Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Card-Based Erannorth Reborn

Said at one point I'd make a thread for it and vomit some rambling on it, so here I am.

Most basic gist is it's a singleplayer deckbuilding game. Where it differs from something like Slay the Spire or Dominion or Ascension is rather than having a razor-sharp design, Erannorth's a big sloppy mess that somehow still works. It's hard to accurately describe it even after putting some 20 hours in, but the game's got so many little moving parts it's easy to write some off completely, and after you put more time into the game those useless sub-mechanics have a bit more weight to them.

As a basic example, cards can level up in Erannorth. Similar to the system in Griftlands, each time you play a card that card (All instances of cards with that name in that particular run/character) gains experience, and when it levels up some of the values on it will improve a little bit. Fairly straightforward, means your early shit cards tend to get stronger because you're using them a lot early game. But a card can only level up to it's "Tier" which is a vague estimate of a card's power level, so while your tier 1 Slap might seem to be dealing comparable damage to that tier 3 Punch you just got as a reward, your Slap card may be fully leveled and won't improve while the Punch has room to grow. Beyond that, every single card will have associated "Types" on it. A Shield Block card may have the Blunt type on it. That can leave you scratching your head when you start playing because Blunt is a damage type and Shield Block is a completely defensive card, but an extremely common mechanic in Erannorth is cards adding synergies and damage to the next card you play. So you may play a card that gives +3 damage to your next card, then you play Shield Block on an enemy like an attack and it deals Blunt damage which your character has perks to enhance so you did 7 damage on top of defending yourself with the card. All of this rambling is extremely basic mechanics that apply to basically every class and card in the game, I'm not even getting into specific mechanics for any of the classes or races (Since races have their own unique card pools as well, some of which play well with certain classes).

On top of all THAT while I'm rambling about neutral mechanics, your character has stats, can gain XP and level up which gives you more stat points and access to perks. The stats aren't as exciting as they may appear at first glance, rarely (If ever) do your stats have any influence on text-based events that show up on occasion, but stats DO influence your offensive and defensive capabilities (Increasing damage with certain types, increasing maximum hand size, increasing AP (Essentially mana, what you spend to play cards) cap and generation, increasing your resistances to different types, etc) and, importantly, can influence how some cards behave. Monk is a prime example of a class that leverages that a lot, as some of the monk's cards benefit from extremely high agility letting you chain a continual string of cards off of it, while other monk cards benefit from low agility. The perks tend to be more of a gamechanger since you can get more sizable bonuses out of them. I tend to find that waiting a level or two to gain cards and look over my deck before locking in the kind of deck I want to build via perks is beneficial. Especially if you don't know a class/race yet. Perks can also give you "Skills" which DO occasionally give you options during the text events. There's also a whole side-mechanic for picking factions which is largely DLC related which I won't even go into since I'm not very experienced with it. There's also equipment, which tends to work by reducing your AP gained each turn and either gives you certain flat bonuses (Armor typically giving you damage reduction against certain types of damage) or in the case of weapons, giving you a weapon attack card in your hand every turn. There can be times when you wouldn't want a weapon equipped so you're drawing as many cards from your actual deck as possible, but there's also a benefit to knowing you'll always have at least one decent offensive card a turn for example.

And finally for basic mechanics of the game, there's one of the weirdest parts to me, the enemies. The enemies in Erannorth tend to be mechanically fairly simple, often running the basic tactics of "Offense if I'm in good health, specialty at mid-health, and healing or defensive shit if low health". Enemies in Slay the Spire for example tend to be simple as well, but different enemy types will have very clear strengths and weaknesses and you tend to build your deck specifically around dealing with them. In Erannorth you basically build your deck without too much concern about enemies and focusing on your own strengths. Even though that sounds like Erannorth should be easy, it can bite you in the ass. You might encounter flying enemies when your deck hasn't got any ranged cards for example so you just flat out can't hurt them and have to desperately change your deck on the fly, you might get hit with a ton of poison stacks, you might face more enemies than you can reliably deal with in a single hand of cards and they start nibbling away at you, you could be a bleed/poison based deck and come up against undead that are immune to bleed and poison, you could find an enemy that stacks a ton of retribution and smacks you every time you try to attack, etc. Even though the enemies are simple and they aren't as clear to understand as something like Slay the Spire things can turn around after the first few levels.

I'll start wrapping it up here since the game's so damn strange that even rambling here, rambling to a few buddies, and thinking about it myself it's still a strange game. I'd recommend it to people who enjoy deckbuilders, but make sure you're a degenerate card-fondler because I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone casually dipping their toes in. The funky card art and UI and the occasionally clunky writing and rules put up a bit of a barrier to entry and even once you start digging in, it leaves me feeling conflicted. It's enjoyable, it does give you that satisfying feeling when a deck and character start coming together and you're stomping the shit out of encounters, but when I sit back and try to think about why I enjoy it the best answer I can come up with is because you get that positive feeling from when a deckbuilder comes together and it's in a game as messy and sprawling as Erannorth, which gives it a unique flavor. I didn't even get into the millions of play formats, some of which include fairly linear runs more like a StS run where you're picking up cards on the go, and some of which are draft modes, and one which is like a weird pseudo-Shandalar where you travel around a map and go on adventures. The jumbo adventure mode puts a little more emphasis on your character learning skills via perks but it's also a little less exciting than playing one of the more linear modes since your character advances a little more slowly and you can try to get certain cards as rewards from specific locations, and specific locations also let you partially control what sort of enemies you'll be facing. Avoiding undead-sounding locations if you're going for the aforementioned poison/bleed kind of a character.

Last edited by a moderator:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Copying over my posts about this game:

I just got into Erannorth Reborn because it's a sandbox adventure deckbuilder thingy. I got hooked so I bought the expansions after playing ~4h today. It feels more ambitious than most games, while keeping complexity properly scoped to character builds and factions.

The downside is that it's windows only so I have to play over Parsec from my mac.
I've played a bunch more and it's miles ahead of any other deckbuilder. It has both "arcade" mode like any deckbuilder, and a sandbox/infinite mode. The event system was revamped with the last expansion and it's like a card-driven CRPG now. You can point-buy your stats and perks. Each class/race/faction combo has its own card mechanics, and there are tens of them. From the events you can recruit unique allies or collect special loot that changes your whole playstyle. So even within the same class you can make several viable builds that are unique.

For example, I have played a vampire necromancer focused on DoTs and draining health. Then I found a lair that gave me a thrall every turn and respecced into spamming disposable summons while leeching them for health. Next game I started with an Ifrit Paladin that was building its own company, where a healer kept alive several guards that'd defend and retaliate every turn while I sat back and casted light arrows. In the last one tonight I was a Fey Monk that could do, every turn, two flurries of 6 blows that would down any boss without high physical defense.

10/10 lads.

Edit: Also ask me how to edit the savefile to unlock all classes without grinding.

I'd recommend the advanced guide the developer made, as it serves as a better player manual. More digestible than the ingame compendium and has space for strats.

My mod subscriptions: fix the official art, more monsters (made by the developer but unbalanced), alt card frames. The developer is very prolific making mods for his own game.

Also in the supposedly last patch the developer added straight into the UI the next action the AI will take, rather than making you run through the algorithm in your head. It fixed one of my complaints about the game: deterministic yet inscrutable AI, specially if you come back to the game after a few months.

Last edited:

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
FAKE EDIT: just as I was about to post this, I did another scan of OPs topic (which I originally skipped parts of) and discovered that I'm repeating alot of his stuff. Going to post this anyway.

I have 49 hours to this game according to steam. One of my favorites. It does take time to get used to. Bad UI and babbling text on cards (don't think Dev is english native) made the rules difficult to understand... It's probably improved since last I've played.

I treated this game as more of an arpg than an actual ccg. There's a ton of race and class combos. Lots of stats, skills, masteries, perks and everything else. If I wasn't lazy I'd post a screen of the character sheet.

You go node to node, kill shit, kill bosses, gain levels, gold, consumables, weapons, armor, cards. Sometimes there's even special encounters you can run into. If you have the right perks or alignment, they can play out differently. Visit towns, buy stuff in stores, rest/heal at the inn and so forth.

There's a lot of game modes you can take a character to. I mostly just played Ironman gauntlet, which is a linear slay the spire setup. Don't remember the others, but there is a open world rpg mode that may be of interest. I've heard many people on the steam forms compare it to magic the gathering: shandalar. Can't confirm.

Retardo

Learned
Looks like he's released the sequel.
Its much less ugly and main game mode is sandbox now. Also, he's boasting deeper rpg elements and ~2600 cards

I'll wait a bit for steam reviews, gonna buy if they are at least "positive".

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Looks like he's released the sequel.
Its much less ugly and main game mode is sandbox now. Also, he's boasting deeper rpg elements and ~2600 cards

I'll wait a bit for steam reviews, gonna buy if they are at least "positive".

:d1p:

Will report my findings

Retardo

Learned
First reviews are positive, so bought it.

So far so good, I like how class/species/organisation combinations allow you to shape your decks.
Looks like most of the content was copypasted from Errannorth reborn though.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Very disappointed by this, lots of hype but it is just the same as Slay the Spire and a million other similar games, but with a million random variables that got zero balancing. So first few attempts I was busting my balls and failing, then I figured a few things out and switched class and it became a walk through. And super grindy. Glorified mobile game.

Retardo

Learned
Very disappointed by this, lots of hype but it is just the same as Slay the Spire and a million other similar games, but with a million random variables that got zero balancing. So first few attempts I was busting my balls and failing, then I figured a few things out and switched class and it became a walk through. And super grindy. Glorified mobile game.
Come on, its not that bad.
It's a sandbox that trades plot elements for solid gameplay. And no one wold expect blalancing from a game by a single developer.
Most combinations are playable and fun, you just have to include heal/defend cards in your deck unless you go insane combo deck from the start, and not anything stupid when the game warns you against going stupid, like choosing class/race without subclass/subrace.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
If it was on Android I would play it but on PC no way. I love the no plot part but I just play a bunch of attacks then a bunch of heals and repeat and it just goes on and on. And the grind is enormous. I'd rather play an MMO.

Retardo

Learned
If it was on Android I would play it but on PC no way. I love the no plot part but I just play a bunch of attacks then a bunch of heals and repeat and it just goes on and on. And the grind is enormous. I'd rather play an MMO.
Care to show/describe to us your characters and their decks?
I've tried several so far - angelic sun priest, vampire assassin and severel kinds of necromancers, and found the experience varying and entertaining enough.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'm also part of the Erannorth Reborn fan-club, it's my favorite among all the roguelike deck builders. So much options, crazy builds and things to unlock, feels like the card version of something like TOME or DCSS.

Got Erannorth Chronicles on Day 1, but it's a mixed bag so far... has a better presentation but it's basically the same game, just with a bigger focus on the open world part. Still, it doesn't seem to have interesting events or anything like that. If you own Reborn and its DLCs, don't really see a reason to get Chronicles right now... maybe mods & DLCs will change that.

Retardo

Learned
I'm also part of the Erannorth Reborn fan-club, it's my favorite among all the roguelike deck builders. So much options, crazy builds and things to unlock, feels like the card version of something like TOME or DCSS.

Got Erannorth Chronicles on Day 1, but it's a mixed bag so far... has a better presentation but it's basically the same game, just with a bigger focus on the open world part. Still, it doesn't seem to have interesting events or anything like that. If you own Reborn and its DLCs, don't really see a reason to get Chronicles right now... maybe mods & DLCs will change that.
Yes, its basically the same game, but with better gfx and QoL.
Modders are already porting reborn's dlcs to chronicles.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I've tried several so far - angelic sun priest, vampire assassin and severel kinds of necromancers, and found the experience varying and entertaining enough.

It's an interesting game but I am spoilt when it comes to sandboxes and I really need more tuning. I uninstalled so can't show specifics but I can probably remember.

My first few attempts were a Witch and I skipped the tutorials and didn't read anything so I was stumped by unique mechanics like how the pets work etc. I spent most of my points on the sets and then the last few points on INT. This was all bad I later learned. I wasn't using pets properly and I only had 1 or 2 heals so muddled on a few levels and died. I repeated that with a few other builds and races. I got a bit further each time.

But once I figured out some things it changed everything. I found it better to not pick most of the decks/sets/skills whatever you call them. They let you use more types of cards but it can water you down. I preferred to focus on 2 or 3. And some of the weaker ones you can click down on their points when they are on 0 and it removes them completely. So some stuff I didn't really want in my deck and I got rid of it that way. Mostly because it didn't suit my build. Like at first I loved the spells which take control of an enemy. But it kills one of your pets and later when I switched to Summoner, my pets were far better than the enemies so I removed that whole set of cards.

Also with only 2 or 3 things it leaves you with lots of ability points to spend on stuff. I spent some of them on the one that gives you HP and the one that gives AP. I could take no damage on most turns in most battles but sometimes shit happens and you get hit. But if you have a huge hp pool then I had plenty of time to heal back up over the next few turns.

I always had Herbalism and I nearly removed it at first because it seemed weak. But then I learned that when you go adventuring, on every node you can stop and use an ability and one of them is herbalism. If you use it every node you can fill your deck with healing cards. After every fight, quick click of herbalism and you can recover from the previous fight. Also one of them which chops wood, I did that at every node so when you finish you can make 100-300 ish from selling the wood.

The Summoner class seemed really strong, the pets needed figuring out though. One of them can stun an enemy pretty reliably and you can have 3 pets so you could have 3 of those stun pets if you wanted. It lets you take 1 enemy out of the fight without you even doing anything. And you can have a pet attack while an enemy is stunned. The enemy loses the stunned but the pet doesn't get hit. With 3 pets you can stun, hit, and then stun again so it wont attack on its turn. Some of my cards would stun the enemies so between me and the pets I could keep most enemies stunned on every turn. Once I became confident with the hp situation I had a lot of draw in the deck including the one that removes 2 hp and then draws 2 cards. That hp loss is nothing when one of those 2 cards you draw might heal you for 10hp. And there is a Perk which improves healing effects.

Also one of the pets was some undead chick that can't seem to attack or do anything. So I spent a long time using the other 2 pets and then one of those undead chicks which I would use to unsummon her and draw cards or whatever. It worked ok. But later on I learned that her ability lets her attack on the next turn, and she gets stronger and stronger. So if you nurture that pet it can be so strong it can just attack and kill most enemies on your first turn. So if she kills 1, and then your dogs and stuns lockdown another 4 ish targets, you rarely have to take a hit. But you gotta keep an eye on enemy immunities for stun and make sure you can kill those ones fast.

Last edited:

Retardo

Learned

It's an interesting game but I am spoilt when it comes to sandboxes and I really need more tuning. I uninstalled so can't show specifics but I can probably remember.

My first few attempts were a Witch and I skipped the tutorials and didn't read anything so I was stumped by unique mechanics like how the pets work etc. I spent most of my points on the sets and then the last few points on INT. This was all bad I later learned. I wasn't using pets properly and I only had 1 or 2 heals so muddled on a few levels and died. I repeated that with a few other builds and races. I got a bit further each time.

But once I figured out some things it changed everything. I found it better to not pick most of the decks/sets/skills whatever you call them. They let you use more types of cards but it can water you down. I preferred to focus on 2 or 3. And some of the weaker ones you can click down on their points when they are on 0 and it removes them completely. So some stuff I didn't really want in my deck and I got rid of it that way. Mostly because it didn't suit my build. Like at first I loved the spells which take control of an enemy. But it kills one of your pets and later when I switched to Summoner, my pets were far better than the enemies so I removed that whole set of cards.

Also with only 2 or 3 things it leaves you with lots of ability points to spend on stuff. I spent some of them on the one that gives you HP and the one that gives AP. I could take no damage on most turns in most battles but sometimes shit happens and you get hit. But if you have a huge hp pool then I had plenty of time to heal back up over the next few turns.

I always had Herbalism and I nearly removed it at first because it seemed weak. But then I learned that when you go adventuring, on every node you can stop and use an ability and one of them is herbalism. If you use it every node you can fill your deck with healing cards. After every fight, quick click of herbalism and you can recover from the previous fight. Also one of them which chops wood, I did that at every node so when you finish you can make 100-300 ish from selling the wood.

The Summoner class seemed really strong, the pets needed figuring out though. One of them can stun an enemy pretty reliably and you can have 3 pets so you could have 3 of those stun pets if you wanted. It lets you take 1 enemy out of the fight without you even doing anything. And you can have a pet attack while an enemy is stunned. The enemy loses the stunned but the pet doesn't get hit. With 3 pets you can stun, hit, and then stun again so it wont attack on its turn. Some of my cards would stun the enemies so between me and the pets I could keep most enemies stunned on every turn. Once I became confident with the hp situation I had a lot of draw in the deck including the one that removes 2 hp and then draws 2 cards. That hp loss is nothing when one of those 2 cards you draw might heal you for 10hp. And there is a Perk which improves healing effects.

Also one of the pets was some undead chick that can't seem to attack or do anything. So I spent a long time using the other 2 pets and then one of those undead chicks which I would use to unsummon her and draw cards or whatever. It worked ok. But later on I learned that her ability lets her attack on the next turn, and she gets stronger and stronger. So if you nurture that pet it can be so strong it can just attack and kill most enemies on your first turn. So if she kills 1, and then your dogs and stuns lockdown another 4 ish targets, you rarely have to take a hit. But you gotta keep an eye on enemy immunities for stun and make sure you can kill those ones fast.

Honestly, your post sounds like you've had some fun:M And now I'm interested in playing the witch as well.
Also, if sandbox felt not engaging enough, there's a quest mode - there you get three chains of fights, each ending with a bossfight, after which you are free to start again with the same character.

My first successful character was angel + acolyte of Hyperion + knight order of steel. At the time I didnt know shit about mechanics, so I just spammed recruits and relied on them, with support of my heals and occasional light damage spell. Funny that due to how game mechanics work I've frequently accidentally turned healing cards into heal+damage and damaged myself.:retarded:
I've invested mostly in angelic magic, religion and leadership, and a bit in angelic runes which turned to be less useful because of mediocre cards. This worked well enough until level five or eight when enemies started to hit harder and oneshot my recruits.
Around this time I've found some hood - every thing equipped gives you a card to use in combat each turn - which had fire amplify property, that increased fire damage. And then, I've noticed that A LOT of "religion" cards deal fire damage, deal increased fire dmg to heretics, or allow to mark enemies as heretics, making them susceptible for increased dmg. Naturally, I've jumped on this train, and built my new deck around wondrous cards like "purifying fire" (deal fire dmg to 2 random targets and give them stacks of burning), "fan the flames" (deal dmg, deal additional dmg if on fire, and add more burning stacks), "mark heretic" (duh), some card with heretic damage and several heal + def. Also, I've got some perks, one giving me a ring that could each turn cast one of three spells (fire/burn, light/fire, shield) and others increasing fire dmg, dmg against evil and so on.
This shit escalated really quickly and soon I snowballed so much, that I've been able to put tons of burn stacks, overkilling targets with ridiculous 200 dmg/turn.
:timetoburn:
There were also some light damage cards, and I've also found an interesting retribution + wrath mechanic where you put stacks of buffs on yoursel that are expended to increase damage of some cards.

I've did a good half of quest chains (the so called "challenge" quests), where most of the quests opened new ones on completion and had a vague semplance of plot, then went to the local mt Doom, started an endgame quest that was basically a boss rush with every other boss from game challenges and won it.

On the topic of repetitiveness - yes, at times I've wished for some form of autocombat or "macro" to cast several of my equipment spells in predefined order. Each turn I had to first use sun amulet to increase def/deal light dmg, then use fire hood to amplify fire, then another amplify from armor, then the knight ring to get that burn spell, then slash someone with angelic sword, then cast casting hand cards properly.

Last edited:

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I found going full undead necromancer(Resurgant Tenebris faction/Undead Revenant/Acolyte of Morhellis) to be a rather effective combination. Things were getting so easy at certain point that i decided to tackle the final challenge even though i was 9 levels below recommended level. It took three attempts until i won.
Another nice combo i personally liked was centaur/vampire hunter with a healer background. Took a bit of time to get this one going compared to undead necromancer.

While i do like most of the system tweaks in chronicles i miss a few things like the way lairs worked in rebom or permament companions being more common.
As the other people already mentioned, it's a big shame that apart from mechanical changes chronicles is an absolutely the same game as the first one, not even the random events are different.
Would recommend waiting until Chronicles get more content.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Anyone play this?
Kinda. It's good, mechanics-wise. The guy remade the game as Erannorth Chronicles, which is better.

The reason why I don't constantly play it is because you either play a rogue-lite run, or you need to start a 100h+ sandbox RPG campaign.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Returned to Erannorth Chronicles recently.
Sandbox RPG mode remained practically unchanged. At the beginning you're spending way too much time fighting the same enemy groups and witnessing the same random events you could see in Reborn over an over again. There is no way in hell i am completing a 100h+ RPG campaign before wanting to try a completely new character and starting all over again. Can see where anvi complaints about grinding are coming from.
There is also more classes/subclasses and factions to choose from compared to the last time i played. Character building and figuring out effective synergies still remains the undisputable best part of the game.

Like, you can go with something super vanilla like Glade Elf/Hunter/Ranger subclass which is a stupid strong combination right from the get go. Multiple ways to put marks on enemies, a permament animal companion with good abilities, high damage from your marksmanship cards and some strong healing from survival cards. Can probably even forego alchemy, invest a little in Nature magic and pick Fay Alliance as your faction for extra power.
Or you can go with vrygga(?)/something/gypsy elf Performer/Bard who plays completely differently. Bard starts with the most minimal amount of direct damage cards and instead focuses heavely on cards with the befriend effect which completely removes the enemy from battle provided their HP or Attack power are low enough. So your main battle plan consists of weakening enemies and dropping their health just low enough so that you can use these befriend cards. Also very strong at the beginning.
Performer/Dancer class on other hand is focused on seduction cards and control effects. She fights by turning enemies into her personal simps. Yet to figure out a good racial combo for this class.
Elemental/Vulcan race seems to be almost custom made for Enyo Acolyte class. Enyo Acolyte is class that focuses on fire and blood magic and starts with a card that makes your allies apply multiple burns upon death. Vulcan race on the other hand starts with a card that amplifies your fire affinity based on how many burns you applied this turn. So your ideal main early game tactic consists of summoning the vigor mortis ally, putting a "apply burns upond death" on him, use the "amplify fire for each burn" card, promptly suicide bomb your vigor mortis dude, blast enemies with a blood magic spell that gives further burns and finish them off with your racial fire magic cards. Neat combo.
Elemental/Tenebrae + Shadow Mage combo is a bit trickier to pull off early in comparison. Tenebrae get a similar card that amplifies dark affinity based on how many weaken effects you applied this turn and they also get a card that converts all your concealment into further amplify dark affinity based on how high the % was. Combined with their racial + all concealment effects you should get an idea on what cards you should put in your deck. With the right hand this combo can too delete the enemy screen.
Noble/Courtier is probably one the trickier classes to figure out. Early one you will suffer some AP management issues so you should carefully consider your starting bonuses and cards. You definitely don't need to start with that 5 AP card that deals phys damage and boost your ally damage if you manage to kill someone with it
Didn't figure out an effective combo for a druid yet that is not Shapeshifter race + Clawshifter subclass. Clawshifter is designed around boosting your shapeshifter/natural weapons cards while also giving access to combat cards which is very nice for werewolf races and all but i am more interested in those subclasses that will allow me transform into something cool later like stone elemental or forest dragon. All druid classes also suffer from AP management issue early on i noticed.
Same thing about Mercenary/Berserker subclass which i found to be interesting. You get a penalty to summons and your hand size is reduced but in exchange you get couple of huge boosts to your combat cards. Starts strong enough to oneshot certain enemies with but a simpliest of combos but runs out of AP way too quickly, no good idea how to remedy this.

All in all, character building is fun.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yes, my issue is that I feel Chronicles doesn't play to the strength of the game. This is a roguelike with a million build options, why would you focus on extremely long campaigns?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Yes, my issue is that I feel Chronicles doesn't play to the strength of the game. This is a roguelike with a million build options, why would you focus on extremely long campaigns?
The runs are just there and do their thing. Would you rather it went StS with more puzzle-like encounters but somewhat predictable runs? Or how else would you improve it.

Katerina

Novice
Hey everyone, I stumbled upon this topic on Google a while ago, and it dissuaded me from picking up chronicles at the time. And then again today, after I have clocked over 800 hours in it.

I wish I hadn't seen it back then, as I now deeply regret not getting the game sooner. I made the leap of faith in a discount a while back, and bought the main game first. Then got all the DLCs in the latest sale. I've logged around 300 hours in Reborn and so far about 840 in chronicles, and I'm still not bored. That's my personal opinion, of course, but, some points made here are a bit off. Of course some are from much older posts, which explain the discrepancies with my own experience. But since this topic has been brought up again, I'd like to give my 5 cents too.

a) The assertion that reborn has more content is plainly incorrect. Even without its 5 expansions, chronicles offers more builds than reborn does with all 4 of its expansions. Each of the expansions in chronicles then adds a lot of new cards, like more than StS has in the base game, and enemies, but also quests, events, npcs etc. They are imho much more interesting than reborn and pretty cheap considering the huge additions they provide.

b) The sandbox mode doesn't take 100+ hours. You can wrap it up in 4-6 hours if you aim for the easy endgame in Deimos chasm. If you're targeting the Droch theine endgame, it might take up to 20 hours max. The actual time will vary depending on your build, but on average, it's around this range. The cool thing is that you decide how much you love the character and when you want it to end.

c) Cronicles requires about 10x times *less* grinding than reborn. For starters, areas consist of 10 nodes at max, about half of which are battles. And the game actively tries to discourage grinding. For instance, visiting easier green areas won't yield as much XP and PP compared to the white (normal) or orange (hard) areas. If you find yourself spending a lot of time leveling, or battling the same groups repeatedly, you might be playing it too safe? After level 2, try instead going for mostly challenges and a few repeatables with at least white color (normal). You'll be wrapping your first build in Deimos chasm in no time. For me personally, the chasm endgame is doable as early as 9 level. I read that others have done it by 6 or 7. Again your mileage will vary, but the recommended 18, is probably a suggestion for new players, that never played Reborn and struggle with the mechanics.

d) Chronicles isn't actually a roguelike; you can save and load at your convenience any time you like. However, if you want to play it like a "roguelike deckbuilder", meaning gauntlet and permadeath, nobody's stopping you. There are several gauntlet modes, with most of them hidden in the book of heroes, that you can access after completing the Quest mode. There's also the Quick Challenge mode and the ui editor to craft your own gauntlet modes. The new presets are superb in managing multiple builds fast, so I'd say, all in all, chronicles offers more options than reborn did, even as a roguelike! The way I see it, sandbox is way more interesting than it was in reborn, and the same old gauntlet mode is there too, but with like 100 more builds to try?

e) Chronicles has all the events that Reborn had, sure, but when I asked the dev he told me that there are 50 or so new, and over 60 npc-driven stories etc. Considering that reborn had like 20? that's wayyy more. The caveat, is that if you're focusing on challenges, you might miss them. These events have a low chance of appearing on the map but a higher likelihood while exploring the various repeatable areas in the world. Being in which environment, when, at what level etc. also matters. But personally I always see new stuff at every playthrough, and I don't mind the repeating corpses early on, as it's just a way to loot cards. It could be a "hey you found a spell book with these spells on", like every other game, but at least to me, it feels more immersive.

All that said, keep in mind that even though I am a fan-girl, I still accept that this isn't a game for everyone. ie. It's not StS and it doesn't try to be, and that could be a pretty huge turn-off to many peeps. Still, for anyone who comes across this post, I'd encourage you to give the game a shot—it's genuinely one of the best indie games I've ever played. This topic is sadly a bit outdated, and this great game doesn't have the coverage and press it deserves.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
The caveat, is that if you're focusing on challenges, you might miss them. These events have a low chance of appearing on the map but a higher likelihood while exploring the various repeatable areas in the world.
Didn't know that, will check this out.
Edit: First thing i usually do on the overworld map is to quickly complete the first green area in order to check if my build idea is viable or not. After that i ignore all repeatable areas and go straight for every white challenge and treasure hunt that is nearby.
Guess this is where my complaint about samey beginning is coming from.
Edit 2:

Katerina

You weren't lying. There really is a lot of new content hidden in those repeatable areas. I retract my statement about sameness of encounters and stuff.
Guess i am going to waste another 100 hours on this game. Thanks!

Last edited:

Arthandas

Prophet
Hey everyone, I stumbled upon this topic on Google a while ago, and it dissuaded me from picking up chronicles at the time. And then again today, after I have clocked over 800 hours in it.
Damn, I guess I'll have to get it on the nearest sale.

Arthandas

Prophet
I tried Chronicles and even though on paper it seems like a perfect game for me I just couldn't get into it. There are thousands of cards and hundreds of opponents but paradoxically the game feels barren. You make your character and are dumped into a random town with zero story or context. Your character is just a walking bag of stats and the gameplay consists of wandering around with no purpose and killing random enemies until you're either bored or strong enough to kill the main boss. Apart from random events there are no NPCs to talk to, quests are mmo tier go-there-kill-that fillers, no choices and consequences, zero roleplaying opportunities. It doesn't matter whether you're a demon, angel or undead, no one ever acknowledges it and nothing changes gameplaywise, you can still rest at inns, visit shops, consume rations... The "sandbox" feels paper thin, there's only one way to play this game - visit towns and kill monsters. Whether you're a lich or a demon summoner you can't hurt a single NPC or attack a village. Feels like the sandbox formula is just hurting the game. It lacks focus and tight design of other deckbuilders. I think it would be much better with a linear progression like in Slay the Spire (and various towns presented as nodes) or a zone to zone like in Tainted Grail Conquest.

Since the game is dead set on the sandbox formula, I wish the dev implemented a proper story, quests and general interactivity with the world instead of bloating the total card number with each additional expansion. If the base game has 5k cards, you're not really improving it by adding 500 more... It feels more like a build generator, than a proper game.

I played it only for around 5h so take everything I wrote with a grain of salt, more like "initial impressions" considering the scope of the game. I may be dead wrong, who knows, there are a lot of modes/difficulties, maybe I need to find a proper one for me.

Katerina

Novice
Certainly, this game is not for everyone. It's definitely not Baldur's Gate, nor is it a roguelite like StS. In my opinion, it's perfect in its current form, especially with the Ultimate Edition which includes all five expansions, adding dozens of stories and NPCs. However, that's beside the point. Those who love this game likely do so not for the story but for the immense variety of builds available. They probably also recognize that everything serves as a pretext for engaging in card battles.

Personally, I find more enjoyment playing as an angel or a demon in this game than in Wrath of the Righteous. The sandbox and exploration elements are flawlessly integrated; each area, challenge, and location provides unique and distinct cards unavailable elsewhere.

Sp, the paths you choose and the quests you undertake all have their own significance. And playing one species or the other hugely affect your final build.

But, if you don't enjoy the loop of collecting, building decks, theorycrafting, fighting, and repeating, you might be better off with a different game for sure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom