamic looks very sluggish, and enemies HP spongy. I wasn't expecting much, but this isn't for me. While I thought the original Dark Alliance games were heretical to call themselves Baldur's Gate, I enjoyed playing them with friends for the Diablo clones that they were.

ADL

Prophet
Honestly I don't see the appeal of this versus playing a MMO like The Elder Scrolls Online which has 35-40 high quality dungeons with veteran variants that feature their own mechanics, far better build and loot variety than anything you'll get in this game, looks and plays about the same but it also has DAoC-style three faction PvP, overland MMO content, raids etc.

This looks like an MMO without the variety or replayability of an MMO so why not just play an MMO?

This looks a lot better than I expected, combat looks honestly better than in some recent 4 player co-op brawlers games like Marvels Avengers.Edit just out it's only 40 that seems alright.
Same. I was expecting W:tA - Earthblood levels of trash, at least this doesn't looks like something that should have been released two generations ago.

Varnaan

Augur
Bleh.
The Dark Alliance games are the short-ish Diablo clones you could literally play with anyone on your couch, with your retarded boomer parents, your girlfriend who never touched a controller, etc...
I don't really see the purpose in resurrecting the franchise though , much like Gauntlet a while ago.
My biggest worry is that it will actually suffer from the Dark Alliance label.

Codex Year of the Donut
Bleh.
The Dark Alliance games are the short-ish Diablo clones you could literally play with anyone on your couch, with your retarded boomer parents, your girlfriend who never touched a controller, etc...
I don't really see the purpose in resurrecting the franchise though , much like Gauntlet a while ago.
My biggest worry is that it will actually suffer from the Dark Alliance label.
iirc the dark alliance games sold very well

Varnaan

Augur
iirc the dark alliance games sold very well
20 years ago or something, most zoomers don't know the series and the ones who played the old games will probably be disappointed.
That's always the gamble when you pull out a franchise name because it did well a long ass time ago.
I know that I will be disappointed if no reference is made to the cliffhanger at the end of DA2.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Did anybody mention that this would be a sequel to Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2? They're fine games to play co-op... with a friend on a couch.

In fact, I dunno if co-op means anything special unless couch co-op. An online co-op game doesn't feel much different than a multiplayer game with a limit of 2 people. Yes, feelings matter lol. You can't physically slap your friend for trolling you by blocking every doorway.

Yes, I miss it. The death of couch co-op basically killed my interest in multiplayer games. Just not the same. One of the reasons I personally have a soft-spot for Dungeon Siege III.

same gameplay, different source

Did anybody mention that this would be a sequel to Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2?
Spiritual successor. This one is called "Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance", which is why they're not using 3 in the title. Given the nostalgia factor, I think banking on a "long-awaited sequel that was canceled because Black Isle shut down" would be a better option than a soft reboot...

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Honestly I don't see the appeal of this versus playing a MMO like The Elder Scrolls Online which has 35-40 high quality dungeons with veteran variants that feature their own mechanics, far better build and loot variety than anything you'll get in this game, looks and plays about the same but it also has DAoC-style three faction PvP, overland MMO content, raids etc.

This looks like an MMO without the variety or replayability of an MMO so why not just play an MMO?

Compared to a MMO, the gameplay here looks much more action/arcade than the average MMO, so it's much easier to pick up, especially for a coop game where you'd play with your buddies

Codex Year of the Donut

Compared to a MMO, the gameplay here looks much more action/arcade than the average MMO, so it's much easier to pick up, especially for a coop game where you'd play with your buddies
Looks about similar to modern MMO combat

Bara

Arcane
I love that its a loot driven game and that Drizzit will replace his two swords icingdeath and twinkle with randon shit he finds killing goblins.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom