Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Visual Novel Recomendation Thread

Yes, if we remove bad coloring, the art with bad coloring looks better. If we ignore that the murderer killed someone, he is innocent.

Nostaljaded

Savant
On a side note, does Diablo 3 look better than D1/D2 with removed colors?
Did Blizzard commit seppuku in the artistic dept (even before colors are added)?

I don't have D3 but can attempt to do the image processing if someone uploads/points to 2 similar lossless images of the same character class facing the same direction in town for D3 and at native game resolution (for D1/D2) and then the above question could be answered.

Not sure will turn out well though due to the characters and backgrounds do not have as much contrast/as large character model size as VNs. Ok to compare if it's some other game as long as the sequel is bashed-by-many for its artistic direction and done by the same developer.

zmHZgx4.png
zj6bEDc.png

rqUeZ5k.png
3WScSmd.png

J4hgONf.png
P0mn52j.png

uS61XJ0.png
ALueOdV.png

3p2p1SU.png
Ydesto0.png

DOS version only has day/night effects for backgrounds

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Any good?

The gist of the VN is that it is a big Werewolf (think Mafia or Witch of Salem which is more common in the West I think?) game with a twist

I personally really like it. Mind you it is not the kind of VN where you think the choice for routes, it is mostly linear (you play each route in succession to the "true route"). The MC is doing the thinking for you so don't come in with the expectation of this being a "detective" VN like Kara no Shojo.

After you finish the game, there is revelation mode where it gives you the perspective of other characters during the previous routes (usually enhancing and making you have a better understanding of what happened in the previous routes as those perspectives are usually from each chapter's villains and side characters).

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
MIsa was most popular gurl in Doukyuusei 1 so she was put in 2

gK7DM62.png

wMttGMp.png

Haven't done her route in 2. In fact I haven't seen quite a few routes, the game exhausted me.

What was nice about 1 was how light-hearted it was. You could easily get all the gurl (only a few are mutually exclusive) and still get a nice happy end without too much drama.

Tyrr

Liturgist
Just finished Robotics;Notes. Enjoyed it even I already watched the anime a few years ago. But it has (like all VN of the Science Adventure series) a very stupid route select system. It is also basically a kinetic VN, disguised as a non-linear VN.
So use a walkthrough if you don't want to ruin the story for you.

Frau Koujiro best girl.

kawLyWI.jpg

Nostaljaded

Savant
abnaxus,
Doukyuusei 2 1997 Windows version has higher game resolution with VA, your (PC98?) version does have good dithering though.
4GRXajq.png
DacyOKe.png

ANDgsVf.png
NgSDi8F.png

w6E5N5M.png
2zCov4D.png

FYI for others: time period for this game is set during winter school holidays.
-------------------
On a related note,
Doukyuusei 2021 remake compared to 1999 Windows version:
+ More professionally-recorded new VAs with individual volume sliders
+ Easy Mode

~ Redesigned, recolored higher resolution (FHD) artwork

- Still prefer the more grounded boobs in DOS/WIN version

WEnSU3e.png
LAC1Pcc.png

FYENSYw.png
eWFeJL0.png

Z9umOgi.png
p3nuzAR.png

W0NGPzv.png
a0GyMUO.png

ix18Kqx.png
JgmFMlU.png

1VSU8VE.png
4OlvBci.png

2aBXBn1.png
HXKOt5J.png

FFqufVm.png
IzvvQN9.png

e8eHV1d.png
14Rv2yU.png

p7PWc2T.png
OsOrZUX.png

Spot the diff in the last CG, to know that artists back then (DOS version too) were doing good work.
If you know Jap, don't mind playing with a time schedule guide/prefer playing blind and have ample gaming time, get the ¥4,180 Windows version, instead of the ¥8,800 Remake.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Is DEJA Windows remake worth a buck?

I like that in this game you have female sidekick who provides her own batch of sarcastic commentary另

l8n6v4W.gif

hAFqBH8.gif

y4Dj8AV.gif

j5lotIW.gif

vqr0bUk.gif

0OuwJ2j.gif

IMXjLld.gif

Q42nqi2.gif

mC2iHgs.gif

bHB2kxh.gif

5WbVkGG.gif

TEAC4Yp.gif

Ji3EDEJ.gif

Czsibp6.gif

WYwZNT2.gif

8pTz21O.gif

C6iSUfD.gif

hGJUsPj.gif

JV0AyIc.gif

saAXWon.gif

jPpDB39.gif

dY6zPoi.gif

XZCB3e2.gif

MpOPVHh.gif

8mqyvo8.gif

YfZmnJo.gif

Jtb5o1C.gif

10QaNQ1.gif

87AtYDb.gif

gtYxRX7.gif

XoJLR01.gif

WlVRowU.gif

qQgEXjd.gif

Nostaljaded

Savant
If upgraded graphics and average-to-decent VA are worthy. :)

ErvhYKu.png
6cfAgRI.png

SstHhIu.png
5IiD4aY.png
How's DEJA's writing?
Dropped it due to dialogue-navigation-fest, may want to attempt again as it's mentioned on web that this is the title where 蛭田昌人's writing have matured.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
And I need to find this Tv show.

What happun?

oh...nvm

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Simply comparing numbers of reviews won't be accurate estimation but the first game has more reviews (and 92% positive) than each of Zero Escape games.

Jackpot

Learned
How does that hack Uchikoshi keep getting greenlights for new games? He's had so many financial disasters and all of his stories recycle the same hackneyed twists that it has started to become almost pathetic.
On an unrelated note, yes I have played every game that he has made and will be buying this one.

Gonna post in here since there isn't a thread for it already and I don't feel like making a thread for such a small post, but I played Danganronpa 1 for the first time and enjoyed it.

Surprised me because I'm normally quite anti-anime, but I figured I'd roll the dice and try it given I had enjoyed Phoenix Wright in the past and I thought Japanese story shenanigans may work for me in the context of a laid back adventure game and that appears to be the case. Without going into spoilers there's a lot of dumb shit that goes on in Danganronpa and a lot of really shallow characters, and the teenagers in a school setting puts it right on line for being the weebiest most disagreeable anime possible for me and yet I had a really nice time. I'll say that the minigames are a definite miss, the Phoenix Wright system of not having timers and shit fits the style of game far better, but by god I've got 30 hours played and I enjoyed the lot. The "School" mode I may bail on, some weird grindy thing they tacked on (Apparently wasn't in the original version) that lets you raise relationships with the characters and do a really basic little resource management game, but that's no great loss if I don't finish it.

Grabbed Danganronpa 2 and 3 at the same time and I'll get to them eventually, and given how much I liked 1 I'll probably pick up Ultra Despair Girls at some point though I don't know if it's a weird shooter or what the fuck's going on. Also picked up the Zero Escape trilogy at the same time (Same general reasoning as Phoenix Wright and Danganronpa, could be that niche appeals to me) and Steins;Gate 1 and 0 (Less convinced it'll appeal to me since what I dig from the others is goofy story with light adventure gaming, but I figured I'd try a VN-proper and my extremely casual observation seemed to suggest that's one of the best ones. Plus I like time travel stories in general).

Pretty useless post for people who already play these or have a taste for them, but I feel obliged to make it on the grounds that I am (Apparently) a fringe case where dumb anime shit is fun in regard to adventure gaming presumably because adventure games do a lot of really dumb shit themselves, so if some other person reads this and likes adventure games (Simple though. Not quite Telltale levels of simplicity but you'll never be stuck on anything for long) and doesn't like anime, consider giving them a go regardless.

Tyrr

Liturgist
Steins;Gate 1 and 0 (Less convinced it'll appeal to me since what I dig from the others is goofy story with light adventure gaming, but I figured I'd try a VN-proper and my extremely casual observation seemed to suggest that's one of the best ones. Plus I like time travel stories in general)
A lot of people get filtered during the first half of S;G because it's very light-hearted and "goofy". So I guess you will like it.

Lucumo

Educated
The "School" mode I may bail on, some weird grindy thing they tacked on (Apparently wasn't in the original version) that lets you raise relationships with the characters and do a really basic little resource management game, but that's no great loss if I don't finish it.
Played the original on the PSP way back then and I definitely do not remember it. So it's probably something they added for the degenerates that occupy the VN space these days.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
GOG recently had a sale on some VNs. I decided to buy the last 4 of the chapters in
Higurashi When They Cry Hou and Bleeding Moon. Others I looked at as thorough reviews as possible. Some seem a little meh. The VTM maybe and I saw a few odd ones The House in Fata Morgana, Synergia, Dry Drowning, Amnesia Memories, Eden, Eliza, and Umineko When they Cry (hey i like HUGE TITS on waifu but not too huge.. there look ok).

Older stuff I'll have to look to emulating. I don't like how GOG /Steam Milks the $$$ breaking up chapters. Kinda bullshit imho.

Tyrr

Liturgist
For all the degenerates, Manga Gamer has a sale right now: https://mangagamer.org/summer-mg

GOG recently had a sale on some VNs. I decided to buy the last 4 of the chapters in
Higurashi When They Cry Hou and Bleeding Moon. Others I looked at as thorough reviews as possible. Some seem a little meh. The VTM maybe and I saw a few odd ones The House in Fata Morgana, Synergia, Dry Drowning, Amnesia Memories, Eden, Eliza, and Umineko When they Cry (hey i like HUGE TITS on waifu but not too huge.. there look ok).

Older stuff I'll have to look to emulating. I don't like how GOG /Steam Milks the $$$ breaking up chapters. Kinda bullshit imho.
For Higurashi or Umineko, get the 7th mod: https://07th-mod.com/home/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom