Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
You’ve got some potential, Mangoose. When you discover opportunity cost you may actually start making some sense.

Love how all the Sneak theorycrafting uses lvl 20 math when the one time I made it to lvl 20 Sneaks were chip damage.

Sneaks are better the smaller the group because they don’t care about group buffs and abilities. Look into those if you’re playing with six.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
You’ve got some potential, Mangoose. When you discover opportunity cost you may actually start making some sense.

Love how all the Sneak theorycrafting uses lvl 20 math when the one time I made it to lvl 20 Sneaks were chip damage.

Sneaks are better the smaller the group because they don’t care about group buffs and abilities. Look into those if you’re playing with six.
Dude. I"m linking shit I wouldn't do. I would rather have my team disable the enemy for my Rogue to sneak attack. (Or just keep him flanking)

Edit: Well I guess it's a different story PNP because you only play one character. It's not guaranteed that your party members are any smart lol. So then you'd get bored.

Parabalus

Arcane
Pretty much no mechanically advantage to being evil as well.
Jaethal's undead advantage is too good, ironically. It's kind of immersion breaking watching enemies cast vampiric touch on her, simply because she is at the front of the party.

You can be good and still enjoy her almost until the end.
And if you're a really good boy, you get her back before the end.

But alive, without the undead goodies.

hell bovine

Arcane
Jaethal's undead advantage is too good, ironically. It's kind of immersion breaking watching enemies cast vampiric touch on her, simply because she is at the front of the party.
Well it's not like it's obvious. At the start of the game she had to tell Linzi and Tartucio she's undead.
Yeah, but these were the demons (or whatever they are) in the cyclops zombie dungeon. And they did not switch targets.

Desiderius

Patron

She gets new ones.

Parabalus

Arcane

She gets new ones.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The AI in this game allows you to lure enemies from their group and kill them one by one. I just defeated the Stag Lord this way. Actually, it was the bear who did it.

No such bullshit in IWD2.

Delterius

Arcane
Should you need one? The 'evil companions are powerful and all but being evil is not really possible' thing Baldurs Gate did is unnecessary here. You can be a Goodly ruler or an Evil tyrant. Or something in between with its own personality. You can gloat at your enemies, reap vengeance upon rival states and work your subjects dry. Or you can proclaim virtues of rule, be friendly towards other countries and tax people reasonably. Story paths should be valid in their own right. No carrots needed for evil characters since the stick is busy hitting peasants all night.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
The AI in this game allows you to lure enemies from their group and kill them one by one. I just defeated the Stag Lord this way. Actually, it was the bear who did it.

No such bullshit in IWD2.
...That may be because by IWD2, the team already had experience wit Falllout/Fallout2/BG1/2/TOB, IWD 1... (and PST lol). By "experience" I mean that each game showed what works/doesn't work. Iteration.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
...That may be because by IWD2, the team already had experience wit Falllout/Fallout2/BG1/2/TOB, IWD 1... (and PST lol). By "experience" I mean that each game showed what works/doesn't work. Iteration.
Yeah. Owlcat was starting from scratch. It's not like they've played those games.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Yeah. Owlcat was starting from scratch. It's not like they've played those games.
Why would that help? Playing those games doesn't mean you know the source code, and your engine is different. AI may be quick to design but enjoy coding it.

Desiderius

Patron
What’s your point? There are various ways to “solve” the Fort area with full frontal assault being the hardest. Unleashing the Owlbear takes a certain dialogue choice, a reasonably tough skill check, and some non-obvious tactical set-up.

This is what we want. Stop shitting on it just to give you some grist for empty tough guy posturing.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
What’s your point? There are various ways to “solve” the Fort area with full frontal assault being the hardest. Unleashing the Owlbear takes a certain dialogue choice, a reasonably tough skill check, and some non-obvious tactical set-up.

This is what we want. Stop shitting on it just to give you some grist for empty tough guy posturing.
The stupid Owlbear bugged on me. I finally managed that one by sneaking my team up the stairs up to where the Staglord was standing, I had either an animal companion or party member ready on the left platform... And then my summoner played decoy for the main group, leading them away to the gate. Loll.

Edit: Desiderius 100% correct on the frontal assault. If you're doing a frontal assault every time, that means you're playing the game instead of playing the encounter.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Yes. And it's cool those options are there. Nice. Bit gamey, but whatever.

How does it change the fact you can attract those fuckers one by one because enemies who are outside of your "attraction circle" will just stand there? It's even more annoying since the "attraction circle" is smaller than your vision range.
Stop shitting on it just to give you some grist for empty tough guy posturing.
You're obviously very emotionally attached to this game. Nothing wrong with that. You do you.

I am experiencing it for the first time. I've played KotC, ToEE, and IWD2 in the last year, and all of those games have silly and shitty things. PoK is no different and I hope it proves to be at least on the level of those other games. So far it's trying, but stumbling along the way.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

How does it change the fact you can attract those fuckers one by one because enemies who are outside of your "attraction circle" will just stand there? It's even more annoying since the "attraction circle" is smaller than your vision range.
Stop shitting on it just to give you some grist for empty tough guy posturing.
You're obviously very emotionally attached to this game. Nothing wrong with that. You do you.

I am experiencing it for the first time. I've played KotC, ToEE, and IWD2 in the last year, and all of those games have silly and shitty things. PoK is no different and I hope it proves to be at least on the level of those other games. So far it's trying, but stumbling along the way.
Uh honestly you're not going to get great AI until modders come. This is the game development process -> some time designing, more time coding, and then months debugging, trying to hunt for a missing bracket or semicolon.

I mean, BG1/BG2 would be SOOOO much crappier if not for SCS: https://gibberlings3.github.io/Documentation/readmes/readme-stratagems.html#aitweaks Smart guys, one of the ways they let you change difficulty was whether or not enemy mages prebuffed. Well, I might as well quote it here:

1. BASIC: Enemies choose their targets and use their spells fairly unintelligently. They refrain from using some of their more dangerous special abilities and spells. (This is roughly the level of the unmodified game's 'Core' difficulty.)
  2. IMPROVED: Intelligent enemies attack and use their powers fairly sensibly, though most will not use class abilities, and some of their most dangerous special abilities are still avoided.
  3. TACTICAL: Enemies continue to use intelligence in their targetting, and now use most of their powers and often call for help from nearby allies. Spellcasters begin casting some spells in advance of combat, especially if they arrive in the area in sight of the party. Some supernatural creatures gain the ability to use their abilities instantly and uninterruptably.
  4. HARDCORE: Enemies now use all of their powers as effectively as they can; a small number receive a boost to hit points. Some enemy numbers are increased. Spellcasters more aggressively cast spells in advance. In the later game, some of the most powerful spellcasters begin to use High-Level Abilities.
  5. INSANE: Several enemies receive further boosts to their abilities and their numbers; spellcasters aggressively cast spells before combat; use of High-Level Abilities now occurs (for the most powerful spellcasters) throughout the game.
And it's still being worked on right now (I don't know why, it's already insane enough). I'm pretty sure they've been working on this over a decade. I don't know where the entire changelog is but Version 22 was back in 2013, when they combined SCS1 and SCS2 as they were somewhat developed separately.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

Just wanted to point out... the options are how you play the game. Attracting enemies is the same as "gaming the system" in MMOs, where you're always trying to pull as little enemies as possible. THAT'S gamey. In essence, what you're doing is exploiting one of the things they didn't could figure a way to patch up, or didn't have time, or didn't notice, or didn't have the $$$ to hire playtesters. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

There's a reason I stopped wanting to be a code monkey. You spend WAY more time debugging than actually designing and writing. And the more complexity, the greater the debugging process. And it is NOT fun. Hell, just by coding experience is a big deal.

Desiderius

Patron
You're obviously very emotionally attached to this game.

Oh Jesus fucking Christ with the armchair psychoanalysis. I’m so emotionally attached I got kicked off the Owlcat forums for criticizing it.

I am emotionally attached to criticism that makes sense and that makes games better. If you go through the trouble not to be detected by the other dudes and lure one guy off to check on something you should get rewarded for that. It’s not easy to do on that map nor should you really need to once you’ve gone that far. You’re nitpicking an outstanding encounter design.

Is it because you’re a miserable pussy who hates life because you suck at it? Not really my business to speculate.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If you go through the trouble not to be detected by the other dudes and lure one guy off to check on something you should get rewarded for that.
Not what happens though. I'm walking in range of a guy who stands a feet away from the boss. The guy goes after me, the boss doesn't. Even though he is in my field of view. Looks silly, plays silly, it's silly. And immersion breaking, which is a big deal.
It’s not easy to do on that map nor should you really need to once you’ve gone that far
It is extremely easy. I didn't need to do that, but the fight was pretty difficult. I've only managed to do half of the things you can do to weaken him before I was spotted. His arrows were vicious.

Not a bad encounter. It's the AI that's broken.

ANOTHER THING. Destroy undead, and probably most aoe abilities, are restricted to one room, even when the doors are opened. I couldn't destroy the undead in Old Sycamore caves (where those pressure plates are) because they were standing on the other side of the wide-opened passage, 5 feet away from me and in the line of sight.

Call it nitpicking. I call it some lame bullshit.

Parabalus

Arcane
Should you need one? The 'evil companions are powerful and all but being evil is not really possible' thing Baldurs Gate did is unnecessary here. You can be a Goodly ruler or an Evil tyrant. Or something in between with its own personality. You can gloat at your enemies, reap vengeance upon rival states and work your subjects dry. Or you can proclaim virtues of rule, be friendly towards other countries and tax people reasonably. Story paths should be valid in their own right. No carrots needed for evil characters since the stick is busy hitting peasants all night.

Difference is that good has plenty of carrots.

Delterius

Arcane

Difference is that good has plenty of carrots.
none of them is 'gets to torture stefano moskoni to death' so you're wrong

Desiderius

Patron
I was fibbing Shad.

I got suspended for a week because one guy was mad that I challenged his claim to authority. He talked to the manager and manager was lazy. Same thing at Steam. People there got along.

Point stands that I'm vocal about criticisms and my reaction to lousy criticisms is about lousy criticisms not undue attachment to game as is.

The only thing I'm telling people is to try the game as designed before listening to the screaming coaches (or their own hangups they bring into it) so they'll have something to compare it to.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
I call it some lame bullshit.

Yeah, I think you may just have had something bad to eat.

Sorc8ControlledFBall.jpg

These trolls are in another room. Or maybe something bugged about that tomb or maybe you didn't have line of sight or maybe you missed your attack roll.

Destroy Undead is a Ray. It requires a touch attack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom